Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Turner to censor old cartoons for broadcast...could DVDs be next?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,049 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 21 2006 - 12:37 PM

http://msnbc.msn.com...52732/?GT1=8404

Thoughts?

#2 of 28 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted August 21 2006 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson

This is the European branch. Their TCM often shows pan & scan, edits, and commercials. No resemblence to the American TCM.

I figured it was about time for another "the sky is falling" about Turner. Posted Image

#3 of 28 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,049 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 21 2006 - 03:13 PM

Oh, sorry.

Well, it's still disheartening.

#4 of 28 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,756 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted August 21 2006 - 07:44 PM

This is appalling and is yet another attempt to re-write film history. I would not be too sure that cutting out scenes of smoking by Turner Broadcasting is only going to affect European TV.

#5 of 28 Stephanie B

Stephanie B

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 08:32 PM

they could show a message before the cartoons start

it should say something like this cartoon contains smoking and cartoon violence ect

um does anyone have any screenshots of tom smoking

if you do could you censor the cigerette and the smoke to show how stupid tom would look smoking nothing
teenage mutant ninja turtles cgi movie teaser trailer
http://www.youtube.c......urtles movie

GO WIDE SCREEN AND SEE THE WHOLE MOVIE THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED

#6 of 28 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 01:50 AM

The annoying thing about it to me is that
Quote:
The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offence to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, part of Turner Broadcasting which itself belongs to Time Warner Inc.

Why is it that the British Turner would prefer to piss off legions of fans to satisfy the bitching of one person? Why couldn't they have elected to disappoint the one rather than the many?

#7 of 28 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 11:07 AM

It made the main news overhere.

Simply OTT imo
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#8 of 28 Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 11:29 AM

First, let's get this completely into context. The channel in question is Turner's kiddietoon cable channel "Boomerang". It isn't a channel for moviephiles or animation students, it's one of those electronic babysitter channels parents use to hypnotise their rugrats while they get dinner ready.

It is very unusual for Ofcom (the one-stop shop for UK televisual bitching) to flag a single viewer complaint, so maybe somebody within the watchdog has an axe to grind about smoking.

Most of the vox pops conducted today said the reaction was over the top, and somewhat stupid to say it was unacceptable to see a cartoon figure smoking but acceptable to see the same character smacked in the face with a skillet.

Considering the prints being run on Boomerang are the PC syndication versions, if they're edited for content much more will there be anything left other than old Leo having a growl and the title card?

It's a shame somebody can't take the cartoons off Turner. Personally, I'm a bit more worried that this kind of cultural vandalism is being given the respectability of "concern for the children", when it's starting to smack of book-burning.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#9 of 28 Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 12:55 PM

The analogy to cartoon violence is right on point. The violence provides a much worse example than the smoking. Take out the cartoon violence, and for many cartoons there is nothing left. It's just cartoons. Let's have some common sense.

#10 of 28 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 06:33 PM

This reminds me of when Game Show Network was airing the classic B&W game shows like "WHAT'S MY LINE" (which they just cancelled - jerks!) and I'VE GOT A SECRET. Initially, they ran the shows intact, complete with the original cigarette advertisements.
Then one midwest viewer -- I repeat, ONE -- complained that this violated the FTC ban on smoking advertising, and they went back and cut all the old ads out, which also meant losing entertaining portions of the shows.

And, ironically, today's featured headline in the Onion: "Area Man Ruins It for Everybody!" Posted Image
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#11 of 28 Stephanie B

Stephanie B

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 11:30 PM

one viewer complains and they cut the ads thats so dumb
teenage mutant ninja turtles cgi movie teaser trailer
http://www.youtube.c......urtles movie

GO WIDE SCREEN AND SEE THE WHOLE MOVIE THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED

#12 of 28 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 01:46 AM

Quote:
First, let's get this completely into context. The channel in question is Turner's kiddietoon cable channel "Boomerang". It isn't a channel for moviephiles or animation students, it's one of those electronic babysitter channels parents use to hypnotise their rugrats while they get dinner ready.

Maybe this is different in Europe, but in the US Boomerang is a Baby Boomer nostalgia channel that was created as a place to show older toons while Cartoon Network showed newer stuff for rugrats.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#13 of 28 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,756 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oates

The trouble is that this ruling doesn't just apply to one kiddie channel. it will affect all TV channels showing cartoons which include characters smoking at a time when children are watching. And as cartoons are only shown in family viewing hours, these cartoons are not likely to be seen again unedited.

#14 of 28 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 04:12 AM

The Tom & Jerry DVDs are already censored; so are Disney's DVDs showing smoking. It's already upon us.

#15 of 28 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 24 2006 - 04:39 AM

I bought the damn Chinese version of the Tom & Jerry set of cartoons off ebay. 140 unedited classics complete with Mammie Two shoes, skillets in the face and T&J smoking. Posted Image

After what was done to WB cartoons I'm used to all the censoring and it doesn't bother me as long as I can get the uncensered version in some form. Heck, anything on commerical TV is likely to have an edit or two. Or at least that goddamn time compression shit. (sorry for the profanity, but it was warranted in that case).

Anyway, the point is GO CHINESE !!!!

"I like Chinese", Eric Idle

The world today seems absolutely crackers,
With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why...
I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
There's nine hundred million of them in the world today.
You'd better learn to like them; that's what I say.

I like Chinese.
I like Chinese.
They come from a long way overseas,
But they're cute and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#16 of 28 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,756 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
I bought the damn Chinese version of the Tom & Jerry set of cartoons off ebay. 140 unedited classics complete with Mammie Two shoes, skillets in the face and T&J smoking. Posted Image
[/i]

I've got that set as well. The politically correct brigade won't stop us. Hooray for China!

#17 of 28 jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R
I've got that set as well. The politically correct brigade won't stop us. Hooray for China!

Anyone else seeing the irony of this? Fucking CHINA, of all places, has not censored this. WTF is the world coming to?

#18 of 28 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.vaccaro
Anyone else seeing the irony of this? Fucking CHINA, of all places, has not censored this. WTF is the world coming to?

*passes around plate of eggrolls*
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#19 of 28 sarah99

sarah99

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970

After what was done to WB cartoons I'm used to all the censoring and it doesn't bother me as long as I can get the uncensered version in some form. Heck, anything on commerical TV is likely to have an edit or two. Or at least that goddamn time compression shit. (sorry for the profanity, but it was warranted in that case).

Anyway, the point is GO CHINESE !!!!

Sorry to be the one to tell you but at least 3 of the cartoons in your 140 have been censored.

1) Puss 'n' Toots: The scene of Tom as an Chinese stereotype (on the record player) has been cut, as well as the following gag in which Jerry mimics the ethnic Tom.

Missing chinese gag from the original "Puss 'n' Toots"
Posted ImagePosted Image

2) Saturday Evening Puss is the one that has been re-animated to replace Mammy with a white woman. The original contained a rather strange version of Mammy (she looked more like Beyonce than Mammy) also Jerry's rant to Tom about all the noise the cats are making is completely silent. On the original, Jerry is still audible. He says something like, "I'm trying to get some sleep and youse guys are out here goin' BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!"

Missing this "Mammy" in the original "Saturday Evening Puss"
Posted ImagePosted Image

3) His Mouse Friday this cartoon has all the Cannibal talk edited out, so the natives (and Jerry's impression) are silent (even though we still see their lips moving!). On the original the cannibals say "Hmmmmm barbecued cat ........... Hmmmmm barbecued mouse".

The lips move, but the words don't come out
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 of 28 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99
Sorry to be the one to tell you but at least 3 of the cartoons in your 140 have been censored.

1) Puss 'n' Toots: The scene of Tom as an Chinese stereotype (on the record player) has been cut, as well as the following gag in which Jerry mimics the ethnic Tom.

Missing chinese gag from the original "Puss 'n' Toots"
Posted ImagePosted Image

2) Saturday Evening Puss is the one that has been re-animated to replace Mammy with a white woman. The original contained a rather strange version of Mammy (she looked more like Beyonce than Mammy) also Jerry's rant to Tom about all the noise the cats are making is completely silent. On the original, Jerry is still audible. He says something like, "I'm trying to get some sleep and youse guys are out here goin' BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!"

Missing this "Mammy" in the original "Saturday Evening Puss"
Posted ImagePosted Image

3) His Mouse Friday this cartoon has all the Cannibal talk edited out, so the natives (and Jerry's impression) are silent (even though we still see their lips moving!). On the original the cannibals say "Hmmmmm barbecued cat ........... Hmmmmm barbecued mouse".
I remember seeing Tom's Chinese gag in there because I felt like I'd actually had something that wasn't edited. I don't remember Jerry's follow up. That Mammie looks funky. I'll watch these again and get back.

One problem I've had with my set is the english track being out of sync. Anyone else had this problem?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow