What's new

2006 NFL Fantasy Football Advice Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's just about that time again. Most fantasy football drafts will be held over the next few days. In order to keep fantasy football discuss out of the NFL discussion thread, here's a thread expressly for FF.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We just finished our draft in my money redraft league. I picked 12th (last) in a serpentine draft. Here's what I ended up with:

QB: Palmer, B Johnson
RB: Portis, K Jones, F Taylor, M Barber, Duckett, Maurice Drew
WR: Steve Smith, T Glenn, Michael Clayton, Isaac Bruce, Marty Booker, Samie Parker
TE: Crumpler

I wasn't happy ending up with Kevin Jones at 4.01, but no one else would touch him, and Droughns was the only other RB close in value left on the board there. I passed on Hines Ward for Palmer at 3.12, hoping he has another huge year. Picking 12th, I had to take a few chances (Portis, early QB, Steve Smith instead of a 2nd RB). Manning and Brady were the only two QB's gone when I took Palmer.

We start 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE and 3Flex. I won't bore you with my kicker and defensive players.

My 2nd league is an all-keeper league with a salary cap. We finished our rookie / free agent draft last week. Here's that one (* are new players added via draft or trade):

QB: Bledsoe*, Leftwich, Frye, V Young*
RB: Edge, T Jones*, C Taylor, Benson, Gore*, M Barber*
WR: Chambers, Muhammed*, Michael Clayton, Mark Clayton, Braylon Edwards, Greg Jennings*

No TE is required for this league. I'm rebuilding from a terrible team last year here.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
We are starting a new league this year, so the draft order is completely up in the air. We have conducted a lottery to determine your position to choose your first round draft pick. For the first couple of people it should go in order. However, is there a point in the draft where you would prefer have picks 12/13 instead of say 6/19? Or if you view the top 3 as equal, would you take the third pick so you pick earlier in the second round?

My slot is #10, so I will have only 3 spots to pick and will probably take the highest available.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This year, I think picking #1 - #3 is a big advantage, since there are three clearcut running backs that are head and shoulders above everyone else -- LJ, LT and Alexander, in whichever order you like. After that, it's a crap shoot for the rest of the first round.

I've picked 12/13 once before, and actually won the championship that year. However, you have to take a few gambles picking that low to make up ground on the guys picking at the top.

One thing my draft at 12/13 this year had in common with that championship year -- the guy drafting in front of me had a horrible draft, never taking a player I really wanted to fall to me. I'm hoping that is a good sign for this year. :)

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Hello. I have an opening in a 3 player keeper, 12 team league. This team has T. Bell,Dillon,H. Evans,Pinner,W. Parker at RB;McNabb,McMahon, and Vick at QB;Fitzgerald,Keyshawn,Loyd, and Toomer at WR;Shockey at TE;Vanderjagt at K; and Carloina at DEF. This a ULTRA-competitive league.....This will be my 4th year in it. FH Vikings from in here is also in the league. I NEED someone who won't slack of........fortunately,everyone in here should qualify:). The draft for this league is Sunday,SEPT 3 at 6 PM. If interested, let me know either in here and/or email/IM me. Thanks.......can't wait to see who'll step up to the challenge!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Drafted in the fun league 10 out of 10 people. I probably screwed up the draft but we'll see. This isn't a money league so it's purely about bragging rights.

1 qb, 2 rb, 2 WR, and 1 flex te/wr, 1 Def, and 1 kicker

QB: Eli Manning and McNair
RB: Portis, D. Foster, D. Rhodes, Mike Bell
WR: M. Harrison, T. Glenn, D. Mason, I. Bruce and M. Clayton
TE: Gates
D: Giants
K: Vinatieri

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
We pieced together a supplemental auction league this year to try to get the owners in our regular league to convert to auction drafting. Unfortunately, we only got half of them to participate even though the entry fee was only $20. We've set it up so basically nobody has to do any roster maintenance, and due to login issues we ended up with 9 teams. It isn't head-to-head, so that doesn't matter. We'll declare three keepers at week 8 and we'll do a second auction before week 9.

I stormed out of the gate and spent 58% of my budget on two running backs, so I ended up waiting awhile to fill out the rest of my roster. I was really worried early, but I think it turned out OK for a first timer. We'll pick up the backup TE, K, and D as free agents as soon as the teams are loaded into the website.

PosNameTeamByeSalaryQBDonovan McNabbEagles (PHI)911QBSteve McNairTitans (TEN)79RBThomas JonesBears (CHI)77RBLarry JohnsonChiefs (KAN)365RBClinton PortisRedskins (WAS)851RBChris BrownTitans (TEN)73RBCedric BensonBears (CHI)72WRKeyshawn JohnsonPanthers (CAR)92WRKevin CurtisRams (STL)72WRTroy WilliamsonVikings (MIN)623WRMuhsin MuhammadBears (CHI)72WRLaveranues ColesJets (NYJ)94WRPlaxico BurressGiants (NYG)414TEJason WittenCowboys (DAL)32KShayne GrahamBengals (CIN)51DEFSeattle SeahawksSeahawks (SEA)52

And I only spent that much on Williamson because he was my last pick and I wanted to use all of my salary cap. And yes, it was all newbies. Don't try to correllate these auction values to reality.

Brad

Todd Henry

Second Unit
In my league only one guy went out of order from the lottery. He dropped from 5th to 10th. I ended up with #9 and took Ronnie Brown. Here are the rest of my starters:

QB: Bledsoe
RB1: Ronnie Brown
RB2: Deshaun Foster
Flex: Chester Taylor
WR1: Chad Johnson
WR2: Lee Evans
TE: Todd Heap
DEF: Cowboys
K: Josh Brown
Bench: M. Muhammed, N. Burleson, S. McNair, M. Barber, T. Williamson, D. Garbirel, M.Moore

Just missed out on DeAngelo Williams as Foster's handcuff by two picks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I went 1-1 in my two leagues the first week, losing in my money league due to Carson Palmer's low point total.

I have my first starting dilemma of the season. My definite starts:

QB: Palmer (over Brad Johnson)
RB: Portis
WR: Glenn, Isaac Bruce

That leaves two flex positions to fill between:
Keven Jones @Chi (tough defense, but Green did well against the Bears last week)
Fred Taylor vs. Pitt (tough defense, but Brown scored two TD's against them last week, and Taylor scored 20 points for me)
Marques Colston @ GB (got lots of targets last week, the Pack are terrible)

I am assuming that Steve Smith will be out for another week, so I am not considering him. I am also not considering Michael Clayton @ Atlanta or Marty Booker vs. Buffalo.

Right now I have Jones and Taylor in the lineup, but both have tough matchups. Colston has a very attractive matchup, but I don't know if I have the guts to start a player I just picked up on waivers after one good week.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I suggest you stick with what you have. Packer D did force the Bears to kick 4 fgs last week, and one of the TDs was on a punt return. Defense only gave up one TD, to Berrien(sp?), when the safety bit on play action.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I grabbed Colston too because he's classified as a TE but gets the looks that a WR would typically get. Plus, Drew Brees is used to tossing the ball to a tight end who plays like a wide receiver. I originally drafted Zach Hilton but dropped him when he went to the Jets. I just want whatever tight end Brees is connecting with.

My big dilemma for this week is who to start at QB -- Jake Delhomme or Mike Vick. Delhomme seems lost without Steve Smith but I still don't trust Vick. I picked him up in the hopes that he would have one of his freak weeks during Carolina's bye, I wasn't expecting to have to consider using him on a regular basis.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Colston's not listed as a TE in our league, but he's now my 6th WR -- I dumped Samie Parker (KC), so it was a no-risk move.

Michael, until Steve Smith returns, I would go with Vick.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I can only start 2 of the following 3:
Ahman Green vs Saints
Larry Johnson vs Denver
Tatum Bell vs. Chiefs

I think LJ is a no-brainer, which leaves which matchup is more favorable ?
Green is supposed to be the one and only guy at least for now against the Saints, and Bell is sharing with Mike Bell in a divisional game.

hmmmm.....
I am thinking Green over Bell.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would go with Green, too, Alex.

With Clinton Portis now doubtful against Washington tonight, my lineup is looking ugly this week (Steve Smith is also out). I just completed a trade, getting Chris Brown for Samkon Gado (picked him off waivers a couple of days ago). I also picked up Chris Henry, putting Smith on IR today. So, my lineup looks like:

QB: Palmer vs. Cle
RB: Kevin Jones @ Chi
WR: T Glenn vs. Wash
Flex: F Taylor vs. Pitt, C Brown @ SD, I Bruce @ SF

Other flex options: Michael Clayton @ Atl, Colston @ GB, Henry vs. Cle, Portis, Booker, Marion Barber, Maurice Jones-Drew

Since Taylor doesn't play until tomorrow night, I can always insert Portis in his place his status changes before tonight's game. Anyway, other than Palmer and Bruce, all my choices have lousy matchups or are long shots to produce (Henry, Colston). :frowning:

Alex-C

Screenwriter
It was a wash with Green vs Bell, if Green hadn't fumbled late, it would have been the better start (barely).
Of course, I sat Galloway. I dont know what to make of him. Tampa Bay isn't looking too good but his numbers were huge ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The fantasy football gods are against me again this year. If I'd played either Colston or Henry over Chris Brown, I'd have a legitimate chance tonight. Also, it looks like Ed Reed didn't play (he was listed as probable), because I received a zero for him on defense. The final nail in the coffin was having the Atlanta kicker, who missed four field goals. :angry:

I need a 20 points difference between Fred Taylor (me) and Polamalu (opponent) tonight. That's not going to happen.

At least I won again in my dynasty league. I'm 2-0 there, and will be 0-2 in my redraft league.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I wonder what a league would be like where you played everyone. None of this: 6 QBs and 6 RBs and nothing else. I mean, remove the aspect of the game where you try to play the matchup. (Well, in a way, you are, its just that you are acquiring players and playing all of them.)
But have a maximum # of each position, and they all play and you just use the total scores from all players....?

Alex-C

Screenwriter
3 WRs of the following:

Fitzgerald @ ATL
T.J. Houshmandzadeh vs N.E.
Keyshawn @ NO
Cotchery vs INDY
Marques Colston @ CAR

?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Assuming you get points per reception: Fitzgerald, Houshman and Colston

I'm struggling with my final flex choice. Pick one from the following:

I Bruce vs. Detroit
Colston @ Car
F Taylor @ Wash

I've already settled on:
QB: Palmer vs. NE
RB: Portis vs. Jax
WR: Steve Smith vs. NO
Flex: K Jones @ StL, T Glenn @ Tenn
TE: Crumpler vs. Ariz (over E Johnson @ KC)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
no points for receptions.

I think the big question for me is Colston on the road versus CAR against Keyshawn at home versus NO. I think this is the big (easy) letdown for New Orleans, but Brees and Colston look good together. hmmm...

Having said that, I would tell you to go with Colston. I think Taylor shares with M. Jones-Drew this week and Bruce...hmmm, who knows, he could go off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks