What's new

Total Recall (Blu-ray) Surprisingly good! (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
It's been 3 days since this disc was released with no review on the HTF.

Bought my copy locally at Circuit City on 8/29. My usual source for first day releases, Best Buy, seems lately to have dropped the ball in stocking it.

Played the movie using the Samsung @ HDMI 1080i out to a Ruby projector and deinterlacing it to 1080p, projecting it onto a 110" FireHawk screen. The latest tweak I now use (posted by Alan Gouger at AVS) with the Ruby, is taking advantage of the DRC-MFv2 Reality/Clarity chip (the MF meaning multi-function) that is available in the Ruby projector. This seems to really bring out the resolution in Blu-ray MPEG 2 discs.

The movie looks great! The only portion that showed video noise, was the beginning "Tri-Star Pictures" logo, that is shown before the picture begins.
In checking the DVD "Total Recall: Special Edition", the same noisy "Tri-Star pictures" heading is there too.:rolleyes

Anyway, all I can say is that I'm glad I got the movie. The high definition really draws you into the action.:)

Paul

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Can you go into more details concerning the colors? I hate the tricks I have to use in order to make the Standard Def disc look just okay.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
David ©,

The colors on the Blu-ray disc look great. No over saturation was noticed. Colors were also vibrant where they should be, as in the streets of neon lights in the brothels of Mars. And I had the 'color space' of the Ruby set to "wide", which reproduces more natural color tones in a wider range of color reproduction compared to it being set to the "Normal" setting.

Also, no compression artifacts or over saturation was noticed when viewing the red atmosphere on Mars.

Paul

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally, I'll have my BRD today and it will be the first disc I watch this weekend.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Great! Let's hear your findings, Robert.

This was one of the (currently few) BD titles I was contemplating buying.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks