What's new

Directors You favorite "The Far Side" cartoon strip... (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, do I miss seeing this work in the newspapers. Gary Larson and Matt Groening are two of the funniest and best people at mixing slapstick and high brow humor. What's your favorite cartoon strip? List as many as you want. Mines:
Where there's a couple in the background, the farmer's holding a chicken while arguing with his wife, but two guys are in the foreground. Caption reads, "Suddenly, two bystanders stuck their heads inside the frame and ruined one of the funniest cartoons ever."
Guy is sitting in an airplane and complains about his seat. Caption reads, "Dang, Why do I have to sit next to some weirdo?" Guy is sitting next to a weird person, but some Sesame Street lookin character comes in and is about to sit in the empty seat next ot the Guy.
Peg legged dude thinks he can tell a better story than peg headed man (looks funnier than it sounds)
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
The Far Side is my favorite comic strip ever!
I can't really pick one favorite, but a few:
Pet Shop - on one side there is a fish tank housing a Piranha, on the other a cat missing to legs...
Monster kid scares monster mum with a little human doll.
A man standing on a soup box, shouting "vampires, vampires everywhere!" and he is surrounded by a bunch of people. There are some workers on the side with a large piece of glass where only the reflection of the man can be seen.
And many, many more.
Btw. If you like the Far Side, check out the book "The Pre-History of the Far Side" which documents Larson's life story, the origin of the Far Side and (my favorite part of the book) a section showing cartoons that where rejected by his editor... There is some really sick (and great) stuff there...
cheers
Bernhard
------------------
My current DVD Collection
Ni !

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
The 'gifted' kid pushing on the door that says 'pull', trying to enter a school for the gifted. The best ones are those without words or captions. THe picture tells the story.
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Amoeba wife viciously berating her ameoba husband: "Stimulus, response, stimulus, response. Don't you ever think?"
"Midway through the exam, Billy pulled out a larger brain."
Two men fishing in a rowboat. Huge mushroom cloud on the horizon. One says to the other, "You know what this means, don't you? Forget the size restrictions and screw the limit!"
------------------
Do you like SCARY MOVIES?
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12, 11 10 to go!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
A guy is having brain surgery and one of the doctors pokes parts of his brain to make his body parts move.

Some vulures are eating a cowboy and one of the vultures has his cowboy hat on and says "Hey look everyone, I'm a cowboy! Howdy, howdy, howdy!" I'm convinced Pixar ripped that strip off in the first Toy Story, when the shark has Woody's hat.

[Edited last by Richard Kim on October 12, 2001 at 09:22 AM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I like the one with the two dogs sitting on a porch, watching an unmolested cat/mailman walk away. "We're gettin' old, Jake!" one of them says.

------------------

He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.

-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
The 'gifted' kid pushing on the door that says 'pull', trying to enter a school for the gifted.
"Midvale School for the Gifted" is my favorite.
Another one of my favorites is the one where an alien monster is entering a home (in the evening) through a window, and a little weiner dog is poking his head around the corner for a look with a caption, "Whoa! I think I will skip the usual barking frenzy."
I buy the daily desktop calendars every year. I still laugh my ass off.
Brett B.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The one where the guy is lying on the couch in the psychiatrist's office and the psychiatrist is writing on his notepad, "Just plain nuts."
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
All of them, I really miss The Far Side, but the one that really sticks out in my mind, is "Boneless Chicken Farm" with all the chickens flopped around in the farm sign,bent over the fence, laying on the ground and such.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
All-time favorite:
"Sir, there's a call for you from a Mr. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
The horse hospital with horses lying in bed with broken legs.
The doctors are making their rounds with shotguns.
A ‘bang’ comes from the first screened off bed and there’s panic in the eyes of the other horses.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Isn't that all our worst nightmare?

------------------

-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
BTW if you want more from him buy the books.

------------------

-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I've always liked the alien ones: "Well, here they come... You locked the keys inside, you do the talkin'".
Spaceship with the Earth splattered on the windshield like a bug, and the pilot's saying "Oh, gross!"
"Wonderful! Just wonderful! So much for instilling them with a sense of awe." This is after the alien falls down the stairs when exiting the saucer.
"When worlds collide". Aliens make first contact with Earthlings... a goat.
Flying saucer with car strapped on top. On the car is a deer skeleton strapped on the hood, and two hunter skeletons in the car.
Other favorites:
"Iceberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!!" "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiip!"
The various "Trouble Brewing" ones... Ed's Dingo Farm next door to Doreen's Nursery, Falconer's Club next to Teacup Poodle Fancier's Picnic, etc.
Kid in classroom with unusually small head, raising his hand and saying "Maam, may I be excused? My brain is full."
"Earl! Now look where the earth is! Pull over and let me drive!"
Sharks: "Ketchup!? You mean we've been following a trail of ketchup for 2 miles?"
Another shark one: Ship full of mannequins sinks, sharks say "What is this? Some sort of cruel hoax?"
Polar bears eating an igloo: "I just love these things! Crunchy on the outside and a chewy center!"
Bears at abandoned car, one holding a hubcap to his ear: "I can hear the traffic!"
"Fumbling for the recline button, Frank unwittingly causes a disaster". At his seat on the plane, there is a switch that reads "Wings stay on" and "Wings fall off".
KJP
[Edited last by Kevin P on October 15, 2001 at 08:19 AM]

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
A man and a cow are in a lifeboat at sea. The cow is facing away from the man with a glass raised to her lips. The caption reads "Hey that's milk! You said you were all out, you stinkin' liar!" There's something about the concept of a cow milking itself for a drink that strikes me as hilarious.
Brad

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
"So I say to Hans, 'While nothing's going on, let's moon these Saxon dogs.'"
And my fave "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" All that can be seen in the side mirror is a large bloodshot eye.
Man, Gary Larson is the best.
------------------
Love kills hate.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Finally found an old link. While it doesn't completely replace Far Side, Mark Parisi's Off the Mark comics are a great start.
a quick sample:
~oe
------------------
My DVD's
[Edited last by Oscar W on October 30, 2001 at 12:36 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.