What's new

Need cat advice (1 Viewer)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I introduced 2 new cats to the household almost a year ago now. Every few months since then, someone begins peeing outside the litterbox - it's always near the box, just not in it. I've tried lots of boxes, in lots of places. I'm using CatAttract litter and their favorite litter Scoop Away (which had the cat attract additive from the vet in it for a while). I've tried Feliway diffusers and sprays. I've tried reintroducing the cats. I've put food in the areas soiled to prevent them from doing again. I've moved the litter boxes over an inch or two and added 2 more boxes for a total of 4. Everytime I've soaked the carpet and padding with Nature's Miracle. One time I even replaced the carpet padding.

Most of the time when they've gone outside the box, the areas "chosen" were also areas chosen by the previous owner's stupid little dog. The seller had managed to hide the soiled areas with furniture, boxes, and numerous hidden anti-odor stuff so I didn't know what I bought until it was too late. I thought I had managed to clean most of it out, but I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't or couldn't.

Could the cats, when stressed, be trying to cover-up a doggie odor they are smelling?

This is basically my last hope. If this doesn't solve it, the new cats could find themselves at the shelter again - and for all I know this may not be their fault and this may not solve the problem.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Are they sharing one litterbox? You might need two boxes.
Change the litter often--cats don't like dirty litter boxes.
Good luck!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'll keep my fingers crossed that this goes better than the last cat thread.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

We suspected a similar problem in our home when we had our cats. After a flood due to a sump pump failure, we think the smell from the previous homeowner's dog was enhanced and our male cat sought out a spot in the basement near the bar. Once we ripped out the carpet, sealed the floor and installed vinyl tile he stopped going in that area.

Good luck.

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest doggie problem area had very recent cat urine on it. I yanked the carpet up and got the shock of my life. You can actually see stains in the OSB - that is not from my cats.

With 2 bedroom out of 3 bedrooms out of commission I'm in for some very serious territorial disputes. I ran out to Lowe's and got some kilz spray, 3 plastic carpet runner remnants, and a 12' x 3' remnant of vinyl flooring. The original area is going to get a second coating of Kilz right now (I'm playing it safe). The padding has been tossed and the carpet is drying from the Nature's Miracle. Once everything is sealed and dry I'm going to put the carpet runner on it and put the litter box back on top.

I've already ripped the tack strips from the really bad area and will remove both the padding and carpet and temporarily put the vinyl there until I can get the carpet and baseboard replaced. Do you think Kilz be enough on the OSB?

And I have 4 litter boxes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Another thing to try is rescue remedy. Its a flower essence oil made for human use, but we find it it useful for our cats. We put a few drop in their drinking water and it provides a calming effect. If there's any tension on the cat's part, this might help.

No guarantee, but it might help. You can find it at health food stores but here's a link for it: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/741273003922.html

It's the best price I've seen for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks