Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

M&K MX-5000 or SVS PB12-Ultra/2...Can't decide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 stephenPA

stephenPA

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 02:21 AM

Ok I currently have a M&K 150 setup with a M&K 350 sub. I have moved and my theater room is over 4500 sq and want something bigger.

Well I was really coming close to getting SVS PB12-Ultra/2 based on alot of the buzz here and other sites.

Then I came across this thread which basicly stated that the M&K 5000 in a dual sub setup is pretty respectable. And I may be able to get a pair of 5000 for a good price.

I love M&K but am tempted by SVS.

The only problem I have is I have bought into the internet brands hype only to be let down before.

If anyone had experience with either one of these I would really apperaite any thoughts.

#2 of 8 BrianTwig

BrianTwig

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 02:31 AM

Stephen,

I know nothing about the M&K. I am the proud owner of an SVS PB12-NSD/2 though. Every sub I listened to in my price range <$1,000 was a big disappointment to me. Even ones costing 2 and 3 times as much were a disappointment. I just thought that my desire for bass was far exceeded by my budget limits. After lenghty discussions with Ron at SVS and the glowing reviews here and elsewhere I decided to just pull the trigger and order the PB12-NSD/2. Never in my life had I spent that kind of money on something sight unseen and unheard. My hopes were that it would provide acceptable bass compared to others I had heard.

All I can say is that it was so far beyond my expectations and was truly the first sub to give me MORE than I was looking for. Without question one of the greatest purchases I have ever made in my life. My wife complains that she has to straighten all the pictures in the house daily and has instructed me to either "sticky tab" them on the back so they don't move or find another solution to keep them level. And I have a 3,100+ sq ft house. Pictures on the 2nd floor at the opposite side of the home are all crooked even from playing at moderate volume.

And with your going with the Ultra/2 I can't even imagine the performance.
My budget system constrained by WAF

JVC HD-ILA HD-52G787
Panasonic DVD-S52K
Marantz SR5600Marantz CC4300NHT IW3s all aroundPureAV PF60SVS PB12-NSD/2

#3 of 8 stephenPA

stephenPA

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTwig
Stephen,

I know nothing about the M&K. I am the proud owner of an SVS PB12-NSD/2 though. Every sub I listened to in my price range <$1,000 was a big disappointment to me. Even ones costing 2 and 3 times as much were a disappointment. I just thought that my desire for bass was far exceeded by my budget limits. After lenghty discussions with Ron at SVS and the glowing reviews here and elsewhere I decided to just pull the trigger and order the PB12-NSD/2. Never in my life had I spent that kind of money on something sight unseen and unheard. My hopes were that it would provide acceptable bass compared to others I had heard.

All I can say is that it was so far beyond my expectations and was truly the first sub to give me MORE than I was looking for. Without question one of the greatest purchases I have ever made in my life. My wife complains that she has to straighten all the pictures in the house daily and has instructed me to either "sticky tab" them on the back so they don't move or find another solution to keep them level. And I have a 3,100+ sq ft house. Pictures on the 2nd floor at the opposite side of the home are all crooked even from playing at moderate volume.

And with your going with the Ultra/2 I can't even imagine the performance.

I know this thing will shake the house but I am wondering if I am going to lose the detail that the 5000 brings. From what i have learned, the 5000 will do great on the higher end bass but the SVS will beat it in the lower end.

Hopefull someone has heard both...

#4 of 8 BrianTwig

BrianTwig

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 03:33 AM

Stephen,

My SVS and system is used 90% for music (mostly metal), which doesn't go "low" like movies. Its very tight, fast, clean, accurate, and chest thumping. The "lowest" of the low for my music listening would have to be Les Claypool's 6 string bass. Still not close to what movies get down too and its just overpowering.

And when I do watch a movie that goes low, look out.

But my free advice is worth what your paying for it.
My budget system constrained by WAF

JVC HD-ILA HD-52G787
Panasonic DVD-S52K
Marantz SR5600Marantz CC4300NHT IW3s all aroundPureAV PF60SVS PB12-NSD/2

#5 of 8 Lee-c

Lee-c

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 05:26 AM

The SVS subwoofers are excellent in the upper bass, very detailed, clean and accurate. But they can also go down very deep and stay loud and clean, much more so than most subwoofers. But they give up nothing on music, and we listen to our SVS regularly with music. Posted Image

#6 of 8 george4

george4

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 01:45 PM

I just sold a M&K 5000THX sub. I thought it was just - ok. The folks at M&K are the best but I think there are better subs. I did not like the lack of slam. there was not enough impact in movies. It went deep just didn't make your mouth drop open. And that's what I'm l'm looking for. I want a sub that makes ME say WOW!! I am leaning towards the SVS. One things for sure - with the 5000THX costing $3500 I will have money left over from the SVS, won't I?!

#7 of 8 SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 09:27 AM

Guys,

Drop us a line anytime you want some candid advice. Suffice it to say the 5000THX is no slouch, but I'm confident we can help you on your quest.

I or someone smarter than me will be here.

rons@svsound.com

The current Ultra subs will be soldiering on for a few more months we think, but changes are coming to the Ultra lines by 2007 for sure. Doesn't make today's offerings poor choices in the least though, after all, prices for the new third generation single woofer Ultra stuff (due out first) are sure to be somewhat higher than today's (but worth any increase and then some is the plan.)

Ron
SVS

#8 of 8 Lee-c

Lee-c

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 09:05 AM

george4: Did you go with the SVS sub, and if so, what do you think of it? Posted Image