-

Photo
- - - - -

Need cat advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 07:14 AM

I introduced 2 new cats to the household almost a year ago now. Every few months since then, someone begins peeing outside the litterbox - it's always near the box, just not in it. I've tried lots of boxes, in lots of places. I'm using CatAttract litter and their favorite litter Scoop Away (which had the cat attract additive from the vet in it for a while). I've tried Feliway diffusers and sprays. I've tried reintroducing the cats. I've put food in the areas soiled to prevent them from doing again. I've moved the litter boxes over an inch or two and added 2 more boxes for a total of 4. Everytime I've soaked the carpet and padding with Nature's Miracle. One time I even replaced the carpet padding.

Most of the time when they've gone outside the box, the areas "chosen" were also areas chosen by the previous owner's stupid little dog. The seller had managed to hide the soiled areas with furniture, boxes, and numerous hidden anti-odor stuff so I didn't know what I bought until it was too late. I thought I had managed to clean most of it out, but I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't or couldn't.

Could the cats, when stressed, be trying to cover-up a doggie odor they are smelling?

This is basically my last hope. If this doesn't solve it, the new cats could find themselves at the shelter again - and for all I know this may not be their fault and this may not solve the problem.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 08:35 AM

Are they sharing one litterbox? You might need two boxes.
Change the litter often--cats don't like dirty litter boxes.
Good luck!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 08:40 AM

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this goes better than the last cat thread.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,512 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 03 2006 - 09:45 AM

Quote:
Everytime I've soaked the carpet and padding with Nature's Miracle. One time I even replaced the carpet padding.

Have you replaced the carpeting along with the pad? Once the smell of cat urine gets in the carpet, I doubt you'll be able to get it out completely.

Quote:
Most of the time when they've gone outside the box, the areas "chosen" were also areas chosen by the previous owner's stupid little dog.

We suspected a similar problem in our home when we had our cats. After a flood due to a sump pump failure, we think the smell from the previous homeowner's dog was enhanced and our male cat sought out a spot in the basement near the bar. Once we ripped out the carpet, sealed the floor and installed vinyl tile he stopped going in that area.

Good luck.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 10:07 AM

The biggest doggie problem area had very recent cat urine on it. I yanked the carpet up and got the shock of my life. You can actually see stains in the OSB - that is not from my cats.

With 2 bedroom out of 3 bedrooms out of commission I'm in for some very serious territorial disputes. I ran out to Lowe's and got some kilz spray, 3 plastic carpet runner remnants, and a 12' x 3' remnant of vinyl flooring. The original area is going to get a second coating of Kilz right now (I'm playing it safe). The padding has been tossed and the carpet is drying from the Nature's Miracle. Once everything is sealed and dry I'm going to put the carpet runner on it and put the litter box back on top.

I've already ripped the tack strips from the really bad area and will remove both the padding and carpet and temporarily put the vinyl there until I can get the carpet and baseboard replaced. Do you think Kilz be enough on the OSB?

And I have 4 litter boxes.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,259 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 05 2006 - 08:52 AM

Another thing to try is rescue remedy. Its a flower essence oil made for human use, but we find it it useful for our cats. We put a few drop in their drinking water and it provides a calming effect. If there's any tension on the cat's part, this might help.

No guarantee, but it might help. You can find it at health food stores but here's a link for it: http://www.luckyvita...1273003922.html

It's the best price I've seen for it.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 09:08 AM

Quote:
Every few months since then, someone begins peeing outside the litterbox - it's always near the box, just not in it.
What if it's not the cats?

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 09:46 AM

> What if it's not the cats?

I was thinking the same thing. Are there kids in the neighborhood?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
I'll keep my fingers crossed that this goes better than the last cat thread.

Crossing my toes now...
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 11:09 AM

I wonder if cats are in the Klipsch family?

Mort

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow