What's new

Any vintage soild state fans here? Post pictures inside. I'll start first. (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I've recently been interested in Vintage stereos, speakers, etc. I was fortunate enought to find a Harmon Kardon 330c circa 1976-77 in mint condition at a local flea market for $20. I was looking for another system to put in my game room. Unfortunately the finances are terrible. So I figured, what the heck, I'm only out $20 if it doesn't work. Well, I hooked it up and it had a few issues that were easily fixed with some DeOxit, etc. Now it sounds amazing. I've picked up some old EPI 100s for a deal too that I have to refoam for this setup.

Well, here are some pictures of the 330c, my neighbor threw out the stand so I got that for free:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...h/IM000520.jpg

Here's a closeup of the unit:http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...h/IM000521.jpg

I've found a great deal on information at Audiokarma - it's a great site such as this.

Well, I just had to share.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Wow that's nice - very clean lines. You can tell where modern Harmons got their styling from. Do you know its wattage rating?

Check out this excellent site for more info and parts for EPI and other similar speakers (& this guy actually builds *new* drivers for certain older models).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They don’t get any more beautiful than the mid-to-early 70s Marantz receivers!

Here some others I like. IMO the nicest looking ones were in the late 70s. They really hit their stride then!

Check out Yamaha’s variable loudness control! Looks really great at night

The old Technics were sharp looking too...
...as were the Pioneers. This one isn't sure if it's a flagship or a battleship!
This Sansui Quadraphonic thinks it’s the control panel of a rocketship!
Didn’t now Rotel had been around that long... Very understated, nice clean lines.
Sansui must be Japanese for “My knobs are bigger than yours!”
Not everything was beautiful – check this really scary–looking JVC. Yikes!
My personal favorite, this Marantz is a later flagship model - $1600 in 1978 dollars! The blue backlighting looked great at night. Check out the midrage tone control!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for the tip, Arthur – apparently classic-audio.com restricts their pics. I’ve dropped in pictures from the Oak Tree Entertainment site, so the links will work now. Unfortunately their picture of the later-model Marantz doesn’t get the full effect, as you can’t see the way-cool back lighting of the radio dial numbers, like the classicaudio .com picture did. Look up the Model 2600 pic on their Marantz Index page. It’s towards the bottom of the “Grp 3 Rec” column.

Oh yes, for you Kenwood fans, here’s a nice late-70s Kenwood receiver!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This isn't exactly vintage, but just wanted to mention that when Technics wanted to design a nice looking piece of gear (this didn't happen often :D ) they could do a pretty good job. Check out this THX-certified :eek: receiver last sold IIRC in 1998, complete with huge wattage meters: SA-TX50. I own their SA-DA8 which looks cool, but in a rather stark old-skool, & almost military way.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm using a circa 1974 Crown DC300A for my infinite baffle subwoofer. Works great. There's a picture here. It's right over "location 1" in my backroom rack.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Yep, can't beat those 70s era looks! I still have the hair.

Well, enough of that. I've got an HK 630 that still does excellent service for a second music system. My HT sub is powered by a Yamaha commercial audio amp, and a yet-to-be-built monstrosus sub will be powered by a Phase Linear 700, circa Pink floyd era.

Yes, dear, what did you say??

oh, BTW, using the term "vintage" for anything from the 70s makes me feel really old. I was born shortly before the first human ventured into space.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't been lucky enough to find any good old Marantz, but I did pick this up at a yard sale:

Everything works, including all the light bulbs. With a small amount of cleaning, it looks great inside:

Pic 2

pic 3

Grand total: $5.00!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pioneer SX-990. 28W x 2. It has no "name" as of yet, if that's what you mean :) It sounds quite good. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I couldn't pass it up for that price and the condition. When I move to my new place, I will have a spare room and a big garage, so I'm pretty certain it will find a home in one of those two places...

BruceD

Screenwriter
Yes, I'm listening to an HK-930 stereo receiver (big brother of OP's 330) that I bought new way back when.

Still produces great sound, but I need to replace the light bulb(s) that illuminate the front panel as they died a month ago.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
My first stereo ever was the technics sa-800 that my pops bought in the late 70's it's what got me into this hobby. He bought it when was I five, then passed it on to my when I was 12. It eventually died but years later in college I found 2 on ebay so I bought them both.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Question asbout the HK 930 for Billy:

does your frequency dial needle lean over to one side? When I bought my 930 ( ~1984 pawn shop $95) the needle was warped. After trying to warm it and bend it back, it slowly leans again (from heat from lamp). I finally quit trying.

BruceD

Screenwriter

Nope, (Bruce's HK-930) don't seem to have that problem, but I've owned it since new. Maybe someone replaced the bulb that just went out on mine with one of higher wattage that warped (melted) your needle.

Marcel D.

Auditioning
About a year ago I picked up a mint condition Harmon/Kardon Citation 16 amplifier for $4. Yes, four dollars. I kept it for about a week when I decided to sell it on eBay for $450. I now regret doing that but I needed the money at the time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...10169/fc_1.jpg

Currently I'm using another Harmon/Kardon 503 amp that a cousin gave to me. All it needed was a little cleaning and it worked fine. I do have some renders of a model of it, but no pics.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I have 4 Vintage mosfet amps I refurbished myself. Two of them are Hafler DH200's with Musical Concepts PA3 boards , I tripled the capacitance, installed hexfred diodes, Black Gate capacitors , replaced the old binding posts and rca's with gold plated . I also refurbished a hafler P230, a pro version of the DH220 but with 12 mosfet output transistors instead of 8, and a mint B&K ST140 mosfet amp.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Those Haflers are nice, check this beast out.

Just Beautiful. It is going for close to $1000 on ebay. They also have one with an oscillascope going for over $2000, that is insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks