What's new

Justice - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My reaction to the pilot:

"Justice" - Victor Garber's back as the chief defense lawyer Ron Trott for his law firm, and he's fun to watch, especially because he gets a chance to be not-so-closed off with his emotions in his previous role of Jack Bristow on Alias. Kerr Smith is part of the gang as Tom, and he's a bit of a weak spot in the cast (also features Rebecca Mader playing Alden, a redhead with amazing blue eyes and Eamonn Walker as Luther, a formidable presence). The show is all about how the defense does its homework to prove their client's claim of "not guilty". I'm not sure this angle will work for an ongoing show, but Bruckheimer is producing it, so hopefully they can keep the cases fresh and involving. At the end of the episode they reveal how it all really went down, and whether or not the client was guilty or innocent of the crime. I liked it for what it is, but it would prove to be too reliant on the procedural aspect for continued viewing.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'll watch it tonight. I am bias against it because I feel there are way too many Law and Order type shows already. Do we really need even more crime dramas? Hopefully the twist endings will make it different enough.

I will give it a shot since it is after Bones, and there is nothing else on. I like have 2 shows in row that I like so I hope I am wrong and it turns out good.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
I don't know about everyone else, But I liked it, the camera angle thing is cool.......but lot of shows are like that. Nice to see sharks being the lawyers they are:D.....and i have friends who are lawyers!!! I'll be watching..............

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if the first episode will be shown again like Fox did with Vanished? For some reason my capture of this didn't work.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

No. Each episode is one self-contained trial.

The show was a solid C imho. I do like how they plan to show at the end of each episode what really happened. Garber helped it quite a bit, but I'm still waiting to be wowed. I'll keep watching a few more eps, since most pilots aren't representational of the finished product.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
We had no intention of watching this show, with Lost and Criminal Minds already occupying the 9PM slot. I guess we'll have to get the older TiVo up and running again, since we now have three shows to watch at the same time. Very very well done. It is radically different from the other legal dramas, due to Ron Trott's "I don't care if my client is innocent or not" perspective. The "what really happened" device at the end is great, because it makes it clear that, unlike many other legal dramas with the defense attorney perspective, where most every case is just another iteration of the same scenario (defendant is innocent; defendant proven guilty), or the legal dramas where you know early-on what the reality is, anyway, this promises a random sampling of four different scenarios (innocent defendant found not guilty; guilty defendant found not guilty; guilty defendant found guilty; and the tearjerker scenario: innocent defendant found guilty).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This show really amplifies why I usually hate Lawyers. It seems they took the worst traits of them and turned them up a notch.

I hope it doesnt turn out that all the clients in the episodes are innocent. Because I would bet the vast majority of people who need this type of legal help are probably guilty.

I know it sounds very right wing, but despite what you see on tv, the majority of people arrested and charged for a crime are guilty. The police/detectives/CSIs etc. are professionals and wont make an arrest unless they think they can win. This means that with a few exceptions, if you are arrested and charged, you are most likely guilty.

I know there will those who are wanting to spout the "innocent until proven guilty" line at me. It is perfectly fine in concept. I even agree with it. But the truth is, if the police have enough to charge you, I would think that they feel they will be able to win in court.

I would like to find out what the conviction rate is of those who have been charged. I would think it is about 80 to 90 percent.

Back to this show...

Depending on when it ends up on the schedule, I might watch a few more episodes. It really all comes down to what else is on at the same time.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I tried to watch the show...but had motion sickness with the hand held camera on my big screen and had to turn it off....

Can't they use a steady camera....

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I saw it, and enjoyed it. I wasn't originally planning to check it out, but decided to after reading some of thew reviews.

I'll give it a few more episodes, but this looks like a keeper. I thought VG was great, and tend to get hooked on these crime-based shows.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was entertaining enough, but I'm only going to be seeing the first few episodes until Lost premieres. If it hooks me more maybe I'll record it on the second DVR. Until then its status on the Replay is "Not Guaranteed."

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I finally got to see this and liked it a lot. If Fox is smart, they'll move this to one of their other timeslots when Lost comes back.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, CBS went head-to-head with the timeslot slot for Lost with Criminal Minds and Criminal Minds did okay because it offered a procedural alternative to Lost's over-arcing storylines. Fox is probably thinking the same thing with Justice.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
On a whim, I recorded this at the last minute and got around to viewing it yesterday. Being a long time Alias fan, the calling card for me is Victor Garber and he does not disappoint. As Patrick mentioned, Garber gets to show off a broader range of emotions with his character and his flamboyance is fun to watch, not to mention a bit jarring. As far as procedurals go, this is pretty much more of the same old thing. The pace is fast enough that you don't have time to ponder plot holes and gaps in logic, but for me, the missing link is/was not showing any jury deliberations. Early on in the episode, they highlight the jury selection process (singling out a potentially problematic juror) and set the stage for how important it is to play to them. Then, nothing. I know the story is told through the eyes of the law firm and they do reference a mock jury to get a read on how their defense strategy is playing, but if you are going to shift gears at the end and reveal "what really happened," why not let us in on how the jurors arrived at their decision, too.

I will probably sample this show a time or two more (what can I say, I really like Garber's acting,) but once Lost returns, I think Justice will fall off my radar.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
True, but that leaves /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Justice going up against /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Criminal Minds. I like both, but if I didn't happen to have a spare /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif TiVo Series 1 sitting around, Justice would lose out.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I liked the pilot and think the show has potential. Also Rebecca Mader looks a bit like Nicole Kidman, which can only be a good thing. :)

Interestingly the show was originally called American Crime. Apparently the network was concerned that people would think it was an A&E documentary series or a Discovery Channel reality show about a father and son legal team who keep screaming at each other all the time. :) (Standoff, the new Fox hostage negotiator show, was originally sold as Primary, but someone must have figured out that that sonded like a really boring political show and thought better of it. :))

Regards,

Joe

StephenA

Screenwriter
I liked the first episode. I'll watch it some more to give it a chance. Knowing Fox though, they may not give it a chance at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another good followup with a propulsive beat in terms of pacing. Kerr Smith is still a little too "green" as Tom, but I liked the rest of the cast of TNT&G, and Victor Garber is fun to watch in his role as Ron Trott.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I liked the second episode. However, I think if they keep only having clients who are innocent though, this will get old fast. I realize that these are high-profile cases where the media just makes people assume the clients are guilty, but I would think that more of the people who need high-priced defense attorneys are the guilty ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks