What's new

George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7081

Looks like a FIFTH Dead film is coming called "Diary of the Dead". The strange thing is the premise...

"With a story mixing elements of "The Blair Witch Project" and the long-running "Dead" series, the film will follow a group of college students shooting a horror movie in the woods who stumble upon a real zombie uprising. When the onslaught begins, they seize the moment as any good film students would, capturing the undead in a "cinema verite" style that causes more than the usual production headaches."

Even though each Dead film can stand on its own and are not DIRECT sequels, they are still kind of linked to each other. This sounds like a complete restart.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
...sounds like a complete masterpiece!

I'll take anything from the man who gave us Dawn of the Dead - a movie so good it's in my top 5 of all time. (top 4, :) )

Thank you for the heads up and link!! :)

ry

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Wow. I thought the next "Dead" film was supposed to be a direct sequel to "Land of the Dead." Of course, I'm only taking this news with a grain of salt, as Bloody Disgusting has been wrong in the past. I'll still see it if this news is indeed true, though.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

Since that's the case, consider me completely excited about this. I wonder how soon we can expect this? Next year doesn't seem too unlikely.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
If there was an actual zombie uprising going on, who would bother with these kids' college film about it? I think there might be more pressing matters at hand.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I'm not too thrilled with the story. My take on the whole DEAD series was that zombies were unheard of until they actually appeared. Even in the first movie, NOTLD - they didn't refer to the dead as "zombies" at all. They weren't sure what the hell to call them. This is what made all the DEAD films work for me (up until LOTD - which really sucked).

My expectations is to carry the DEAD series even further into the future and show how absolutely bleak the world is with just a small colony of survivors. (See THE WALKING DEAD comics)

This story of college students filming a zombie documentary seems like a spoof to me. Now, if it were more about a news media covering the events from a city that is overrunned by zombies then I'd be sold on it.

- Colton

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I don't think they're filming a documentary on zombies. From that release it seems they are shooting a horror movie when a zombie outbreak happens.

I'm all for another dead film no matter what the story is. For an "end of the world" dead film Romero would probably need a very big budget, which is something he probably won't get.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I'll believe it when it's released. I recall that before Land of the Dead came out Romero was also developing a zombie musical and that has yet to come to anything.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Hmmm, Night of the Living Dead: The Musical, featuring such hits as "They're Coming to Get You Barbra" and "I'm Going to Eat You, Mommy!"

:D

Go watch a couple of one of the many no-budget, amateur zombie flicks out there and then diss Land of the Dead. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to rain on the parade, but I say enough is enough. I thought LAND OF THE DEAD was by far the least of all Romero's zombie films - it was too little, too late. And now he's completely ignoring any type of continuity just to have an excuse to make another one?
The "zombie" genre has now been done to death.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The zombie genre was dead when Romero brought it back with NIGHT.

As Steve said, if people really want to see some bad zombie flicks then they're out there. Countless Romero rips are released every year so I say screw them and let the Master try his hand at another one. Even if people thought LAND was "poor" or "fair", it was still a lot better than the other zombie films taking over video shelves.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

That's a matter of opinion. I personally felt LAND was only "fair", and I enjoyed 28 DAYS LATER and even the 2004 zombie film which borrowed the title of "DAWN OF THE DEAD" better than I did LAND...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Those two films were exceptions, most other zombie flicks being made today are just amateurish junk. Some have good ideas, but the execution is sorely lacking. As for the genre being played out, there are still some avenues to be explored: how would the living dead affect the various religions for instance? How about centering a zombie flick on how the government would deal with such a crisis (touched on in Day of the Dead)? How would a president deal with a zombie uprising?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This is an oldish video, but it shows a little bit of what will be in the movie:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1437313431

I liked Land quite a bit, so I'm ready for this one. The concept seems pretty '90s and brings back bad memories of Halloween: Resurrected (which, yeah, wasn't the '90s). I like that the first four Dead movies feature adults as the leads, which has become refreshing in comparison to the teen-centric horror movies of the last 15 years or more. I hope this isn't akin to those films, though maybe George is trying to learn those other filmmakers a little. I'm also guessing that this will bring the timeframe of NOTLD out of the '60s, which is kind of a shame.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's Romero, so I will watch it regardless of what I think about the concept.

I loved Land of the Dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks