Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Heartstopping Shots on HD DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 01 2006 - 04:44 PM

I'm anxiously waiting for my HD A1 to arrive; so, what else, I make regular visits to the local BB to get a mild anxiety-reducing taste of HD DVD. Tonight while watching the "King Kong" footage on the demo disc, there were several shots that literally made me gasp for air. The contrast, the details, the presence of the shot were so extraordinary that I involuntarily took a breath of exhilaration (and, I admit, muttered, "Holy Crap!") I'm placing this comment in THIS HD DVD forum because.... I haven't seen ANYTHING on the Blu-ray demo disk that made me gasp. Some of the shots look OK. A few of the POTC shots look comparable to HD DVD's demo. BUT NOTHING I've seen on Blu-ray has the eye-searing impact of some of the shots in the HD DVD disk. I thought we could gloat among HD DVD friends here without starting a format war. But, based on just these small and nonrepresentative demos (which is what most people will be seeing of both formats), I don't understand how anyone with their eyeballs in order could find anything on the poorly encoded Blu-ray demo disc superior to the remarkable HD DVD demos. So, what are the shots that made you gasp as were watching an HD DVD disk?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   RobertDW

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted September 01 2006 - 04:55 PM

I gasp every time when I see the sticker price of HD DVD titles in BB. Posted Image

BTW I believe the HD DVD demo disc is encoded using mpeg2 at a high bitrate (discs was made before the VC1 authoring tools were available). The King Kong clip is in fact fantastic and I hope the VC1 transfer looks the same.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,758 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 12:40 AM

Why would you buy titles at Best Buy prices?

If you purchase discs through amazon.com you'll save a
lot of money -- especially if they are still running the promotion
whereas you buy 3 HD titles immediately and save 10% on all
future purchases over the next year.

My HD-DVD discs never cost more than $20 shipped through
Amazon. I also paid for the yearly PRIME service so I get 2
days free shipping.

I'd also check out Lasers Edge to see what their prices are like.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 02 2006 - 01:29 AM

Ditto to everything said here. Bob, I think that was the same demo disc I saw back in March. I went in to this Toshiba-hosted demo very skeptical, and went out wanting the player. The Kong footage, especially the slow panning shot of Skull Island, was just outstanding. King Kong will be the killer app when it is (hopefully) released later this year. I just wish Amazon were better with their shipments. Good Night and Good Luck only shipped yesterday. I won't have it until next week, a full two weeks after street date. I've got a backlog of discs to watch so that does not bother me too much, but I wish they could deliver sooner. - Steve

#5 of 11 ONLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,392 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 02:26 AM

IMO Amazon's HD-DVD support has been pretty poor so far. They list release dates far in the future for titles that have been out for weeks, they sometimes don't even HAVE listings for titles that are already out, and their stock situation on quite a few titles is lackluster (i.e., ships in 7-10 days). Their prices are great and the 10% off deal is fantastic, but these advantages aren't worth a hill of beans if they can't ship product in a timely manner. Unfortunately for the consumer, Amazon appears to have the best prices arouund on HD-DVD at the present time. Hopefully they'll get their issues resolved sooner rather than later and some of the other online retailers will get more competetive with their pricing as well.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 05:56 AM

In the Kong demo content, there is a shot of one of the Skull Island residents, a tight closeup that simply CATAPULTS off the screen it is SO detailed and SO vivid. Frankly, I'm pretty confident that I saw more detail in those Kong clips on HD DVD than I saw in the theatrical presentation. (And I saw Kong in a "private" company screening at Universal Studios on an ENORMOUS screen they set up in the Universal Amphitheater. It was spectacular.) It's a sobering and exhilarating thought that we are on the verge of having in-home film viewing that surpasses the visual quality of theatrical presentation (much as my in-home audio presentation has surpassed theatrical for several years).

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 09:41 AM

Here are a few of my favorite HD shots so far which i thought "Wow that looks fantastic". Trust me there are a lot more then this 1-Apollo 13 launch 2-Last Half Hour of Serenity (most of the film actually) 3-Pitch Black- When the Moon Rises putting a blue tint on everything, as well as 10 minutes or so in when the ship is headed towards the nebula 4- Chronicles of Riddick-Prison planet when the fire is engulfing everything 5-Constantine - The hell sequences

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 11:36 AM

I know you cant tell much in screenshots, but is their any sites that have some?

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 02:12 PM

Every frame of Corpse Bride, on the HD DVD demo disc!!! :-0
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,712 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 03:53 PM

Can't complain about the prices on Amazon for sure for the HD-A1 and the HD-DVD software but they list We Were Soldiers and The Italian Job as not yet released....what gives? Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   compson

compson

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 02:33 PM

The Searchers: close up of John Wayne just after chapter stop 43. Absolutely stunning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users