What's new

Best vampire movies (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go with an all 80's list, because oddly enough all my favorite vampire movies are from the 80's:

3. The Lost Boys. Lots of fun. Never really gets old.

2. Near Dark. A great vampire film with most of the cast of James Cameron's Aliens. I used to watch this late nights on HBO(seems thats the only time they played it) in the 80's. Forgot all about it until it got released on dvd a couple years ago. I have to hand it to Anchor BAy, they really did a great job on this release. The documentary on disc 2 was absolutely wonderful.

1. Fright Night. My all time favorite vampire flick. Roddy Mcdowell is awesome, and the story for this is just great. What would you do if a vampire lived next door to you, you are his next victim, and no one believed
you? It's got everything. Comedy, suspense, tension, and drama. Fright Night 2 was pretty good, but not near as good as this classic.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Strong list, as all three of those are quite good ( I thought FN2 sucked myself). I enjoyed the mid-90's as well, with Coppola's Dracula and Interview both being pretty good films.

Haven't had a good vampire flick in some time. Horror weenies need to get hot.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
When I first read the decade requirements I kind of scoffed for a moment until I realized that FRIGHT NIGHT is a pretty good vampire film.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I like Fright Night and Near Dark a good deal. Never could get into The Lost Boys.

My favorites are probably the old Universal and Hammer series, along with Bava's Black Sunday, Blacula, The Night Stalker...

Interview leaves me cold - I'm just not into Anne Rice's style - and Coppola's Dracula sounded like a good idea until they wussed out and tried to make him a tragic romantic type.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
- Shadow Of The Vampire (A underrated gem!)
- Cronos
- The Hunger
- Nosferatu and the remake is pretty good too! Theres a DVD out there with both the english and german versions

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Horror Of Dracula (Hammer)--I prefer this to the Universal original. Christopher Lee will always be the best Dracula for me.

George Romero's "Martin"--A pretty strange vampire film for sure.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror and Herzog's remake Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht are my favorites.

Outside of those, my next 3 favorites are these genre-bending 70's films:

Martin
Ganja & Hess
Blood For Dracula

and Larry Fessenden's low budget urban myth bender from the late 90's - Habit

I've only seen a couple of the Hammer entries that I can remember. I liked the one that doesn't have Dracula ( Daughter of Dracula?) and the cheesy fun of Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think that the best vampire film ever made is probably Carl Dreyer's 1931 VAMPYR. It has a dreamlike quality to it, and is loaded with visual poetry. It's a Danish film, but there are very few subtitles because dialogue is very sparse. I wish Criterion would release this to DVD, it's only available from Image, and they use an old laserdisc master, with big, burnt in subtitles.

DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, NOSFERATU(1922) and the 1979 DRACULA with Frank Langella are also good films. The latter film has a great John Williams score, well worth checking out.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Innocent Blood, the one with La Femme Nikita as a vampire who snacks on mobsters. Unfortunately the director's cut is not available in the United States, and the version that is available is 4:3.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have seen the original Nosferatu, but I really want to see the remake that was done in the late 70's. I am told that this is pretty phenomenal with the atmosphere, and sets. It's now on my list of films to buy.
Of course I love the Hammer Dracula films, and I completely agree that Christopher Lee is the best screen Dracula ever.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Herzog's remake of 'Nosferatu' is an absolute gem, although I wouldn't classify it as a traditional horror film. It's a more philosophical, dream-like take on the story, and the ending will really throw you. Klaus Kinski is superb as a sad, somewhat pitiful Dracula...apparently it was his calmest collaboration with Herzog.

Once again, though, Christopher Lee simply IS the fanged one. The guy could still play Dracula now...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
All good picks--I'm quite fond of the Carl Dreyer and Nosferatu. I'd add the Spanish Dracula, better to my eyes than the English version.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I saw Herzog's NOSFERATU at the legendary TLA Cinema in Philly in the late eighties. It was a midnight showing, and a completely eerie and surreal experience. Excellent film.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Lots of good choices already listed. I do love The Hunger, Near Dark, Shadow of the Vampire and Vampyr.
You may never have seen Dracula (1973) a TV production starring Jack Palance. I saw it first run and was very impressed. The director was Dan Curtis and Richard Matheson shared a writing credit with Mr. Stoker. Isn't it nice knowing that Jack's birth name was Vladimir?
I rented a tape years ago, which unfortunately had Elvira interjecting "witty" comments. I believe the current DVD releases are more respectful.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I am a sucker for a vampire flick, and love doing "favorite" lists, so I thanks for starting the thread Bryan :)

I'm gonna do more than three here.

1. Underworld - Not your average Vampire flick, but I absolutely loved it
2. Interview w/ a Vampire- After additional viewings IwaV has grown on me. And it could have been even better
3. Dracula (1931)- Bella Lugosi will always be Dracula in my mind. This one gets some additional nostalgic love for being the original
4. The Lost Boys- Pure 80's greatness
5. Blade- This movie did more than most give it credit for with special effects.
Honorable Mention- Embrace of the Vampire- If you want to see Alyssa Milano like you never have before, here you go....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks