Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Next Great Advance in Home Theater: Dolby TrueHD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 29 2006 - 02:16 AM

I don't want to get into a format war, but just want to shout from the rooftops how exciting it is to be able to play bit-for-bit replicas of the studio audio master via Dolby TrueHD.

http://www.dolby.com.../HD/trueHD.html

I've been watching movies in high definition for almost six years now, so being able to get them on a little disc is nice, but hardly eye-opening. But after playing around with Phantom and The Perfect Storm, I am thrilled again--to be able to use my "old" A/V receiver's 5.1 discrete inputs and to be able to get this kind of incredible, lossless sound reproduction. I had not planned for this!

I'm impressed (amazed, really) that Toshiba was able to enable Dolby TrueHD 5.1 through firmware, and that they did not just make this a "new feature" of the next generation HD DVD player. While I am sure the next player will offer other improvements, Toshiba has made their first generation player one to treasure.

And to think, there are currently two more movies to watch with Dolby TrueHD, and a whole slate of new releases to come!

- Steve

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,824 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 29 2006 - 03:19 AM

I've been using box cover art at DVD Empire and specs at High Def Digest to see which titles have TrueHD but may be missing some. Care to make a list of 'THD' titles a part of your thread? Posted Image

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 04:21 AM

Great post Steve!!! You're right! Who knew that the early HD DVD adopters would have the cutting edge of MPL lossless soundtracks available to them, for their personal enjoyment in their Home Theaters in 2006??? With the right HT setup and equipment, we can replicate the sonic environment of the Mixing Studios (which I did years ago w/Identical speakers all-around + timbre-matched Center Posted Image)!!!

Listening to the only TrueHD DVD I have, "The Phantom of the Opera", I'm amazed how much detail and resolution in the sound track just opened-up! It is like the sonic screen has been lifted revealing the compressed nature of DD/DTS-5.1 vs. TrueHD! Posted Image Posted Image

I might get "The Perfect Storm" just to experience that TrueHD soundtrack.

NOTE:: Ken F posted @ this HTF Thread, the list those Released & Upcoming TrueHD DVDs!.

"Batman Begins" w/TrueHD, ... which would be great! Posted Image

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 05:10 AM

Yup, Steve is right. The ability to play back Dolby HD is an exciting development in the world of home theater. Concert videos, if done correctly, will never be the same again. Not to mention the wonderful treasure trove of feature films that will use this feature. I can't wait to receive my disc from Toshiba so I can upgrade.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,824 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 29 2006 - 05:16 AM

Thx, Phil. "Apparently, TrueHD and IME are going to be very popular features with these studios going forward." Interesting if true. Par has yet to do DTHD yes? Don't wanna read too much into it but here's hoping that DTHD becomes something of a 'corporate initiative' for these studios' home vid departments in terms of release strategy. (And hopefully Par will get onboard with either this or DTS HD by the time Titanic gets released.)

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 08:28 AM

I've been hearing the original stems on movie soundtracks for several years because a friend is an audio engineer. It's ALWAYS been heartbreaking to hear Dolby encoding sap the life out of those tracks. As soon as TrueHD became available on HD DVD I ordered an HD DVD player. I'm REALLY looking forward to the HD DVD of "Superman:The Movie." My friend remastered the musical tracks for the 25th anniversary re-release. I've heard the uncompressed results in his studio and they are EXTRAORDINARY. When that film is released on HD DVD, everyone will be able to enjoy the original Williams-conducted performances like they've never heard them. (Of course, I'm leaping to the conclusion that they'll include the uncompressed tracks on the disk.)

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 10:28 AM

Ah, the very thought of Superman: The Movie in TrueHD...can only imagine the opening strains, which always gives me chills anyway, but in TrueHD?! Omg....
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 10:48 AM

I can't wait!

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Ed Faver

Ed Faver

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 01:52 PM

I, too, am thrilled with TrueHD and what can be coming in the months ahead. I plugged my system for it tonight and am in the middle of Phantom as I write this. I am working on best guess with the A1's settings. Anyone have a suggestion on best settings when listening in TrueHD?

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 04:33 PM

OMG... Batman Begins... The Matrix... End of Days... all in TrueHD? SENSORY OVERLOAD I TELLS YA! Posted Image

I wish M:i:III got the TrueHD treatment as well though. That would have been sweet.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 29 2006 - 11:52 PM

Dialogue enhancement off. Speaker settings by SPL meter and interenal test tones. - Steve

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,936 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 01:14 AM

I have a question for you, owners. Are those HD DVDs having a TrueHD track 30Gb or 15Gb? Or is it not correlated? Cees

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Ken_F

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 03:37 AM

Every HD-DVD released to date by studios uses 30Gb, except for the handful of DVD/HD-DVD combo disks, which were 15Gb on the HD-DVD side. This fall, you'll see DVD/HD-DVD combo disks with 30Gb on the HD-DVD side.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 06:54 AM

How long until the debate between Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD? (grins) Can't wait to get my player later this week. Is it easy to do an A/B (/C?) comparison between DD, DD+ and DD TrueHD using the Toshiba player and a disc with all three soundtracks? (Phantom Of The Opera is what I have in mind)

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 07:24 AM

I was thinking the same thing LOL. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but since both are loseless sound formats, they should sound identical right? Just depends on which compression technique is more efficient?

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 30 2006 - 07:55 AM

That's why I said "I don't want to get into a format war"... Posted Image If we get into BD vs HD DVD vs DTHD vs DTSHD I think my head will explode. Posted Image

I like DTS as much as anyone else (more, really) but lossless audio in general is a good thing. Bring it on and make the movies sound great!

- Steve

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 08:47 AM

I've had the experience of directly comparing the DD and DTS encoding of an audio track with the original stems. DTS sounded a bit more open and detailed than the DD5.1 (even compensating for the slight increase in volume present with most DTS encodings); but the original stems were MUCH better. I'm SO looking forward to uncompressed audio (in whatever format) becoming a standard for home theater.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   andy wells

andy wells

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 09:47 AM

I didn't think current amps could get the benefit of TRUE-hd?

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 09:54 AM

Most current receivers and preamps can't accept a direct HDMI input because they don't have them. (Although a few do.)

However, that is a separate issue from amplification. If a receiver or preamp has 5.1 (or 7.1) analog inputs to accept the analog-out signal from the HD DVD player, the internal (or external) amplifiers can reproduce the TrueHD content. (How do you suppose audio engineers playback the uncompressed audio they're working with while mixing the film? Conventional amplifiers.)

Posted Image

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 02:41 PM

Funny, I was just thinking that the Dobly and DTS debate is pretty much settled for now since nothing is going to come close to Dolby TrueHD.

That is, until I remembered the inevitable emergence of DTS HD. Posted Image

Should the A1 be able to handle full DTS HD via another firmware update? Or will that have to wait until second generation players?
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users