Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I LOVE LUCY: The California Episodes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 01:06 PM

Am I imagining things, or was it announced that Paramount was going to release all of the California episodes of I LOVE LUCY in a separate collection?

I have found no evidence of this anywhere, but I'm sure that I heard about this somewhere...

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 01:43 PM

I never remember hearing that. I could be mistaken of course. It seems like a silly idea if you ask me. Just buy the season sets, but thats for you to decide, not me.
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 03:04 PM

The California shows (27 total) were released in 1992 on VHS video (via two 3-tape "Lucy's Zany Road Trip" sets). Good quality too, with "pristine film-to-tape transfers from the original 35mm prints", per the packaging.

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 03:55 PM

Didn't that take up an entire season anyway? As Glenn says, just buying that season would amount to the same thing.
-Jay

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 04:39 PM

I believe they did Jay but it did cross over into the next season as well for a little bit.
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 08:58 PM

The California thing took up most of the 4th season and about 6 episodes of the 5th (correct me if I'm wrong.) They then were in the New York apartment for a few episodes before taking off for Europe for the rest of the 5th season. I don't see why they'd do a special dvd of just the California shows. If you have the 4th and 5th seasons, then you have them all. It's different now than when those videos came out; back then, to have a huge number of tv episodes on home video was largely decadent. Now it's totally normal.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
back then, to have a huge number of tv episodes on home video was largely decadent. Now it's totally normal.

To my wife, it's still "largely decadent" (as being a waste of money), but I'm working on changing that.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Bee
To my wife, it's still "largely decadent" (as being a waste of money), but I'm working on changing that.

I've heard people say that, as in, "Why spend money on shows you can watch for free on television?"

Such people are, no offense to your wife, clueless.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 03:25 PM

> I've heard people say that, as in, "Why spend money on shows you can watch for free on television?"

Why go out to dinner when she can cook for you? Posted Image

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 12:57 AM

Reminds me of how CBS used to repackage episodes in various ways for daytime and summer audiences, like Lucy In Connecticut, or The Sunday Lucy Show! The more things change, the more they remain the same.............

http://www.tvparty.com/unseenlucy.html
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

Forum Nav Content I Follow