What's new

Humphrey Bogart: Signature Collection Vol. 2 See Post #8 Lack of Reviews (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A Warner Bros. Icon - for His Time and for All Time

HUMPHREY BOGART: THE SIGNATURE COLLECTION VOL. 2 DEBUTS OCTOBER 3
DVD Debuts of The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Special Edition and
Bogie Classics Across The Pacific, Action In the North Atlantic,
All Through The Night and Passage To Marseille

Burbank, Calif., June 12, 2006 – On October 3, Warner Home Video honors one of the most popular movie actors of all time with the DVD release of Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection Volume 2. Highlighting this collection is a deluxe new 3-Disc Special Edition of The Maltese Falcon, featuring a newly-remastered edition of the 1941 John Huston masterpiece starring Bogart as Dashiell Hammett’s definitive Sam Spade. This new deluxe set is loaded with hours of bonuses including the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon and the 1936 film, Satan Met a Lady, commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax, a recently recovered additional scene as well as vintage Warner “Night at the Movies” features.

Also contained in the collection are four more Bogart classics making their DVD debuts -- Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, All Through the Night and Passage to Marseille. Each film has been restored from the original camera negatives and has been digitally remastered, with each title enhanced with entertaining features. The new five film, seven-disc gift set will sell for $59.92 SRP; all titles are exclusive to the collection, except The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Special Edition, which will also sell separately for $29.92 SRP.

Named AFI’s #1 male movie star of all time, Humphrey Bogart has been a cult figure throughout the world since the 1940s. Mostly, he played characters who were smart, playful, courageous, tough, and reckless -- who lived in a corrupt world yet were anchored by an inner moral code. He also excelled portraying men with flaws and weaknesses that ultimately led to their downfall. One of the most prolific actors in motion picture history, he appeared in 85 films which have demonstrated their enduring popularity by selling to date more than five million copies on video and DVD. Bogart won a Best Actor Academy Award® for his performance in The African Queen and earned an Oscar® nomination for Casablanca and The Caine Mutiny.

The Maltese Falcon Three-Disc Special Edition (1941)
This nominee for three Academy Awards – Best Picture, Supporting Actor (Greenstreet) and Screenplay (Huston) – solidified Bogart’s stardom and launched John Huston’s illustrious directorial career. An all-star cast (including Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook Jr.) joins Bogart in this classic film noir story about hard-boiled detective Sam Spade (Bogart) and the gallery of lowlifes he’s after to find his partner’s killer as well as the jewel-encrusted life size statue of a falcon. Filled with twists and turns, the crackling mystery masterwork was based on Dashiell Hammett’s novel. The Maltese Falcon was added to the National Film Registry in 1989 and is #23 on the American Film Institute’s (AFI) List of 100 Greatest Movies.

This all-new 3-Disc Special Edition is full of extras, including two features which preceded Bogie’s landmark Falcon -- the 1931 pre-code version of The Maltese Falcon and the 1936 film, Satan Met a Lady, starring Bette Davis.

Disc One Special Features:
•New digital transfer of 1941 movie from restored elements
•Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax
•Warner Night at the Movies 1941 short subjects gallery:
oVintage Newsreel, Oscar®-Nominated Technicolor musical short The Gay Parisian
oClassic Cartoon: Oscar® nominee Hiawatha’s Rabbit Hunt
oTrailers of The Maltese Falcon and 1941’s Sergeant York
•Languages: English & Français (1941 movie only)
•Subtitles: English, Français & Español (1941 movie only)
Disc Two Special Features:
•2 Previous movie versions of the classic Hammett caper:
oThe Maltese Falcon (1931) with Bebe Daniels and Ricardo Cortez
oSatan Met a Lady (1936) with Bette Davis and Warren William
•Theatrical trailers
Disc Three Special Features:
•New Documentary The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Bird
•Robert Osborne Hosts Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart
•Breakdowns of 1941: Studio Blooper Reel
•Audio-only bonus: 3 radio show adaptations featuring the movie’s original stars including a version starring Edward G. Robinson

Across the Pacific (1942)
The winning team from The Maltese Falcon is reunited for Across the Pacific. This crisply written wartime thriller reunites three Falcon leads -- Bogart, Mary Astor and Sydney Greenstreet. The Maltese Falcon’s John Huston directs this reunion, and once again, the combination of stars and director comes up a winner. Like The Maltese Falcon, the film has “the same irresistible mixture of darkness, double-cross and quirky humor,” according to Tom Milne, Time Out Film Guide. Here Bogart plays counterspy Rick Leland who trades romantic barbs with Alberta (Mary Astor), matches wits with sly Lorenz (Sydney Greenstreet) and swaps bullets with saboteurs of the Panama Canal.
DVD Special Features:
•Warner Night at the Movies 1942 Short Subjects Gallery:
oVintage newsreel
oPatriotic Technicolor short Men of the Sky
oClassic cartoon The Draft Horse
oTrailers of Across the Pacific and 1942’s Captains of the Clouds
•New featurette Hollywood Helps the Cause
•Breakdowns of 1942: Studio Blooper Reel
•Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Action in the North Atlantic (1943)
This World War II salute to the Merchant Marines is an action-filled voyage of a besieged freighter and shows how the role of these men supplying the war effort was the lifeblood of democracy’s arsenal. Humphrey Bogart, a World War I seaman and an avid recreational sailor, stars as First Officer Joe Rossi who, along with his captain (Raymond Massey), matches tactics with U-boats and the Luftwaffe. The tactics were so on target that this became a Merchant Marine training film.

DVD Special Features
•Warner Night at the Movies 1943 short subjects gallery:
oVintage newsreel
oMusical short Cavalcade of Dance
oClassic cartoon Greetings Bait
oTrailers of Action in the North Atlantic and 1943’s Northern Pursuit
•New featurette Credit Where Credit Is Due:
•Audio-only bonus: radio show with George Raft and Raymond Massey

All Through the Night (1942)
In this comedy thriller, Bogart had fun in the change-of-pace role of Gloves Donahue, a NY gambler and petty crook. Gloves is definitely more interested in his racing sheet and favorite cheesecake than he is in current events, until the baker gets bumped off, and that changes everything. The fun is winningly contagious in a spoof that pits him against Nazi spies. The wonderful supporting cast of shady, but good guys includes William Demarest, Jackie Gleason and Phil Silvers, all of whom seem to have stepped from Damon Runyon’s Guys and Dolls world.
DVD Special Features:
•Commentary by director Vincent Sherman and Bogart biographer Eric Lax
•Warner Night at the Movies 1942 short subjects gallery:
oVintage newsreel
oJoe Doakes comedy short So You Want to Give Up Smoking
oClassic cartoon Lights Fantastic
oTrailers of All Through the Night and 1942’s Gentleman Jim
•New featurette Call the Usual Suspects: The Craft of the Character Actor

Passage to Marseille (1944)
Humphrey Bogart reunites with director Michael Curtiz and other key Casablanca personnel (including co-stars Claude Rains, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet). Bogart plays Jean Matrac, a World War II French patriot who escapes Devil’s Island, survives a dangerous freighter voyage and becomes a gunner in the Free French Air Corps.

The film sailed into theaters on stormy seas. Controversy surrounded the scene in which Matrac machine-guns the helpless survivors of a downed plane that attacked the freighter. That a soldier of freedom would act ignobly brought protests from religious and censorship groups.
Special Features:
•Warner Night at the Movies 1944 short subjects gallery:
oVintage newsreel
oOscar®-winning patriotic short I Won’t Play and Oscar® nominee Jammin’ the Blues
oClassic cartoon The Weakly Reporter
oTrailers of Passage to Marseille and 1944’s Uncertain Glory
•New featurette The Free French: Forgotten Unsung Victors
•Breakdowns of 1944: Studio Blooper Reel

Additional biographical information on Bogart:
Humphrey DeForest Bogart was born on December 25, 1899, the son of a Manhattan surgeon and a magazine illustrator. He had a privileged upbringing but was expelled from an elite East coast private school, after which he joined the U.S. Naval Reserve. In the early ‘20s, he managed a stage company owned by a family friend and began performing regularly. In 1930 he got a contract with Fox and made his feature film debut in a short called Broadway’s Like That, co-starring Ruth Etting and Joan Blondell.
After five more years of stage and minor film roles, Bogart finally got his big break when he reprised his Broadway role as Duke Mantee in The Petrified Forest. He signed a contract with Warner Bros. and was on his way to mega-stardom with roles in such classics as High Sierra, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, Key Largo, The African Queen and, of course, The Maltese Falcon and the other films in this collection.
Bogie also had a storied personal life, having been married four times, the last to actress Lauren Bacall, with whom he appeared in four films. The first was To Have and Have Not, in 1944, with the 19 year old Bacall making her screen debut at age 19. The role marked the beginning of her great acting career as well as one of Hollywood’s legendary love stories. Bogie and Bacall were married in 1945 and their marriage thrived, despite a 25-year age difference, until Bogart died in 1957 from throat cancer. In her autobiography, By Myself, Bacall notes, “No one has ever written a romance better than we lived it.”

HUMPHREY BOGART: THE SIGNATURE COLLECTION VOL. 2
Street Date: October 3, 2006
$59.92 SRP
Maltese Falcon Three Disc Special Edition $29.92 SRP
All the films are presented in Standard Format, B&W and Not Rated

The Maltese Falcon Three-Disc Special Edition
Run Time: 100 Minutes

Across the Pacific
Run Time: 96 MinutesAction in the North Atlantic
Run Time: 127 Minutes
All Through the Night
Run Time: 107 MinutesThe Stratton Story
Run Time: 102 Minutes
Passage to Marseille
Run Time: 109 Minutes

WadeM

Supporting Actor
The Stratton Story? -- I think that belongs on the Jimmy Stewart collection.. :)

Speaking of the Caine Mutiny--when is that one going to be re-done on DVD?

I'm glad to see that these are restored..

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Great, great news. Not only a new special edition of the great Maltese Falcon, but three great Bogie films I've been anxiously waiting for years to make it to dvd: Across the Pacific, Passage to Marseille and Action in the North Atlantic. I don't care for All Through the Night, so that'll sit unwatched, but it's a small price to get those other 4 films.

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
My biggest concern is the improvement in this transfer of The Maltese Falcon over the previous one? Any news on that?

Shawn

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It is on order, but the only two DVDs that REALLY interest me in the set are "The Maltese Falcon" - 3-Disc Special Edition and "Across The Pacific".

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I asked about this set earlier this week in the other thread, but got no replies.

Why are there no reviews out there? It comes out Tuesday and I can't find anything about it anywhere.

I'm also interested in the Warner "Motion Picture Masterpieces" box set coming next week (Oct 10), but haven't seen a thing about them either. Thread about that one is here.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Robert is correct. Screener product simply isn't arriving as early as it used to. In most cases, I'm getting screeners well after street date. I only received some of the HD DVD titles just a couple of days ago - and Blade Runner still hasn't arrived... When the Bogart set does eventually arrive, it will most definitely be covered for the forum.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for the replies. Maybe somebody at Warner has been on an extended vacation. :)

Well, based on their good track record with classic titles alone I'll probably order this set. It's just always nice to be fully informed before doing that. Like how I thought an upgrade to The Little Mermaid was going to be a no-brainer but now I see the disappointing news on that one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Like I noted, they're still sending out product, some of it well in advance. I don't know what the hold-up is for this set. I e-mailed their rep last week but got no response. I mean, it's not like they can be worried about piracy - who's gonna pirate Maltese Falcon, a movie already on DVD? :confused:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The 3 disc set of the Maltese Falcon got an A rating in this week's Entertainment Weekly

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Maltese Falcon was taken through a digital clean-up based upon new preservation elements.

The result on DVD is a representation of the film better than anything that I've ever seen.

RAH

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Great news! The Bogart set finally arrived today... however, a 6 disc will take awhile to go through and I hope to have it posted by the end of the week.

Mods -- The thread title should be changed as it presently infers there'll be no reviews -- that's not the case.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I already purchased this but have not seen it yet (hopefully tonight) I am interested in "a recently recovered additional scene" any news on that or is it a non-event (it is is not elaborated on in the press release)?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Someone on another website mentioned that this set is all thinpaks -- including The Maltese Falcon. Can anyone confirm this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks