-

Photo
- - - - -

PC Magazine asks: "Will Sony Ever Be Sony Again?"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,198 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 18 2006 - 06:33 AM

I found this article and I think it makes some good points:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2003413,00.asp

What does everyone else think?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#2 of 14 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 08:04 AM

Excellent article. I particularly like the final paragraphs:

Quote:
The true beginning of the end for Sony actually started in 1988, when it paid $2 billion for CBS Records and in the next year bought Columbia and Tri-Star pictures. Instead of being an innovative electronics company, Sony got into the content business. Worse, it got into that business during the beginnings of the digital revolution, when content would be cheapened in true value by virtue of the fact that it could be easily turned into bits and sent around networks by the public.

So did Sony want to be the company making the devices to do this digital thing? Or was it more interested in the content that it needed to protect from the reality of a digital world? In this way, Sony created a conflict of interest between its future as an electronics innovator and its association with an old business that would be threatened by the digital landscape.

Of course, Sony could have led the way into new business models that might have revolutionized the movie and record businesses, but it didn't. Instead it adopted a conservative ideology that would not serve its innovative soul in any way. In fact, the company obviously killed whatever innovative soul it had. And now Sony languishes while exhibiting an odd, inexplicable arrogance that cocoons everything it does and every decision it makes. It's a shame.

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#3 of 14 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 09:53 AM

Can anyone else imagine what a vibrant, creative and dynamic industry would be be left from Hollywood to player development if this lot were taken out of the equation ?

Happy days,
~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#4 of 14 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,198 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 18 2006 - 10:27 AM

I've begun to believe the only way to save this company is to spin off its content holdings (Music, Movies, etc) into a separate company. That includes Sony Music, Columbia Pictures, MGM, and every back catalogue they've collected through acquisitions (United Artists, Norman Lear, Orion, you name it).

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#5 of 14 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 10:36 AM

I'll still buy their TVs. In fact, the display I'm using now is a Sony. But Blu-Ray just stinks of DRM and greed IMO.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#6 of 14 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 03:27 PM

I think Sony's A/V (mostly video) R&D kicks some serious tail!
Their CS has a lot to be desired.
And they have indeed spread themselves too thin.

I don't want to give them any helpful hints, as its fun to watch them twist in the wind, after the way they have treated dealers and customers in the past.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 14 Fredster

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 11:26 PM

He says "Sony has been in a steep decline as far as innovation and clear thinking are concerned for at least a decade."

The author clearly missed the whole "Playstation" thing.

Perhaps he should stick the typical PC mag stuff - 101 Greatest Windows Registry Hacks or something like that....

#8 of 14 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 01:32 AM

I will never again purchase Sony hardware. They've been caught with their hand in the jar once too often IMO and I really do not trust them any more. I agree that they have become too huge a corporation (s) to be able to see where they want to be in 5-10 years time.Very poor management, very poor customer relations/attitude.

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#9 of 14 Ed B

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 02:20 AM

Even though I own a large stash of Sony Products, 53"TV, 5.1DTS amp, PS2, etc.. I've lost faith in the company.

First I think that as they got larger their quality control has dropped. I was going to say that this is common but then I thought about Canon and how they continue to make excellent Cameras and Printers. With Sony's hands into so many things one would think that they have enough financial interests yet they're greedy by trying to force their media standards on the consumers such as Memory stick, Minidisc, and UMD. The PSP is locked down so you cant watch full resolution movies on a memory stick so you had to buy the UMD movie, recently they released a full resolution movie on the MS. The PSP is a great little handheld which could of done so much better if it had reasonable memory options, such as a CF slot and if it wasn't restrictively locked down. The PSP is about ready to fall into obscurity and they're ready to push their next gaming system leaving many customers / fans of the console left to hack their units to get some good use out of it. The PS3 is their flagship system, it could easily win the next gen console war however they're so arrogant that they feel the system will win regardless so they decided to add another non-standard format to the system, bd. This is the worst move that they could of done, this placed the console at a higher price than the competitors and its also backfired. The gamers don't care about BD they care about the games. If you've owned a PS2 you know that the lasers in those units failed and the thought of reducing the life span of your console to play movies was dumb, this will hold true even more when people play a $600 gaming machine.

Lastly Sony's most underhanded and shady thing ever done buy a large corp was to install rootkit viruses on their music CDs.

#10 of 14 Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster
The author clearly missed the whole "Playstation" thing.

No he didn't.

Playstation was designed for Nintendo, then released when Nintendo decided not to use it.

Playstation 2 promised to use the "Emotion Engine!" to do all kinds of things that couldn't be done on a PC, and be a media center besides. If you looked between the lines, Sony's goal was an attempt to be proprietary forcing studios into exclusivity. It was all it could do to match the X-box in terms of graphics in the end.

Playstation 3 is even worse. A poorly veiled attempt to take over the PC market and force exclusivity on developers by being everything to everyone, it'll be lucky to sell out it's initial shipments at it's ridiculously high pricing. It definitely will be a "Me too!", not top dog.

#11 of 14 Fredster

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-G
No he didn't.

Playstation was designed for Nintendo, then released when Nintendo decided not to use it.

Playstation 2 promised to use the "Emotion Engine!" to do all kinds of things that couldn't be done on a PC, and be a media center besides. If you looked between the lines, Sony's goal was an attempt to be proprietary forcing studios into exclusivity. It was all it could do to match the X-box in terms of graphics in the end.

Playstation 3 is even worse. A poorly veiled attempt to take over the PC market and force exclusivity on developers by being everything to everyone, it'll be lucky to sell out it's initial shipments at it's ridiculously high pricing. It definitely will be a "Me too!", not top dog.

Yes he did!

#12 of 14 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 05:15 AM

Interesting article. Sony still practices innovation, UMD, MiniDisc, Viao as mentioned in the article but their decision making practices is what's killing them. Sony did come up with BD and on paper it's clearly the format that we all would prefer, but with the problems of it's release, then this BD drives for the PCs will not play HD content is simply ridiculous. Bad decisions. Sony's fighting wars on many fronts here and their public relations is really down the dumps and that alone is a war in itself. Will Sony ever get back that luster of being an innovative company, hard to tell, but based on what has occured with the last decade says no.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#13 of 14 Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 06:39 AM

Sony Japan is rather on the innovative electronics side, more so than content...even though they also own their own music label and pictures, but their products in Japan are on par or better in Japan. I mean, blu-ray was released in Japan two years ago.

Sony USA, on the other hand, seems to be going backwards. Their focus seems to be more content and protection of content over electronics innovation from their mother company.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#14 of 14 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted August 21 2006 - 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Chang
Sony Japan is rather on the innovative electronics side, more so than content...even though they also own their own music label and pictures, but their products in Japan are on par or better in Japan. I mean, blu-ray was released in Japan two years ago.

Sony USA, on the other hand, seems to be going backwards. Their focus seems to be more content and protection of content over electronics innovation from their mother company.
Incredible how Hollywood can control a company and it's products just so that they can protect content. I'm for content protection but not at the expense of strangling innovation.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow