Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any vintage soild state fans here? Post pictures inside. I'll start first.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 12:16 PM

I've recently been interested in Vintage stereos, speakers, etc. I was fortunate enought to find a Harmon Kardon 330c circa 1976-77 in mint condition at a local flea market for $20. I was looking for another system to put in my game room. Unfortunately the finances are terrible. So I figured, what the heck, I'm only out $20 if it doesn't work. Well, I hooked it up and it had a few issues that were easily fixed with some DeOxit, etc. Now it sounds amazing. I've picked up some old EPI 100s for a deal too that I have to refoam for this setup.

Well, here are some pictures of the 330c, my neighbor threw out the stand so I got that for free:
http://i25.photobuck....h/IM000520.jpg

Here's a closeup of the unit:http://i25.photobuck....h/IM000521.jpg

I've found a great deal on information at Audiokarma - it's a great site such as this.

Well, I just had to share.
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 08:17 PM

Wow that's nice - very clean lines. You can tell where modern Harmons got their styling from. Do you know its wattage rating?

Check out this excellent site for more info and parts for EPI and other similar speakers (& this guy actually builds *new* drivers for certain older models).

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 19 2006 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceJ
Wow that's nice - very clean lines. You can tell where modern Harmons got their styling from. Do you know its wattage rating?

Check out this excellent site for more info and parts for EPI and other similar speakers (& this guy actually builds *new* drivers for certain older models).

Many moons ago, I owned EPI 70s and other stuff of that vintage (when I was 5Posted Image). While not a good deal like you got, sometimes I look at www.audioclassics.com to remember the good old days.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 03:30 AM

Very, very nice.

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 02:32 PM

They don’t get any more beautiful than the mid-to-early 70s Marantz receivers!

Here some others I like. IMO the nicest looking ones were in the late 70s. They really hit their stride then!

Check out Yamaha’s variable loudness control! Looks really great at night

The old Technics were sharp looking too...
...as were the Pioneers. This one isn't sure if it's a flagship or a battleship!
This Sansui Quadraphonic thinks it’s the control panel of a rocketship!
Didn’t now Rotel had been around that long... Very understated, nice clean lines.
Sansui must be Japanese for “My knobs are bigger than yours!”
Not everything was beautiful – check this really scary–looking JVC. Yikes!
My personal favorite, this Marantz is a later flagship model - $1600 in 1978 dollars! The blue backlighting looked great at night. Check out the midrage tone control!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 04:59 AM

Wayne

Thanks for the links! For some reason I can't get the pic of the Marantz.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the tip, Arthur – apparently classic-audio.com restricts their pics. I’ve dropped in pictures from the Oak Tree Entertainment site, so the links will work now. Unfortunately their picture of the later-model Marantz doesn’t get the full effect, as you can’t see the way-cool back lighting of the radio dial numbers, like the classicaudio .com picture did. Look up the Model 2600 pic on their Marantz Index page. It’s towards the bottom of the “Grp 3 Rec” column.

Oh yes, for you Kenwood fans, here’s a nice late-70s Kenwood receiver!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 07:42 PM

This isn't exactly vintage, but just wanted to mention that when Technics wanted to design a nice looking piece of gear (this didn't happen often Posted Image ) they could do a pretty good job. Check out this THX-certified Posted Image receiver last sold IIRC in 1998, complete with huge wattage meters: SA-TX50. I own their SA-DA8 which looks cool, but in a rather stark old-skool, & almost military way.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 01:12 AM

I'm using a circa 1974 Crown DC300A for my infinite baffle subwoofer. Works great. There's a picture here. It's right over "location 1" in my backroom rack.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 08:21 AM

Yep, can't beat those 70s era looks! I still have the hair.

Well, enough of that. I've got an HK 630 that still does excellent service for a second music system. My HT sub is powered by a Yamaha commercial audio amp, and a yet-to-be-built monstrosus sub will be powered by a Phase Linear 700, circa Pink floyd era.

Yes, dear, what did you say??

oh, BTW, using the term "vintage" for anything from the 70s makes me feel really old. I was born shortly before the first human ventured into space.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted August 21 2006 - 09:03 AM

I haven't been lucky enough to find any good old Marantz, but I did pick this up at a yard sale:

Posted Image

Everything works, including all the light bulbs. With a small amount of cleaning, it looks great inside:

Pic 2

pic 3

Grand total: $5.00!!
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 09:07 AM

Very nice, John! Does it have a name? Posted Image

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted August 21 2006 - 10:42 AM

Pioneer SX-990. 28W x 2. It has no "name" as of yet, if that's what you mean Posted Image It sounds quite good. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I couldn't pass it up for that price and the condition. When I move to my new place, I will have a spare room and a big garage, so I'm pretty certain it will find a home in one of those two places...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   BruceD

BruceD

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted September 17 2006 - 12:41 AM

Yes, I'm listening to an HK-930 stereo receiver (big brother of OP's 330) that I bought new way back when.

Still produces great sound, but I need to replace the light bulb(s) that illuminate the front panel as they died a month ago.

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Billy Posey

Billy Posey

Second Unit

• 254 posts

Posted September 17 2006 - 07:35 AM

My first stereo ever was the technics sa-800 that my pops bought in the late 70's it's what got me into this hobby. He bought it when was I five, then passed it on to my when I was 12. It eventually died but years later in college I found 2 on ebay so I bought them both.
so no weaknesses at all, ay?
no...uh..no....
You...uh... you hesitated there.... is there something I should know?
No, it's virtually indestructible...like 99 point 9 percent uh..
Okay... I wouldn't be doin' my job if I didn't ask what's the point o 1..

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted September 18 2006 - 05:25 AM

Question asbout the HK 930 for Billy:

does your frequency dial needle lean over to one side? When I bought my 930 ( ~1984 pawn shop $95) the needle was warped. After trying to warm it and bend it back, it slowly leans again (from heat from lamp). I finally quit trying.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   BruceD

BruceD

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted September 18 2006 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg
Question asbout the HK 930 for Billy:

does your frequency dial needle lean over to one side? When I bought my 930 ( ~1984 pawn shop $95) the needle was warped. After trying to warm it and bend it back, it slowly leans again (from heat from lamp). I finally quit trying.

Nope, (Bruce's HK-930) don't seem to have that problem, but I've owned it since new. Maybe someone replaced the bulb that just went out on mine with one of higher wattage that warped (melted) your needle.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Marcel D.

Marcel D.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 11:46 AM

About a year ago I picked up a mint condition Harmon/Kardon Citation 16 amplifier for $4. Yes, four dollars. I kept it for about a week when I decided to sell it on eBay for $450. I now regret doing that but I needed the money at the time.
http://img.photobuck....10169/fc_1.jpg

Currently I'm using another Harmon/Kardon 503 amp that a cousin gave to me. All it needed was a little cleaning and it worked fine. I do have some renders of a model of it, but no pics.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 03:01 PM

I have 4 Vintage mosfet amps I refurbished myself. Two of them are Hafler DH200's with Musical Concepts PA3 boards , I tripled the capacitance, installed hexfred diodes, Black Gate capacitors , replaced the old binding posts and rca's with gold plated . I also refurbished a hafler P230, a pro version of the DH220 but with 12 mosfet output transistors instead of 8, and a mint B&K ST140 mosfet amp.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 05:08 AM

Those Haflers are nice, check this beast out.

Posted Image

Just Beautiful. It is going for close to $1000 on ebay. They also have one with an oscillascope going for over $2000, that is insane.

Forum Nav Content I Follow