-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount cuts Tom Cruise loose

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hirsch
There was also a story that overtures were made that instead of giving Cruise/Wagner $10M/year for their overhead (which was what the old deal called for), Paramount wanted to cut that back to something like $2.5M/year in the new deal.
I can definitely see that as a reason why Paramount and Cruise/Wagner split up. That's a huge cut.

#22 of 29 andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,174 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 08:40 AM

What a knob jockey Tom Cruise, is well I don’t really go see the films that he’s in anymore I’m listening to the real stars the re-recording mixers.

#23 of 29 dan-0

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 08:40 AM

Show me the money!

#24 of 29 andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,174 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-0
Show me the money!

Laughing my ass off, good one mate.

I guess he’s going to launch a few cruise missiles at Paramount its “War of the Cruises”Posted Image

Or Maybe he’ll be dangling from a high-rise ceiling in one of companies executive offices trying to steal information from the pc hard-drive.Posted Image

Or he might just do one of those stand up religious shows, but if you see him cruising along side Wilshire Boulevard you can bet he’s not handing out parking tickets!Posted Image

#25 of 29 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,075 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 27 2006 - 06:19 PM

Quote:
Are you taking notes, Disney? I think Mel Gibson's behavior has been even worse.
Unlike Cruise, Gibson was already an independent. Do you think Disney would have greenlit Passion of the Christ? They got squimish about Dogma, which didn't have anywhere near the same popularity (and therefore backlash).
Quote:
I'm sure his behavior wasn't just the issue. I read earlier that Paramount just didn't want to continue paying him so much money.
Bingo. The only way this is related to his behavior is that following his meltdown his movies, while still massive sucesses, have under-performed. When a star who invested nothing into a picture makes more than the studio that did make the picture, as is the case with Mission Impossible III, it's time for a change.

#26 of 29 Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 10:41 AM

Today's WSJ has a story that Dan Snyder (owner of the Washington Redskins and Six Flags) has formed a new entity called "First and Goal" to fund Cruise/Wagner's overhead. According to sources in the article, Snyder's providing $3M/year, amazingly close to the amount Paramount floated that they were willing to provide in a new deal - and a 70% cut from the overhead absorption Cruise/Wagner enjoyed under the old Paramount deal.

Cruise/Wagner still have to get financing for any pictures they develop - so today's announcement looks like "round 1" clearly goes to Paramount.
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#27 of 29 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 03:37 PM

Parmount breaking off with Cruise was one thing, but for Redstone to say what he did was totally something else. the breakup was business, but the remarks were personal. maybe Redstone had been tired of negotiating. anyways it's obvious none of the other studios were eager to take Paramount's place.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#28 of 29 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 02 2006 - 09:10 AM

Damage control?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14639315/
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#29 of 29 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 01:24 PM

My guess? Kate needed antidepressants after Suri's birth.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow