Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Evanescence Album in October

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 11:14 PM

http://www.evanescence.com/

I know bashing Evanescence has become pretty routine, but I still love the debut album and think Amy Lee has an incredible voice. Thanks to really like that album, I was led to Lacuna Coil and Gretchen (and yes, I know Lacuna Coil was around before Evanescence).

I'm pretty excited about the new album, though I haven't heard anything from it yet. Anyone else looking forward to it? I'm wondering what the music will sound like with Ben Moody gone. Part of me would love an album just like the first, but I also really like it when artists grow and try new things.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Kyle McCabe

Kyle McCabe

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 03:33 AM

I think Evanescence is okay. They were definitely a hometown favorite around here for a while. My guess is that the new album, without Ben Moody, will be much more 'toned down'. I can see more pianos, less band, less distortion going on here. Just a guess, though.

By the way, if you like Evanescence, you should check out Rocky's previous band, Living Sacrifice. Best band ever!
.::Forum Sponsor::.
Carolina Furniture Group
Authorized Dealer in Home Theater Seating

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael:M
http://www.evanescence.com/

I know bashing Evanescence has become pretty routine, but I still love the debut album and think Amy Lee has an incredible voice. Thanks to really like that album, I was led to Lacuna Coil and Gretchen (and yes, I know Lacuna Coil was around before Evanescence).

I'm pretty excited about the new album, though I haven't heard anything from it yet. Anyone else looking forward to it? I'm wondering what the music will sound like with Ben Moody gone. Part of me would love an album just like the first, but I also really like it when artists grow and try new things.
the new single "call me when i'm sober" has been getting some airplay on rock radio around here (and on xm's Squizz) and the video is on the mtv2 rock countdown (sat at 7)
Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of...

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 01 2006 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L. Bisasky
the new single "call me when i'm sober" has been getting some airplay on rock radio around here (and on xm's Squizz) and the video is on the mtv2 rock countdown (sat at 7)

Yeah, I've been hearing it on Squizz. Not too impressed by it so far.

Jason

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 05:33 PM

Count me in on not impressed with "Call Me When You're Sober". I have two of their CDs, and like most of it. I tried Lacuna Coil after hearing them and thought they were OK too, but the latest Lacuna Coil all sounds the same.

Doug

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miller
I tried Lacuna Coil after hearing them and thought they were OK too, but the latest Lacuna Coil all sounds the same.

The new Lacuna Coil, Karmacode, isn't holding up very well for me either. I agree with you that it all sounds the same.

Jason

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 12:15 PM

Yah, I'm not a Lacuna Coil fan. At best they seem okay, and they suck pretty hard live.

As for the new Evanescence...meh. I didn't like the single when I first heard it, but it's grown on me. Still not a great song, but better after a few listens.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandy S

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 01:33 PM

The new album "The Open Door" as a whole left me unimpressed. Their last release, Fallen, was and still is one of my all-time favorite CDs, so I was disappointed greatly by the lack of power that their Fallen CD possessed. "Call Me When You're Sober" is probably the best track on the disc. Ouch.
There are so much better Gothic/Rock bands that I've discovered while waiting years for this release, so I'm moving out of the Evanescence camp. If you like them, try "Leaves' Eyes - Lovelorn", "Within Temptation - The Silent Force", and a new group "Delain - Lucidity". I made a compliation disc cutting out the songs with the male vocals (the weird growling Gothic thing, not my favorite) and just listening to the tracks with strictly female vocals. There's more to Gothic rock than Evanescence, but I truly hoped for more with this new CD. I hope someone likes it more than I did!

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Yah, I'm not a Lacuna Coil fan. At best they seem okay, and they suck pretty hard live.

Huh? I've seen Lacuna Coil three times live, and I think they put on a great show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy S
"Call Me When You're Sober" is probably the best track on the disc. Ouch.

Double ouch. It just isn't a very strong song.

Quote:
There's more to Gothic rock than Evanescence, but I truly hoped for more with this new CD. I hope someone likes it more than I did!

Really, I felt that Evanescence was a lesser version of bands I had been a fan of for years. While I think the first album is a fine one, I don't think they quite reach the level of Nightwish, After Forever and Within Temptation, all of which are better bands.

Never heard of Delain. Maybe I'll see if I can get a CD next week at ProgPower. Whohoo! I get to see Epica live!

Jason

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandy S

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 10:59 AM

Delain is brand new and is comprised of member of other bands (Within Temptation, Epica, Nightwish) and includes Liv Kristine as well. It's really a great album with some very strong tracks.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 12:59 AM

Quote:
Huh? I've seen Lacuna Coil three times live, and I think they put on a great show.

Agree to disagree. I've seen them twice, once in a fairly small venue and once at Ozzfest. Both times the crowd just wasn't into it.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   gushin

gushin

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy S
The new album "The Open Door" as a whole left me unimpressed. Their last release, Fallen, was and still is one of my all-time favorite CDs, so I was disappointed greatly by the lack of power that their Fallen CD possessed.

Just got this yesterday, and I totally agree. The feel of the album is mellower as a whole. The focus seems to be showcasing Amy Lee's voice, so the songs are more laid back than in Fallen.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandy S

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 01:14 PM

In other words..."boring".
Posted Image

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Bobby T

Bobby T

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't call it boring
We childproofed our house but one managed to get in anyway.

Threats appeal a lot more to us than they do to ordinary people.
Hannibal Smith

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 06:57 AM

Another big fan of the first CD who is disappointed with the new record.

For a pop record, it has very few memorable choruses. It sounds like a record that would seem very interesting to those writing it, but not to the average listener.

I don't know if it's the "sophomore" jinx or the departure of Moody as a songwriting partner, but either way I know this one won't get more than another spin or two.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandy S

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 02:17 PM

The only thing I can say is that this album has better low end than Fallen. Most of the tracks have some kick to them.
Too bad it just isn't enough... Posted Image

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 09:21 AM

I agree, sonically it is superior.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 21 2006 - 07:09 PM

I'm loving "The Open Door". While not quite as good as "Fallen" it's got some great songs and comes close to being almost as good as. Funny thing is, Call me when I'm sober I think is the weakest song on the CD.

Amy has an excellent voice and that coupled with the piano and their orchestral style is just awesome. Their music is quite haunting, for a lack of better words.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 23 2006 - 06:43 AM

That would be my assessment as well. Not as good as Fallen, but good enough that I still like the album as a whole.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow