What's new

NYPD BLUE SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wrote to Fox yesterday and asked about NYPD Blue Season 5, using an email address posted to the Hill Street Blues thread. Here is their response:

Hello,

We do not have any information on the below season at this time. Feel free to try us in a couple of months.

Thank You

Fox Consumer Services
So maybe a glimmer of hope in that they didn't say "forget it."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Nothing. Although, now that it has been a few months since my last email to them, perhaps it is time to ask again (as they suggested).

FallGuy

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
I'm chiming in not because I have any information on a release but to just add how much I'd love to get hold of S5.

When does the show start going downhill in quality? I've been watching it on DVD, having never seen it in original runs...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gord Lacey said:
Poor sales of season 4 have taken season 5 off the schedule. Gord
Thanks for the info. TV/DVD collection is a frustrating hobby at times. It's the "not knowing" for me that's the hardest (how a series is selling, no published info on when a series is "dead", etc). But, it (collecting) is also a "blast" when we see the news posts at TSoD that we've been waiting for....
I have 9 pre-orders that are coming in the next 3 months
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Poor sales of season 4 have taken season 5 off the schedule.

Gord

Well, that's obviously not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the info.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's almost enough to make me rent all my TV on DVD from Netflix. It's tough to commit $$$ to buying these box sets only to have them abandoned.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Dave Scarpa said:
It's almost enough to make me rent all my TV on DVD from Netflix. It's tough to commit $$$ to buying these box sets only to have them abandoned.
It's even more frustrating when you consider the huge cliffhanger that season 4 ended on.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I sent an email and it bounced back. Apparently, Fox's email address has changed since I sent the last note in November. Anyone have a current email?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm more than a little saddened NYPD Blue has hit DVD limbo again. I'd love to own the entire series. A shame (and a bit of a surprise) that this groundbreaking show doesn't do better.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
This is a real shame. And it's hard to blame Fox since, after lukewarm-to-poor sales for Seasons 1 and 2 they still released Seasons 3 and 4. I hope they still might consider wrapping of the Jimmy Smitts years.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Im a newer fan of NYPD blue having purchased S1 for Christmas, I would like to see season 5 too

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Only thing I can think of is the constant running of these over the past few years on TNT and Court TV may have had a hand in this. Thou no show has been run more than Law and Order and that series continues on DVD

Dave>h

Second Unit
I haven't purchase season 4 yet but I will. So many others out there to buy first... Hope I didn't directly contribute to Fox not wanting to put out season 5. Fox, I will purchase, just haven't got around to it yet!

Gord, Congrats on the TV Guide buy out! Nice to see someone we all know and appreciate make good! All the best to your new venture with TV Guide!

Dave

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
But L&O is a very different kettle of fish.
1) It isn't a serialized drama like NYPD Blue.
2) It has been on so damned long that there are an incredible number of episodes.
As a result of both these factors it doesn't "burn out" as quickly with viewers as NYPD Blue.
Personally, I think serialized shows work better on DVD, but the ones I've watched most (and most often) are shows that are no longer available in reruns (Babylon 5, Highlander) or that are available uncut in widescreen on DVD (scaled to 720p on my TV), but only rerun in badly-trimmed 4:3 on SD digital cable channels. :) It may be that for a lot of NYPD Blue fans the TNT reruns are "good enough" and that they can't watch the show that often anyway. I would certainly be happy to see S5 and beyond, but agree that it is tough to fault Fox. I think they've given the show every chance and that the market has spoken. Unfortunately, the market seems to have said, "No." :frowning:
And Gord, let me add my congratulations on the TV Guide thing. Very, very cool indeed.
Later,
Joe

Katherine_K

Second Unit
As someone who buys both Law & Order and NYPD Blue on dvd I have to admit that I re-watch my Law & Order DVDs much more than I do NYPD Blue. Despite being cop shows set in the same city they aren't that much alike and frankly of the subgenre of character driven cop shows I much prefer the Shield and Homicide Life on the Street.
One point that should probably be made though is that the seasons of Law & Order that are currently being released on DVD are not being aired by TNT. The next release in April is Year 5 (the introduction of Jack McCoy and Chris Noth's last season). The earliest episodes that TNT seems to air are season 7 or 8 and those are rare. If you want the Jill Hennessy or Michael Moriarty episodes you have to buy them on DVD, they aren't being reran.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks