What's new

Howard and Co on Vacation AGAIN (1 Viewer)

dailW

Stunt Coordinator

like people complaining that howard takes too many vacations.starting tues. , no vacations til thanksgiving.

Monty B

Agent

Let me guess, you are an O & A "pest" trying to stir things up. Cancel your subscription if you are that unhappy. When he signed with Sirius he got 10 weeks of vacation, the same as he had at K-Rock. He also does minimally a 5 hour show per day with far less commercial breaks. Starting tomorrow they will begin playing all of the old material unedited. For $12.95 a month it sounds like a bargain to me.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
You're not a very good guesser.
Never listened to O&A, all I know about them is; that guy on Lucky Louie, whatever gets mentioned on Howard, and the piss ant fight on this site.

No, quite the opposite. I'm a devoted Howard listener[listening to a replay right now] who bought his Sirius solely for Howard.

I was just grousing because it was the third time in a fairly short period that I woke up Monday morning to a replay I'd heard 2-3 times already. And he took a little shit on the air after the first week off, and a little more shit after the second week off. Any guess if they'll be giving him shit when he finally returns this time?

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Local Time: 11:36 AM
Local Date: 09-03-2006

Re: Opie & Anthony on Letterman 8/31
Having just getting a new car, with 6 months of XM free, I can see why O&A are still awful. Remember them on WNEW,and they were awful. Even having free XM,I listen to my Sirius plugin. Two channels of Howard. All the classic bits all holiday weekend. O&A, should wish they had such material, and longevity. The Letterman appearance was no great shakes, as usual.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Billy,

Let me ask you a question....

Was it necessary to post the same message in two forum areas?

Let me be more specific with my reason for asking this question...

Why did you feel it necessary to go into a thread in the XM area
that celebrates O&A's appearance on Letterman and post not only
a thread fart -- but the the exact same message you posted in this
very Howard Stern support thread?

I think many of us have been a little careful these days to stay
out of opposing camps. By that I mean, Stern fans staying out of
the XM O&A threads and vise-versa.....

....after all, that was one of the reasons why you guys pushed
to have separate XM and SIRIUS areas.

I'm sorry you are being put on the spot here. Perhaps you
you weren't trying to do anything malicious. I just want people
to realize that we have all been pretty respectful as of late
to opposing services. I, myself, have tried to keep myself out
of the Sirius area unless absolutely necessary.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
why is o/a on letterman 8/31 in this board to begin with?

if you have a problem with o/a bring them up over in the xm board.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Billy,

Tis' cool.

There's obviously a rivalry between Stern and O&A fans.

I am trying to prevent crossover posts from opposing camps
that may lead to arguments. I am also behaving myself and
keeping to my own fan area as much as possible.

Thanks for cooperating.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator

hey if you ever want a spirited debate with o/a fans , go over to orbitcast.com. im over there a lot

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Amazing... people still bitch and complain about a guy who's worked 30+ years and a guy earns his vacation. If you worked for 30+ years you people would want to have accumulated lots of vacation, too wouldn't you? You'd be lying if you said no. It was explained all the way since his signing with Sirius the amount of vacation and Fridays that he would take off. It has also been said that at this point he has taken the same amount of vacation that he did at K-Rock up to this point.

Also take into account Gary's Father's passing and the holiday. And you got the All Request Holiday Weekend full of legendary radio.

C'mon. You people are unreasonable.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Jesus effing Christ people are touchy on this.
When I started this, I was just venting because I woke up to another week of reruns. Reruns which, since I AM a fan, and DO listen, I had already heard 2-3 times before.
It's not like I was calling for a boycott or anything.

Buit since you brought it up.

1. The issue of seniority and accumulated vacation, like he was some assembly line tech is misplaced. He a performer. He's paid to perform. If he negotiates vacation time, good on him. And if fans want to bitch about his vacations, good on them. By your logic, Brett Favre should be entitled to take a week or two off in the middle of the NFL season because he's been a starter for so long. Or you could show up on Broadway to catch Martin Short's one-man play, only you get to see Joe Piscipo playing Martin because Martin has accumulated a right to vacation.

2. The Fridays off were NOT brought up until after the first Friday missed, after he had transferred over to Siruis, a year after he signed with them.

3. Howard himself said he got 6 weeks at K-Rock, 8 weeks at Siruis.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Well...

Figure it this way....

365 days in the year...

Howard gets:
50 days (10 weeks) vacation
30 Fridays off
5 Holidays off
104 Weekend days off (Sat&Sun)

You do the math....

Howard in on air 176 days out of the year...or just 50% of the year...

Seems like the fans are getting what they pay for..

Dugger

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Jeez. No wonder we fall behind the rest of the world. Your math is terrible.

10 Weeks vacation (Correct)
30 Fridays - totally incorrect; Stern has worked about every other Friday, including this Friday (he was on new today). So, the 30 Fridays goes away. Let's cut it down to 13. Why? Because we've got a few that fall in holidays as below.
5 Holidays off - except where the holiday falls on a vacation already (Memorial day & labor day, and oh yeah, Christmas & Thanksgiving, and 4th of July) so Holidays take NO more days away, they are already covered by the vacation time.
Weekends. Except that Stern has 1 saturday appearance (I know, not much) scheduled; and Stern 101 has had a Saturday show as well (BTLS).

Also, this doesn't take into account the fact that the show generally runs 6+ hours, and we've had one occassion where two shows were done in one day (Artie Roast).

And, this of course doesn't take into anything else the networks offer, (BTLS, Ferrel, etc.)

I'm not even a Stern fan. Hadn't heard -any- Stern (period) up until he appeared on SIRIUS. It's not bad, I don't listen often, but I catch it now and again. Just not my cup of tea. But I often see this kind of thing about his programming and I go through the forums and wonder where the figures are coming from; because I need an accountant that can sell this "new math" to the government.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Believe me. H100 is all I listen too. With all the new shows Howard does, the original content, and the KROCK/WNBC tapes in his possession... it's an amazing amount of content.

That and down here in Central Florida... Bubba the Love Sponge is just as big (maybe bigger) than Howard. He's (literally) half the reason I subscribed to Sirius.

Monty B

Agent

I am starting to dig Bubba. It took me awhile to warm up to him but now I tune in every day on my way home. I have to admit that I tend to tune out when he starts talking about NASCAR, racing, etc. That just isnt my scene.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie

What? You're nuts. The football player analogy is crazy. Hell even football players get 3-4 months off a year. Most sports/entertainers get 3-4 months off.

And even Broadway performers don't perform every single day of the year. They have extendned breaks and days that they don't perform throughout the week. They have people stand in. And does Martin Short perform nearly every single day? It would also not be like Piscipo standing in. If Martin Short couldn't perform that night, he just wouldn't. Or if he decided to go on vacation, there would be no shows to even purchase. Shoot, I get barely anything done anymore because he's on so much.

You make it seem like Howard is your monkey and he should perform for you whenever you want. What I'm saying is put yourself in Howard's shoes, and do everything he does, wouldn't you want your time off as well? You may not like the Friday show, but at least it's additional material. Some of it's classic stuff. It would do you some good to see what else your $13 is going to. There's lots of stuff out there.

Your original rant makes it sound like he's not giving you your money's worth. How so? Howard while an entertainer works on a daily, okay weekday basis gets up at 4am Mon-Fri for 30+ years, go on the air for 4-6 hours, write and prepare future shows, I'm sorry but I think he works as full days as anyone else. He negotiated the vacation, so yeah, good for him. He could use more if you ask me. So why can't he just enjoy it? So let's say he avereages 5 hours a day and 18 days in a month which counts Mon-Thursday for four weeks and 2 Fridays in those four, and you get at least 98 hours of Stern a month. You can catch it on replay which you never got to do before he went to Sirius, and now there is the possibility of all of the K-Rock material. How is this not satisfying you?

And for the last time it was mentioned months before he went on the air this past January that he would be taking Fridays off. He then said it on the air before he ever took one off to which he got tons of complaints back then, when it happened and ever since, every time he takes a Friday off. So yes, it get old when people continue to gripe about something that won't change.

Even people like Conan, Leno, and Letterman take extended breaks and run weeks of repeats through the summer. TV shows have off-seasons. Hell soap opera actors are probably the most equal comparison, but they have such huge casts and rotate them so even they don't work every single day. He mentioned the Fridays off when the deal was released around the time or shortly after he left K-Rock. People were bitching back then, and it just amazes me to still read people complaining. The guy is putting more material out there than ever. He works well with this amount of vacation. So the guy wants to take some extra time off and do some other things. Given the quality of the current product compared to what could have been or not having him at all, I can't complain at all.

Evromsd

Auditioning
Real Name
Ev Rom
I have been listening to Howard for years. I have never listened to anyone but him, but now I'm pissed. First they promised no commercials and now after all the money he makes we have to listen to them. I don't want to hear ONE efen commercial. They need to play their live music sets, best of, Sal and Richard calls of while they take a shit or eat. I pay for him to be on vacation every other freaking week then to listen to commercials when he said there would be none.

With all the recordings they have we should at least have at least five different shows per day and different shows per day of the week. They keep repeating the same crap over and over again. They are getting lazy and we pay for it. We pay for his vacations, we pay to listen to commercials on commercail free radio, we pay for Arties heroin and for Robin to shoot coffee up her bum.

He should have been upfront form the start, like he says he might retire or maybe do one show a week, I am fine with that if I know what I am getting into. He made us believe we would be getting a great service with Sirius, we got less show with commercials.

Iam getting mroe and more angry as I type this and listen to another REPLAY. I took someones advice as I sat here typing. I will cancel my subscription.

I am gonna let Sirius know what a ripp off this Howard Stern show is.

I subscribed only for Howard so I don't care about the other channels or music. Its clear he doesn't care about his listeners anymore. Because when I hear them bitch about this he could care less, he continues to play commercials, bails on us on Fridays and goes on vacations every other week. It is not worth the 13 dollars anymore.

I have another problem, I am dialing and they don't answer or it keeps ringing busy. I'm sure its a ton of people calling to cancel. I'll be one of them today. I'll keep calling untill I get through. I am done with this BS.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry i can't help you on the vacation stuff, but I do have an odd question for howard listeners: Does anyone have a list of the jazzy songs howard uses most behind his live commercials over the years? There is one particular piece of music I heard playing at a restaurant the other day at a pizza parlor and my iphone was in the car so I couldnt Shazam it. It's in the same batch of music he used to use, like Green Onions, Take 5, Grazing in the Grass and Cantaloup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks