-

Photo

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Six - 12/19/2006

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

#101 of 118 Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted March 27 2007 - 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan-S
Could you post the e-mail address from which Disney responded, please?
I'm also in the UK. Thanks.

I think I just followed the "contact us" bit - if I remember correctly there is an option for faulty DVDs - and explained that I was based in the UK and had the set. Nevertheless I will check it later, as I can't check my email account at work.

#102 of 118 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 01:05 PM

hmmm.... Well, I just got my 'More Silly Symphonies' replacement discs in the mail today, but the lack of other posts in the forum leads me to believe that these discs may in fact not be any different than the ones I already have. What also makes me tend to believe this consequently is that I called the customer support line but a mere couple of days ago to inquire as to the status of the replacement discs.

anybody care to refresh my memory as to what I should look for on the new/old discs (i.e. what the problem was with the old discs in the first place) so I can tell whether these new discs are updated or not? thanks.

#103 of 118 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 01:17 PM

There are a couple posts in the replacement thread here.
According to UltimateDisney.com here's what's supposed to be fixed:
Quote:
Walt Disney Home Video is preparing replacement discs for the set, which will correct three shortcomings free of charge. Due to an oversight, the volume lacked the main titles that were recreated to replace the originals discarded over fifty years ago. In addition, the wrong master elements were used on some color shorts and seconds of footage long cut from 1933's The Night Before Christmas have been located.
I still haven't had a chance to actually compare the two discs though.

#104 of 118 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 01:19 PM

I had no idea disks were being sent out. I thought the issue had something to do with title cards. I believe it's earlier in the thread.

#105 of 118 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 03:10 PM

Well whadayaknow?! I guess the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease sometimes. The discs are in fact the fixed ones as I can confirm that "The Night Before Christmas" not only includes the infamous few seconds of Amos 'n Andy toys on parade, but now this particular cartoon has been moved from the normal menu to the "vault" area due to its restored and decidely un-p.c. content.

I haven't really checked anything else on the discs but for what it is worth the updated ones are for sure out. I don't know if everyone should just be patient and expect them to arrive shortly (assuming you called previously) or perhaps it is worth your while to give the support line another call. I'll leave that decision to your own judgement. But it is about time! At least Disney came thru in the end.

#106 of 118 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 03:26 PM

I haven't called...can I still get mine?

#107 of 118 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR
I haven't called...can I still get mine?

I see no reason why you couldn't. At least you won't have to wait 5 months after calling to get your discs (hopefully!)

#108 of 118 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 10:23 PM

This is great news... but I'm curious how come Disney decided to go all out for this and completely ignore the quality of wave five's 'Disney Rarities' package?

Afterall, the restoration work was completed and in many cases, the technicians just sourced the wrong masters... including non-progressive transfers.

THAT'S the one WDT that I'd REALLY like to have corrected as it suffers from the worst quality control issues by far of the series...

#109 of 118 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 05:28 AM

I'd also like to see Donald Vol.1 redone...there are awfully loud digital pops in over half of the shorts on that set....obviously a transfer error.

#110 of 118 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 07:47 AM

I got mine in the mail today.

I had completely forgotten about the issue though. I called when it was mentioned here, and quickly forgot it.

#111 of 118 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,591 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone know if the fixed editions are in any stores? Or is the only way to get them is via exchange?

Thanks,

Neil

#112 of 118 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilO
Does anyone know if the fixed editions are in any stores? Or is the only way to get them is via exchange?

Because this title (as are all of the Disney Treasures titles) is a limited edition I doubt there are many (if any) copies lying around yet on store shelves waiting to be recalled. But as the exchange is free and (rather) painless I see no reason why one couldn't purchase the discs in a store if he/she did manage to find a copy and then just call Disney CS for the replacement discs. Of course, you could always watch the discs first to see if they were already replaced at the factory, but I would seriously doubt that is going to have happened.

#113 of 118 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 05:36 AM

Found this over at Ultimate Disney. Very nice explanation of the original and replacement MSS discs.

More Silly Symphonies Comparison

#114 of 118 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,591 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr
Because this title (as are all of the Disney Treasures titles) is a limited edition I doubt there are many (if any) copies lying around yet on store shelves waiting to be recalled.
I'm pretty sure I've seen these on the shelf at my local Best Buy for quite some time (and the last time I was there). I didn't want to get it due to the mistake. I thought that due to the mistake they might just reissue a batch of them. On the other hand Amazon hasn't offered new copies of them for quite some time and I guess they won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr
But as the exchange is free and (rather) painless I see no reason why one couldn't purchase the discs in a store if he/she did manage to find a copy and then just call Disney CS for the replacement discs. Of course, you could always watch the discs first to see if they were already replaced at the factory, but I would seriously doubt that is going to have happened.
I guess I need to drop by my local Best Buy.

Neil

#115 of 118 LorenzoL

LorenzoL

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 01:07 AM

I'm happy to report that I also received my replacement discs from Disney yesterday. I had totally forgotten that I called them early this year.

I checked the disc numbers as per the Ultimatedisney.com link and I can confirm that mine are the new ones.

Thanks Disney!

#116 of 118 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,791 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 27 2007 - 07:29 AM

I called on Monday afternoon and got my replacement discs today!

#117 of 118 Doug Abbott

Doug Abbott

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 08:31 AM

I've been a fan of the Disney live action tv shows for years and like a lot of other fans who grew up with these shows would love to see some of these classic shows released on DVD. Shows like the 3 part "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" (Disney has listed the cut down movie version "Dr Syn" for release 3 times and never followed through), "The Legend of Dick Turpin", and the excellent western series "Texas John Slaughter", etc. We would even pay for full seasons of them since most of the 50s Disney series like "Texas John Slaughter" ran only 17 episodes and "Elfego Baca" only ran 8 episodes. It was really stupid the way the box sets were released a couple of years ago with episode 1, 2 and then 4, why didn't they just release all 8 episodes of Elfego Baca in the tin, instead of a a few from that series and a few from Swamp Fox.

#118 of 118 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,591 posts

Posted July 28 2007 - 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilO
I'm pretty sure I've seen these on the shelf at my local Best Buy for quite some time (and the last time I was there). I didn't want to get it due to the mistake. I thought that due to the mistake they might just reissue a batch of them. On the other hand Amazon hasn't offered new copies of them for quite some time and I guess they won't. I guess I need to drop by my local Best Buy.
Best Buy did have More Silly Symphonies online for $29.99 when I checked earlier this week. In my local store (in Bowie, MD) they had three copies today for $24.99. Now they have two left. They have quite a few others in the Teasures series there for $24.99.

Neil

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow