What's new

Samsung HLS5086 or Sony KFE42A10 (1 Viewer)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new TV, and after perusing the market today I stumbled across these two TVs, which are in my price range. The Samsung is a DLP and the Sony is LCD.

They're both roughly the same price and I'm having trouble deciding. Of course, there is an 8" viewing difference. Any suggestions/opinions on which route to take would be greatly appreciated.

The loser at the store where the Sony was refused to hook it up to a DVD player so I could check out the pic quality, but that's another story.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I prefer the look of the Sammy DLP to the Sony LCD.

Not to mention you don't get any kind of HD native resolution with the LCD.

I think it's 1366x768, which means any HD source will be scaled either up or down, degrading the picture quality in some way.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I haven't looked at that one in person, so I can't really say. I would say it's looking better right off the bat with actual 720p resolution.

One thing I's look at is that it has 3 LCDs (from what I am reading) and that means there's convergence, which is one more thing to adjust and that can go wrong over time.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator

Anytime you have multiple things to focus on a single point, you'll possibly need to converge. Typically, DLP is sourced from a single chip and many LCDs as well. In the case of a single chip/screen, there is no need to "converge" separate entities onto a single point.

However, one could argue that the PQ of a 3 LCD set is better than a single LCD.

Brian G.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Convergence applies more to CRT-based rear projection sets, which have lamps that eventually lose uniform output over time (one lamp might be out of adjustment while the other two are just fine). 3-chip LCD, LCoS/SXRD, and DLP designs are based on chips with mirrors or pixels that rely on illumination from a single source (i.e. the lamp). It is far less likely for what is essentially a computer chip to fail in a similar fashion before a CRT gun would. This is not to say that an individual pixel won't fail on a "microdisplay", but then again that has nothing to do with convergence. The lamp will eventually burn out, but replacing it usually restores the set to its original performance.

Light engine assemblies on microdisplays have been known to fail, but these are generally mechanical failures such as a faulty color wheel in the case of single-chip designs.

With that said, I've never seen a 3-chip display actually go out of "convergence".

I will agree with the first comment that the current generation of DLP sets look much better than Sony's 3LCD sets. The Sony sets do look a bit brighter, but this is at the expense of washed-out colors and poor neutral color reproduction.

BTW, you never told us what size you were looking for. For 52"+ sets, the new Mitsubishi 6-color DLP sets are actually quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks