What's new

Replacement for Looney Tunes Vol 2 Disc 4 DVD (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
In Warner Animation chat awhile back, this announcement was made. Since then I've heard nothing. Has anyone heard anything or have information regarding this? Thanks to anyone who can help.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well someone finally got a number to call.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...2&postcount=23

mdnitoil vbmenu_register("postmenu_3221272", true);
Scott

If I recall, the problem with Looney Tunes was that disk 4 had a number of interlaced cartoons on it. Based on your setup, it's possible you may never have noticed but anybody running progressive scan should have seen the problem. It had been reported well over 2 years ago, but Warners just started shipping the replacement in the last couple of months.

On the Disney return, both Silly Symphony disks are "bad". Basically return both disks but keep all your packaging. New disks will come in sleeves.

EDIT" found the info regarding contacting Warners:

"For those who didn't know, Warner Bros. has quietly issued a replacement disk for Looney Tunes gold collection set 2, disk 4. The original problem with this disk was that a number of the shorts were interlaced.

If you're interested in a replacement, please contact Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937 so that a self-addressed stamped envelope can be sent to you for return of your current disc. Please note that the replacement disc will be sent to you in approximately 2-4 weeks."

guess i'll dig mine out

btw the origional, looney tunes vol 2 thread seems to have been lost.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
You really have to be on the ball to get discs replaced. I had practically forgotten about this problem. Thanks for the reminder and the contact info!

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
I live in England so does anyone have an email address please for the WHV Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol2 D4 replacement?

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Can somebody please enlighten as to what the problem was with this "Looney Tunes" set? This is the first time I hear about it. Thanks in advance.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
On Disc 4 of the 2nd golden collection, five shorts were encoded as interlaced instead of progressive incorrectly. The shorts are Have You Got Any Castles, Hollywood Steps Out, A Corny Concerto, Book Revue, and I Love to Singa. On the same disc, Have You Got Any Castles had excessive DVNR applied. I'm hoping WB fixed both issues on Castles, but it's mainly the interlacing that's the problem.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
Just called Warner (didn't think Toll Free No would work from England. It does but it's not Toll Free) Very nice lady answered phone and after checking with someone she is sending me a replacement disc to England. Result!
I said I had bought it while on holiday in the US as opposed to over the internet not sure how much difference that made........

Warner yet again live up to their well earned and excellent reputation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow! Never heard about that problem. I've watched that disc many times, but only on my old DV-05 deck in the bedroom.

Thanks for sharing!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I called the number Monday regarding the replacement disc, and they said they'd send a replacement right out. They mentioned nothing about a pre-paid envelope, or having to return the faulty disc. Mind you, I still plan to once I receive the replacement since it's just the right thing to do.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I tried a few weeks ago and no one ever answered the phone; I tried again last Friday and got through; they said they'd send a replacement and that when I got it I should send back in the old disc. So we'll see. Nothing yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just spent 25 minutes on hold.

Finally got an operator. Replacement discs being sent.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

So they actually send out discs first and you return yours back? That's great! I hate doing it the other way around, because what if they're lost?

EDIT: Just called and it took all of 2 whole minutes. Since I called for the Superman replacements and Tom & Jerry, they already had all my information on file and said they'll send out the discs and mailers to return my discs in. Sweet!

Thanks, WB! You're a class company.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I called the number a couple of weeks back. They are sending me the replacement along with an envelope to send the defective one back. This is a little different than the Superman deal where we had to send the defective one back before they sent the corrected disc.

I am still waiting for the replacement to arrive.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I called on August 2nd and haven't received anything. I thought they told me they were sending just a prepaid return envelope but who knows at this point. Has anyone actually received a replacement disc yet?

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have just called from the UK and after about a 10 minute wait, spoke to a very nice lady who is going to send me replacement discs for Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. She asked that I return the faulty ones on receipt of the replacements.
Perhaps if anyone waiting for replacement DVDs in the UK could post when they receive the discs (I will do the same), we will then all know when to expect delivery.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis

Maybe I'm not sophisticated, but I just viewed those cartoons and they look OK on my system. What is "interlaced instead of progressive"? If I got one, how can I tell.

Thanks and as the cartoon sez, "You're An Education".

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If it doesn't register immediately on your display, try switching from "film" to "video" mode on your DVD player or do a frame-by-frame play in slow motion. You will notice an ugly combing effect on any display that uses progressive scan method.

The cartoons affected are: "Book Revue", "Corny Concerto", "I Love to Singa", "Have you Got Any Castles" and "Hollywood Steps Out".

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I was also going to list the problem cartoons but they are listed in post 19. I have a good quality Loewe tube-TV (which cannot have progressive scan). When I received the LTGC No. 2, I had my then DVD player ("Scott") outputting PAL (my tv has NTSC/PAL AV input. I noticed that some of the cartoons on disk 4 ( especially "Book Revue" looked very poor. I then switched the player to output NTSC and the picture was much better. At the time, I thought my player had a poor NTSC-to_PAL conversion. Months later did I find out about the Interlace problems.

A few months ago when the replacement of the replacement T&J came out, I used my main player "XORO" to test both the T&J and LTGC disk 2. I tried both PAL and NTSC and both showed much better results than with the Scott player. I than decided to test these 2 disks with my XORO player of a flat screen (but without progressive scan) I also included a PAL Laurel and Hardy from Warners where in the extras (not the main film) were converted to PAL not from the film but from the NTSC (causing a few frames to be "shaky"). This is also true with Disney's PAL 3 Little pigs I was tired with people stating you don't get the problems with a tube TV. I suspect that one should state that one gets problems with flat screens USING Progressive Scan. I then tried these 3 disks on a flat screen using a "Scart" plug and the pictures were acceptable for the program disks. I also suspect that the DVD player is a factor, some, like mine, have a very good error checking since for the T&J there were many different results. I would suggest trying disks that give a bad picture to try WITHOUT progressive scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks