-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Mama's Family" ratings on i Network boad well for DVD releases!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
185 replies to this topic

#21 of 186 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 15 2006 - 04:21 AM

^ Joe, I'm with you on that. I just find it a bit odd that the original press release (http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5883) indicated an estimated 338 minutes, which would break down to 26 minutes EXACTLY per episode.

Yet the rear artwork seems to say 278 (which is 21.3 minutes each). That is corroborated by the WB press site. I'm gonna hold the candle for this one. The difference between 338 and 278 is just too much to be chalked up to "estimates". I guess we have to wait for some reviews, now don't we? Posted Image

#22 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 15 2006 - 08:00 AM

Warner does not seem to have a problem with cutting, but I have no idea of the history of storage/ownership of the materials since producer Joe Hamilton's death in 1991, whether he remarried after his divorce from Carol Burnett, or anything like that.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#23 of 186 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 09:41 AM

We should know pretty quickly if these are syndies or not. Because if they aren't they'll have the Harvey Korman intros.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#24 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 15 2006 - 09:54 AM

Was anything cut from syndication besides the Alastair Quince bits?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#25 of 186 Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 05:40 AM

We at SitcomsOnline.com just got a copy and expect a review in the coming days, but I'm sad to report that each episode runs approx. 21:30.

#26 of 186 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 20 2006 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan_P
We at SitcomsOnline.com just got a copy and expect a review in the coming days, but I'm sad to report that each episode runs approx. 21:30.

If that is the case, I will have to save my money next week, as much as it pains me to say it. I could stomach one or two episodes as syndication cuts, but not the entire season. Posted Image

#27 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 20 2006 - 07:48 AM

I just don't believe this. They can release "Full House" uncut but not this show, which was actually good? Thanks for saving me hundreds of dollars on this and all other Warner TV DVDs FOREVER. And they can shove all the rest of this series, too. I'm also not buying subsequent releases of the other WB TV shows I wanted (only three: Dallas, Knots Landing, and The Waltons). Even Sony hasn't stooped this low*yet (but I wouldn't put it past them).

This is automatically the worst TV DVD release of the year. And they have the nerve to call it "The Complete First Season"?

Does anyone want to join me in an active boycott of Warner Home Video's TV product, or at the very least, campaign to get them to recall the disc and replace it with uncut episodes? Get the word out by any means necessary:

1) Post extremely negative reviews at any web site that has customer reviews (Amazon, et al).
2) Anyone who pre-ordered the set send it back and send them a letter saying why accompanying the returning package.
3) Write to Warner Bros, and tell them that you will not only not buy this set but ANY of their TV DVDs unless they fix this.

Not screwing up future releases is NOT ENOUGH. They need to RECALL this disc, fix it, and offer free replacements to anyone who buys it (which hopefully will be no one).

#28 of 186 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 07:50 AM

ugh, this one is going off the list then

#29 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 20 2006 - 07:51 AM

Here's the contact info as shown on thecinemalaser.com:

DVD Department
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522-1543
Telephone: 818-954-6000
Fax: 818-954-6480

#30 of 186 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 10:42 AM

I cannot believe Warner did this after seeing the way people reacted to ALF, Roseanne and The Cosby Show

#31 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 20 2006 - 11:21 AM

I don't assume for a second that there are no uncut tapes that are good enough for DVD mastering (the excuse we'll probably get) because:

1) The show is under 25 years old. Videotape, if stored properly, can last fairly long.

2) There are 3/4" umatic tapes at the Library of Congress made at the time of copyright deposit.

3) NBC had at least 4 tapes; 2 each for East Coast and West Coast feeds: a master and a backup. They were on 2" or 1" reel to reel videotape, but there ARE still machines in existence. And there is international distribution as well.

It is possible that since the majority of the show's run was syndicated (4 out of 6 seasons), Warner assumed that this was the correct length. That does not justify it, however.

Quote:
I cannot believe Warner did this after seeing the way people reacted to ALF, Roseanne and The Cosby Show

I can. There were no extras, little promotion, not even the inclusion of the 1982 "Eunice" special. It's obvious that instead of rolling out the red carpet, they're trying to sneak this in through the back door.

#32 of 186 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 11:40 AM

Welp, guess I'm passing on this release. As much as I don't mind things like altered music, I can't abide syndicated cut episodes of shows. No Sale.
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#33 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 20 2006 - 11:43 AM

Remember, it's not enough just not to buy it, but you must contact Warners and tell them why. If they're of the intelligence that would slap edited episodes onto DVD, they'll definitely blame the show for bad sales and not the way it was treated.

#34 of 186 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 04:04 PM

Syndie eps ? Well, I bet the neighbors are just lovin' this !
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#35 of 186 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,013 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 05:33 PM

I'm so sick of CLUELESS companies that just don't understand what TV on DVD is all about.

If we want cut episodes, we'll record them off television.

DVD is supposedly the last chance to see old series in their original, full-length, uncut glory.

This "Mama's Family" set is now worthless in my estimation.

So, like the others who have written here, I'm another "sure sale" going into the "no sale" category.

#36 of 186 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,352 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 08:23 PM

--AN OPEN LETTER TO WARNER HOME VIDEO---

Dear Warners:

Thank you, oh so very much, for producing the biggest piece of SHIT dvd for 2006!! Congratulations!!

If you idiots don't know by NOW that we do not WANT edited episodes on dvd, then you all deserve to lose your jobs.

You are beyond pathetic. If I wanted the edited versions, I could just tape them off TBS and be done with it. Actually, I did. So...no sale for you. I just want you to know WHY. And so now nobody's going to buy your damn disc, and you're going to think, "Oh...nobody likes ol' Mama's Family anymore. We never should have put it out on dvd. Wahhhh..." And you'd be wrong. Because you are stupid. We love Mama's Family; we just want it uncut. Is that SO much to ask??

Idiots.

Sincerely,

Ethan Riley

#37 of 186 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted September 21 2006 - 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
--AN OPEN LETTER TO WARNER HOME VIDEO---

Dear Warners:

Thank you, oh so very much, for producing the biggest piece of SHIT dvd for 2006!! Congratulations!!

If you idiots don't know by NOW that we do not WANT edited episodes on dvd, then you all deserve to lose your jobs.

You are beyond pathetic. If I wanted the edited versions, I could just tape them off TBS and be done with it. Actually, I did. So...no sale for you. I just want you to know WHY. And so now nobody's going to buy your damn disc, and you're going to think, "Oh...nobody likes ol' Mama's Family anymore. We never should have put it out on dvd. Wahhhh..." And you'd be wrong. Because you are stupid. We love Mama's Family; we just want it uncut. Is that SO much to ask??

Idiots.

Sincerely,

Ethan Riley

No offense, but I'm willing to bet that your letter will get tossed in the trash once whomever reads it gets to the word "shit". I'm just as upset about this release, but there is a right way and a wrong way to approach this situation. Warner (or any company for that matter) won't take letters like this seriously. I guarantee it.

All that aside, I'm VERY surprised that Warner has gone the way of Sony and Lions Gate by releasing this sub-par release. I was ecstatic about owning this, but I've already seen the syndicated episodes on TBS dozens of times over. I was really looking forward to seeing these uncut.

Regardless of the shoddy treatment this release recieved, I'm not going to boycot Warner. If I did, I'd be depriving myself of their many QUALITY releases. But as far as "Mama's Family" is concerned, I'll be keeping my money in my wallet.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#38 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 21 2006 - 01:56 AM

Maybe they won't take it seriously, but it's the letter they deserve. It's not, however, the letter I would send. As soon as the Sitcoms Online review is published, the only money I will spend in relation to this disc is 37 cents postage. I will be polite in words, but in thoughts, forget it. Here's what I typed last night:

Quote:
To Whom it May Concern:

I was excited when I learned of the release of Mama’s Family on DVD, but that excitement turned to pure horror when I learned from a review that the episodes were the syndicated cuts of the show, running some THREE MINUTES SHORTER than they originally aired. This is hardly “The Complete First Season.”
During the NBC era, this show, like all half-hour shows, ran approximately 24 to 25 minutes without commercials. In its early years, the show originally featured introductions by Harvey Korman as a pretentious character named “Alastair Quince”. In syndication the show is reduced to 21 minutes, and the Korman intros are gone, along with other footage. That you can put these on the DVD releases is, quite frankly, unforgivable. Why should I buy these when I can just record them off of I Network with a DVD recorder for much less. My purchase was depending on the uncut episodes, and you have lost a purchase.
Not only have you lost a purchase, but I will not buy any Warner TV show DVDs at all, ever again. I will not accept them as gifts or prizes in contests, and I will tell anyone who attempts to give them to me why. You have the power to change this by recalling the set, re-pressing them as uncut versions, and offering an exchange for anyone who buys the set, and not screwing up like this again. I was faithfully buying the releases of Dallas, Knots Landing, and The Waltons (even though I felt that picture quality left a lot to be desired), I purchased the TV favorites edition of Alice (and would have bought season sets of that show), and I was considering purchasing season 1 of Night Court, but I will think twice about any future purchases from Warner Bros. The money I put aside will go to support uncut TV shows on DVD from other studios.
What would your Mama say if she knew what you had done?

And I may continue to buy Warner TV DVDs if and only if I can find them used.

#39 of 186 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:23 AM

I'm just waiting for the inevitable excuses to start pouring out of Warner about this one:

"We don't have the uncut versions"
"These ARE the uncut versions"
"The uncut versions were in bad shape"
"This is the COMPLETE season...all the episodes are there"

This is just shoddy workmanship from a top tier studio. Would they consider releasing "Dog Day Afternoon" as a TV cut? How about the syndication cuts of "Friends" or "The West Wing"? Heck, we got longer versions of "Friends".

No excuse, guys, no excuse.

#40 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:56 AM

Did they even look for network versions? Did they bother to consult Joe Hamilton's surviving children? How about his ex-wife, Carol Burnett? Any other producers on the show? What about international distribution tapes (most cuts being made only to the US versions)? Failing that, you could go to the Library of Congress and get the 3/4" U-matic Copyright deposit tapes.

Bottom line: Warner took the first tapes on the shelf and on a non-obsolete tape format without checking the running times.

As a side note: videotape can be restored. Companies such as vidipax.com offer this service.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow