What's new

Celebrity Duets (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They're kidding, right? I had the misfortune to watch the first "episode" of this derivative show and I now realize that I've got to be a bit more selective in my TV viewing. This show was annoying to me on so many levels.

I guess FOX has to fill some space before the next American Idol but this? I was actually embarrassed for Little Richard. That was worse than his recent TV commercials.

Ouch!

What am I not "getting" about this show?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think it's sort of cool to see the actual "tried and true" singers on stage with the celeb singing wannabees. Plus, given the bank the "celebs" already have, I think it's interesting to see people doing it for their own reasons, non-financial for the most part, and just see how good/bad their signing really is.

I did like Lucy Lawless's second song with Smokey. Alphonso thinks he's already got it in the bag, and it comes off a little conceited. Jai has a nice tone to his voice. Hal comes off more like a drunk frat dude singing after. Carly's got a very delicate voice (not a lot of volume), Cheech is just there to have fun, Leah isn't bad (but her range is limited), Chris Jericho was the right choice to go home this week.

Now, it is weird to see someone more discombobulated than Paula Abdul in the middle seat of the judges. Wayne Grady is a good host for this event.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> What am I not "getting" about this show?

I think you got it perfectly. It's a train wreck.

> Wayne Grady is a good host for this event.

He might be, but the episode I saw had Wayne Brady, who was such a brown noser that it's nauseating. Every performance was "amazing" or "incredible".

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My only complaint with the show is that they aren't more critical of the celebs' talent. I'd like to see more judging on par with American Idol. Imho, Jai & Hal were the best singers this week. Lucy, Lea & Alfonso were pretty good but Lucy, Lea & Carly need to learn how to project their voice out there to match their partners. I had to struggle a times to be able to pick out their voices between their partners and the backup singers.

I felt like Cheech should have been the one to go this week as his voice was just all over the map... not that Chris was that far behind.

As for the judges: Marie's doing the Paula ("You're great, everything was great!"), Little Richard surprised me by being more spot on in his criticisms than David Foster who I expected to be really tough. He is really deferring to the celeb status because he was much harsher with the Idol gang when he was on that show.

Overall, a pretty good Idol replacement while we wait for the real thing.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Part of the problem is that the other judges hog all the time & Foster has too little time.

Anyone who's life wish is to see Cheech perform with Peter Frampton can tune in to FOX tonight for a repeat.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark

I don't think he is so bad. Just doing what they tell him to do. I have video of him when he was Dracula in the Beetlejuice show at Unversal Studios Orlando back in the 90's. It's funny to see him when he was so young. He was also great on Whose Line is it Anyway.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Am I the only one who couldn't understand a word Little Richard was saying? He sounded drunk and was slurring his speech. Even worse that Paula Abdul.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think it was a COMPLETE train wreck (like, say, AMERICA'S GOT TALENT) as some of the duet partners are great singers, and they make it tolerable. Not that it is must see TV or anything, but if there is nothing else on, you could do worse.

But why don't they mention that Lea Thompson has recorded an album? Anyone else have the HOWARD THE DUCK soundtrack? I mean, she sang while a guy in a duck costume played guitar. Now THAT takes talent.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Lucy Lawless also has a couple of commercially-released XENA soundtracks under her belt, from the musical episodes "The Bitter Suite" (excellent, IMO) and "Lyre, Lyre, Hearts On Fire" (a total disaster in MANY aspects). She did all of her own singing in these projects, as did Kevin Smith and Ted Raimi (among others). Some of the other prominent cast members (including both Renee O'Connor and Hudson Leick) were dubbed.

Lucy has also appeared as Rizzo in "Grease" on Broadway, to very positive reviews.

I'm checking out CELEBRITY DUETS just because of Lucy. So far, she's been quite decent, and I've enjoyed seeing her rise to the challenges. Overall, I think she's holding her own quite well, and I hope she'll continue to do so.

As for Little Richard, all I can say is...WTF?!? I found myself feeling embarrassed FOR him.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks