Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Mama's Family" ratings on i Network boad well for DVD releases!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
185 replies to this topic

#1 of 186 MarkDukes

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 02:48 AM

Check out this article about the debut of "Mama's Family" on the i Network (formerly PAX). The show has been receiving huge ratings, which I'm sure will help the release of future seasons past this month's Season 1.

http://news.yahoo.co.../en_tv_eo/19771

To find the i Network in your area, check here: http://www.ionline.tv/

#2 of 186 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 03:35 AM

The phrase "huge ratings" is open to interpretation. And it doesn't mean today what it meant in, for instance, 1964.

The article says "Mama's Family" averaged 830,000 viewers. I'm not sure how many homes that equals. Let's say 500,000.

With the U.S. population about to hit 300,000,000, 830,000 viewers is a whopping one-fourth of 1% of the population. That's hardly anything to get excited over.

Also, it's very unlikely that even these hardcore "Mama's Family" viewers are DVD buyers. In fact, the article makes this snide comment:

"Viewership for the sixth and final episode fell to 917,000. It aired at 10:30 p.m., and presumably fell victim to lights-out restrictions at assisted-living facilities."

Anyway, my point is "huge ratings" is a relative term. Relative to the other shows on i, the ratings are impressive. But in the whole scheme of things, it's barely a blip.

I love "Mama's Family," and hope the DVDs are successful; but this article is really no reason to feel encouraged.

#3 of 186 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 04:21 AM

personally, I hope "i" reruns Mama's Family to death. Why? the ONLY Warner sitcoms that seem to do well on DVD are the ones that are played to death in reruns. Friends, Fresh Prince, Full House, while Gilligan's Island isn't played much now, for 20-30 years it was.... Even Night Court, which at one time used to be shown to death in syndication in the early 90's (but not so much since), didn't quite make it on DVD. So I hope that incessant airing of Mama's Family does the trick and we can get more than the first season.

#4 of 186 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
The phrase "huge ratings" is open to interpretation. And it doesn't mean today what it meant in, for instance, 1964.

The article says "Mama's Family" averaged 830,000 viewers. I'm not sure how many homes that equals. Let's say 500,000.

With the U.S. population about to hit 300,000,000, 830,000 viewers is a whopping one-fourth of 1% of the population. That's hardly anything to get excited over.

Also, it's very unlikely that even these hardcore "Mama's Family" viewers are DVD buyers. In fact, the article makes this snide comment:

"Viewership for the sixth and final episode fell to 917,000. It aired at 10:30 p.m., and presumably fell victim to lights-out restrictions at assisted-living facilities."

Anyway, my point is "huge ratings" is a relative term. Relative to the other shows on i, the ratings are impressive. But in the whole scheme of things, it's barely a blip.

I love "Mama's Family," and hope the DVDs are successful; but this article is really no reason to feel encouraged.
Actually those ratings are pretty good by comparison. Adult Swim on Cartoon Network reguarly trumpants ratings numbers around 800,000 for most of their popular shows. Family guy on occassion even hits upwards of 1,000,000. So it's a pretty good showing for a show as old as Mama's Family. I'm impressed.
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#5 of 186 MarkDukes

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

For a show this old and obscure, any publicity is good publicity. If Yahoo does a report on Mama's Family, that certainly couldn't hurt matters.

#6 of 186 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 01:27 PM

I wouldn't call Mama's Family that obscure, the show was on TBS up until a few months ago. It's had a pretty healthy shelf life for a 1980's sitcom that wasn't Cosby or Cheers

#7 of 186 MarkDukes

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
I wouldn't call Mama's Family that obscure, the show was on TBS up until a few months ago. It's had a pretty healthy shelf life for a 1980's sitcom that wasn't Cosby or Cheers

On second thought, you are correct. It's just that when people talk about old shows, they easily mention Cosby/Cheers, etc....but how often do you hear Mama come up?! LOL

#8 of 186 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 08:42 PM

All I can say is "whatever it takes" to get more than one season of a good show. I am sick of these damned one season only cop outs!
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#9 of 186 MarkDukes

MarkDukes

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 04:08 AM

Anyone think we could see Season 2 in time for the Christmas rush?

#10 of 186 Amar

Amar

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 11:24 AM

I watch it every weekday, so I hope that's good.

#11 of 186 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,618 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 04 2006 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDukes
Anyone think we could see Season 2 in time for the Christmas rush?

I think that would be a bit of a rush. If S1 does well, then maybe a February/March release. But pushing out another season three months after the first? Plus we don't want it to be lost in the glut of Christmas releases...all high profile.

#12 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,037 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 04 2006 - 07:28 AM

Still waiting for the review of running times.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#13 of 186 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 03:56 PM

Has anybody seen any reviews for this,or is it too early?

#14 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,037 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 14 2006 - 01:36 AM

Let me just say this once: if they screw this up in any way, I'll be saying things that'll make Mama sound like Mother Teresa.

#15 of 186 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,618 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 14 2006 - 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight
Has anybody seen any reviews for this,or is it too early?

I just did a search on DVD Basen for any reviews and came up empty. If anything, I'd give it a while more before reviews start popping up. This isn't a major release and it's a relatively obscure TV show. Not going to help it's cause at all.

#16 of 186 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:29 AM

I should get a copy to review in the near future, I am looking forward. While it's not one of my favorite series, Mama's Family has always been good entertainment and I would definately love to own both the NBC and syndication episodes.

#17 of 186 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:13 PM

When TBS aired Mama's Family,they would show the first season epsiodes (not sure about other season episodes)out of order.Let's hope they are shown in their proper order,and are uncut.

#18 of 186 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight
When TBS aired Mama's Family,they would show the first season epsiodes (not sure about other season episodes)out of order.Let's hope they are shown in their proper order,and are uncut.
The tapes provided to the i network are syndicated cuts, sorry. Hopefully that doesn't bode badly for what Warner will use on their DVDs...
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#19 of 186 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,037 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 15 2006 - 01:58 AM

The reasons for my concern are:

1. The running time listed on the box, divided by 13, equals about 21 minutes.
2. There is a credit for "Telepictures Distribution" on the box.
3. This was an independent production, not produced by Warner Bros. or a company they acquired.

#20 of 186 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 04:11 AM

As for the shows being out of order --- at least with DVDs, you can watch them in the correct order, even if they're not laid out on the DVDs that way.

I have a strong feeling these will be cut, syndicated versions --- which registers a strong NO SALE with me.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow