What's new

Movie scene, shot, or sequence featuring the WTC that you'll remember most. (1 Viewer)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I do not intend for this poll to be taken in bad taste at all, so if it is, I apologize ahead of time. I was just thinking about some of the films in which it appears (even in a passing tracking shot), and thought this would be a good place for some of us to remember some of our favorite scenes, shots, or sequences involving this historic landmark.
To start things off, the cinematic view of the World Trade Center that I'll remember most is from John Carpenter's Escape From New York. It gave Snake Plissken a place to land and take off from during his most heroic hour.
What are some of your memories of the World Trade Center, when you look back on it's Hollywood career? (and please try to be respectful of the current situation, thanks.)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I hate my mind for this, but I am only conjuring one movie scene. Read at your own risk:
Spoiler:In Path to Paradise, they show the captured architect of the first WTC attack comment "Next time we bring them both down". Just kills me.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

John Stockton

Second Unit
King Kong 1976
In this remake, the finale takes place on top of these twin towers, as Kong leaps from one onto another.
------------------

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Superman and the X-Men, though the latter is probably a little uncomfortable right now. Lois's flight with Superman, though, is magical and really shows off the city nicely.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of A.I., when David is flying the hovercopter over New York City submerged underwater and flies towards the WTC.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 12, 2001 at 09:55 PM]
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 12, 2001 at 10:00 PM]

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I always remembered King Kong '76 as well where he is swatting at the planes on top of the twin towers.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
I too am reminded of the submerged twin towers in A.I. (hopefully there won't be any tinkering with these images for the January dvd release). But I also think of Woody Allen's MANHATTAN--even that film's logo, I believe, features the World Trade Center--it's the H in the film's title.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Chuck, I've seen that Simpsons episode before, but I don't remember what happened in it. Care to refresh my memory a tad?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I was watching Godspell last night, and got very choked up at the end of "All for the Best," which shows the WTC just before its completion. The cast was singing and dancing on top of it, and even in an unfinished state the towers looked magnificent.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Alex:
Don't hate your mind. It's tragic what happened, and we'll never be able to look at our favorite action movies the same way again, but if we let ourselves feel guilty every time we watch them, that's just more of our freedom being robbed and giving the scumbags that did this more of the victory they wanted.
I'm reminded of one of the actors in Hogan's Heroes who played one of the German officers (I'm sorry--I forget which). He apparently lost loved ones in the Holocaust. He said playing that role was his personal revenge, making the Germans look like comical buffoons! Kind of a healthy way to handle it, I think.
Remember how we parodied Saddam Hussein in Hot Shots? Before long, we'll be doing the same to Bin Laden.
They'd better not alter A.I.!!
[Edited last by Peter McM on September 14, 2001 at 05:13 PM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Chuck, I've seen that Simpsons episode before, but I don't remember what happened in it. Care to refresh my memory a tad?
I ain't Chuck, but, from memory...
The episode was called, "The City of New York Vs. Homer Simpson"
At the beginning of the episode Homer, Barney and all of the cronies are at Moe's. Moe says that because 95% of all the drunk driving related accidents in Springfield are caused by the five of them, one of them has to be a designated driver. Barney draws the black egg. Moments later, the Duff Party Patrol pulls up saying that Barney has won a free, all you can drink Duff Party. After a night of drunken debauchery for everyone else, Barney drives everyone home and then absconds with Homer's car. Homer gets a letter several weeks later saying that his car is parked illegally at (whatever address of) the World Trade Centre. Homer is reluctant to go because of his previous experience there; they show a flashback of a young Homer being mugged, having Woody Allen dump trash on his head, etc. When they get there, Marge, Bart and Lisa go sightseeing (including catching a Broadway show about the Betty Ford clinic) while Homer is stuck waiting for the attendant to show up and remove the boot from his car which is parked right between the towers. After drinking several cans of Crab Juice to wash down the awful taste of some horrible looking food on a stick (called, I'll spell it phonetically "Cow-ca-losh"), he desperately has to go to the washroom. He is told that he has to use one of the washrooms in the towers, each of which is seemingly only located on the top floor. It also has a scene of a guy leaning out of one of the towers and yelling at Homer, and another guy telling him not to listen to him; that all of the guys in that tower are jerks. Of course, the first washroom is out of order and when he comes back down to his car from the second one, the attendant has come and gone issuing him another ticket. So, with the boot still on his car, he drives slowly away, with cars piling up behind him, shaking their fists and yelling. He eventually uses a jackhammer to remove it (practically destroying his car in the process, picks up the others and the Simpsons "escape" New York, with the other three having had a wonderful day.
It's a great episode.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
In the intro to "The Critic" there is a shot of the N.Y. skyline. That sort of made me queasy when I watched the other day.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Mitty,
I knew that episode sounded familiar. The part where he drives with the boot on his car and destroys his front end cracks me up.
I agree, we shouldn't let what happened hinder our enjoyment of the Trade Center when we see it in our favorite movies. That's why I started this thread, so we could all discuss our favorite shots or scenes of the Trade Center on film. I just looked at my Ghostbusters DVD cover and it's right there, plain as day. I can't remember off hand if it's featured in the film much though.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
the scene in Superman.
My Algebra II textbook has a nighttime photo of the WTC as the cover...I was in Algebra II when the destruction took place.
frown.gif

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, which Algebra II book do you have? Is it a fairly new book? I have an Algebra II book (which is new) with a night-time photo of a city on the cover, but since I don't have it on hand, I can't remember. (I was in Algebra II when I found out the WTC collapsed).
When I think of the WTC, I remember the scene from A.I. or the episode of The Simpsons.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
The saddest thing is that the studio has put filming of Algebra II on hold in light of the recent tragedy. Just as well though, the first one was boring and the sequel's script was strictly "by the numbers."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks Wes for starting this thread, it gives me the chance to ask everyone something. Does anyone else think that all of this sudden 'WTC cencorship' thing is ridiculous? I mean they pulled the Spiderman teaser from theaters and the net why, because it simply shows the twin towers, nothing destructive happening to them, just shows them.
confused.gif

I mean are we going to avoid anything and everything that even features the 'WTC' in them for even a fleeting shot!?! My point of veiw is this, when a loved one dies, you don't stop looking at photographs of them and throw them away, or erase them from them do you?
As far as pulling films that show buildings being destroyed are concerned, pull them. Collateral Damage should never see a theatrical run, EVER! It will be a long while before i'll even be able to watch the Die Hard trilogy again, or even look at the artwork on the cover of Die Hard.
But for films like Spiderman that shows the towers in an innocent light, keep it in the movie! What happened here on September 11th 2001 is the most aweful thing to ever happen to us, and New York will NEVER be the same without the World Trade Center towers standing proudly above the city, and even though they're not there physically anymore, please don't erase photographic evidence of their once proud exsistence!
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Users who are viewing this thread