What's new

Music Replacement In Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place (1 Viewer)

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Unless somebody has around $10,000 to $60,000 lying around to pay for a song, they can keep quite :P

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
^ I agree. Paramount has come right out & told the public about these substitutions months in advance. That is the honorable thing to do. I mean, the same thing was done with the Roswell sets & they turned out fine. If it means getting the set out faster & the SRP being cheaper than I can live with some replaced music. I am sure some people here will say the opposite though.

I completely concur. Paramount even had the decency to work with the original music supervisors from the shows to find the best possible way to work around the situation. As long as the episodes have not been edited lengthwise, I'm perfectly ok with this.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm not the least bit surprised about this news. In fact I expected it. Watching 90210 everyday on TVtropolis, I often thought about the amount of music in this show as well as what the chances might be of that original music making it on to the DVDs. I have no doubt it would be a music rights nightmare. At least the replaced music will be headed by the music supervisors from the show. I am totally cool with this idea. Even with the news, I want this show just as much as I did before.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I hope they let us know before release date what will be replaced .If its less than 10 songs i can live with it , if its way more than that i wont get it.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I could care less about these shows, but I'm disappointed to see the acceptance of music replacement being shown here. Letting you know ahead of time that you're getting an inferior product is certainly better than not telling you, but it's not like it's the "honorable" thing to do, by any stretch of the imagination. The honorable thing to do would be to do it right, or not at all.

Josh_HI

Second Unit

ummm I love 90210 and I gotta say even if every single song was changed I'd still buy it.... I'd rather have it changed than nothing at all anyday....Been waiting for this for years.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt a fan of the show would agree, they want the episodes - not the music. If they were syndicated cuts, we'd have another problem.

But these songs cost a lot of damn money, and sometimes you will just not be able to get a song, so everybody should loose out?

I've seen reports of songs costing up to $150,000 - do you want to give the studio that, per 4 songs an episode?

They even got some of Spellings people to re choose, it. Music replacement is a neccessary evil in getting classic shows on DVD and Paramount are doing the right thing, by letting us know - you can now not buy it, and by getting original people. We are not going to have Les Moonves, at CBS who knows nothing about music, choosing the songs, it is somebody who worked with Spelling!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Music replacement is only an necessary evil as long as it works. If a studio can go cheap, and still get all you guys to buy it anyway (for the same damn price, they're not passing any savings on to you, they're pocketing extra profit), it'll be something that studios will bemoan publicly as a necessary evil, and privately gloat about. Only if people stopped buying such crappy products would things change.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
They're not going cheap, I admit more transparency would be nice, but they are getting some songs. They're even getting the original people to do it.

I guess the studios only evil is that they release the shows people want at the prices they want. I am sure for $200 a season, we could get most of the songs but most normal people wouldn't pay that for an 15 seconds of something else.

Music licensing is haunting some shows getting out, The Wonder Years and Ally McBeal for example - don't you think if studios could acceptably replace every song, those shows would be out? Studios don't do that. I imagine a lot of people would buy those shows regardless, the studios do have integrity.

How much does it cost to edit the shows? Replacing a song can't exactly be a cheap and easy feat of technology.

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

I am not arguing that point. They can do whatever the market will bear... & that evidently includes music substitutions. I am sure Paramount did the math & found that it would be more profitable to go the music replacement route than to sell a couple extra copies to fans who refuse to buy an edited product. They are not idiots, a lot of research goes into every product they release. So I understand why some people won't buy the set for these reasons, but in my mind it is still worth it. So I will purchase these "crappy" products.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

I'm not a fan of these shows either, but I think the most honorable thing to do is to give the fans the shows they've been clamoring for for years as complete as possible while still reasonably priced.

I know you're very set in your ways regarding this, but constantly putting off the sets in the hopes that they'd be able to license a song that nobody will notice is missing is ridiculous. I'm sure they made an attempt to license every song but came up short. No reason to kill off the releases.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Normally I care about this stuff but Melrose Place (the only one of these 2 shows I'll be getting) had such wonderfully horrendous muzak for the most part anyway, which only added to it's campy charm! I don't remember the music of the time much (and it was mostly bloody dreadful anyway) so you know what, in this one instance, I really don't care!

Good on Paramount for being upfront about it though.

Matt_Troop

Agent
although it would be sweet to have all original music its sweet there will be some... My concern is what is gonna happen when It comes to the years where they had the "After Dark" and they had live performances, If those bands wont license out the music its gonna be hard to edit...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I agree, and it wasn't just the later seasons. There was an episode in one of the earlier seasons where the group Color Me Badd performed in the Peach Pit. Also Kelly, Donna, Brenda and another blonde girl (can't remember the character's name) performed "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" at a school function. I'm sure there are more instances but these are the two I could pull from recent memory. But Matt's right. A lot of the episodes in the later seasons had live performances so it'll be interesting to see what was licensed and what wasn't, as well as Paramount's approach to these issues.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Here's an interesting list which helps to point out how intricately the music was woven into the show:

http://hometown.aol.com/rexfelis/faq/faqpoem.htm

I can see quite a few hurdles there... It'll be interesting to see how many of them end up getting cleared, and how the substitutions will be handled.

One example that stands out in my mind... Remember the episode dealing with the Rolling Stones concert, with RS music heard throughout a good bit of the episode? Fortunately, I don't think the Stones are known to be problematic in licensing situations.

Real Name
Thomas Stewart
Having gone through many music replacement sets in the past, as a viewer it doesn't really affect me that much (if it is done right). 'Roswell' and 'Felicity' both had to forgo about 70% of their music in order for the sets to come out (Buena Vista actually said once that the 'Felicity' sets would have been over $100 MSRP a season if they had kept the old music, just to break even (so if they had gone that route seasons 3 and 4 probably would never have been released)... and yet both of these sets did three thigns right: 1) they brought music supervisers that worked on the show, 2) they kept the theme song, no matter the cost, and 3) if the music was an integral part of the episode (like the band performed or a character sung or something like that) they kept it the way it was... this is it done right...

'Dawson's Creek' is a whole new story. Season 1 was awesome because it had all the music (minus 1 song), but it didn't sell enough and Columbia had to cut some corners, so with season 2 about 50% of the music was changed, and it angered some, but to me (a person who grew up watching the show) it didn't really effect. But then season 3 came out and they changed the theme song! that was almost a no sale for me right there because the new song is almost like listening to nails-on-a-chalkboard for 45 seconds (and the Paula cole song was such a major part of the show), and then they changed about 90% of the music, including the songs on the soundtrack... and even in latter years when characters would sing they looped the music with different (cheaper songs)...

As long as '90210' and 'Melrose Place' goes the roswell/felicity route and not the 'Dawson's Creek' Route, personally Im okay with it. Sure I would like the original music, but if it means the different between paying $40 a season or $70 (especially when both come out on the same day), I'll go the $40 route. And something else to think about is that people will pay $40 a season, but if the studio tried to use the original music one of two things would happen a) they would loose money because they only charged $40, or b) nobody but diehards would buy the sets at $70 - and both ways would result in future seasons not being released...

Also I've noticed that in the 'Charmed' sets (also released by Paramount) that atleast all the 'live songs' have been kept into the program as well as the 'high drama moment' songs... so atleast that gives some hope...

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't see why a theme song is more important that anything else. Sure, its unfortunate but most people skip them anyway. I'd still rather the whole episode, uncut.

And frankly, for some series (read:The Gilmore Girls), I wish they had to replace the themesong! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks