Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Most desired Criterion release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 of 83 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted August 19 2006 - 08:20 PM

I would add my vote for the laserdisc version of El Cid. I was so certain that this would be released on dvd that I let my ld copy go a few years ago; big mistake.

#42 of 83 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 12:26 AM

Repulsion
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#43 of 83 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 12:53 AM

Dick,
49th Parallel (1941) is available as a region 2 DVD.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#44 of 83 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:09 PM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - a special edition containing all three cuts of the film.

#45 of 83 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,458 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:35 PM

I appreciate the mention, but region 2 doesn't work for me. I find the pal conversion distracting, as either the image is like a series of 2-frame freezes, or isn't nearly as sharp. Occasionally a full-screen film such as PARALLEL would be passable, but widescreen (such as SOLDIER BLUE) were unwatchable to me. I don't have the big bucks to be able to afford players and t.v.'s that allow for smoother conversions.

#46 of 83 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 476 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 21 2006 - 01:36 AM

Pierrot le Fou is my vaguely realistic request. Rosemary's Baby is my could-never-happen request.

#47 of 83 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 03:31 AM

Soldier Blue?!? do tell more -- where was is the DVD from, is it uncut?

As for watching PAL DVDs, without having to spend money -- if your computer has a DVD drive, they'll look great on your monitor...

On topic:

Cria Cuervos (Criterion does own the rights)
Anything by Jacques Rivette and Jean Eustache

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#48 of 83 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,800 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 04:06 AM

That must indeed be a terrible PAL -> NTSC conversion.
Because normally on PAL a film is shown one frame during two TV frames (2:2), while NTSC is 2:3 (first a film frame twice, then a film frame three times).
Also, the PAL images have a higher resolution than NTSC, so if it's more blurry, something went wrong.
I would certainly recommend Ted's suggestion: see it on a HTPC.

And about Soldier Blue, I'm interested where that DVD would be too!

Place Soldier Blue and El Cid on my desired list for Criterion.

Cees

#49 of 83 OFFLINE   Gereon_B

Gereon_B

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 04:29 AM

Re Soldier Blue: The German DVD by Kinowelt is in the correct format, uncut and has the original english mono. You can get it via Amazon.de under the title "Das Wiegenlied vom Totschlag". It is also rather cheap (10 Euro, around 12 Dollar). Make sure you get the Kinowelt DVD; there were three earlier editions by a company called Best Buy Entertainment that are cut and in the wrong format.

#50 of 83 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 04:30 AM

Berlin Alexanderplatz (which is a given, of course wanting everything I'd love to see Eight Hours Are Not a Day, World on a Wire and still missing feature films with interesting extras potential like The Third Generation & Despair (A Tom Stoppard commentary on Fassbinder's use of his script?)

The Mother and the Whore
Oh, Rosalinda!

More Ozu (silents box?, Record of a Tenement Gentleman, The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, An Autumn Afternoon, etc.)

Mizoguchi & Naruse

Rossellini (Stromboli, Voyage in Italy, Paisa, Germany Year Zero, etc)

I'd also 2nd a lot of those mentioned already, but to suggest some new areas, I'd really like to see some more German filmmakers beyond Lang/Fassbinder/Schlondorff, such as Syberberg. I would love to see Hitler: A Film from Germany or Ludwig: Requiem for a Virgin King

And how about some Straub or Heddy Honigmann?
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#51 of 83 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,800 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 09:15 AM

Thanks! Will see into this immediately. Cees

#52 of 83 OFFLINE   Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 04:38 PM

Evita! I would love to see a remastered special edition!
My Extensive DVD collection.

Shameless Webpage Plug: My Movie Reviews.

#53 of 83 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted August 22 2006 - 08:03 PM

with an option for DTS sound.

#54 of 83 OFFLINE   Philo MacDuff

Philo MacDuff

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted August 22 2006 - 10:43 PM

Peter Greenaway! Criterion has yet to release any of his films which is a glaring omission for one of the most creative, ambitious directors of our time.

DROWNING BY NUMBERS

PROSPERO'S BOOKS

BABY OF MACON

THE TULSE LUPER TRILOGY

I'll echo the request for Welles' CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT and OTHELLO with the original track.
Half Man... Half Ant... All Terror!

#55 of 83 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 12:19 PM

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (thought there is a first class KINOWELT Edition from Germany)
The Austrailian 2 disc edition could have taken the honors except for the gall to release it 4:3 letterboxed!
REPULSION
CRASH
(Cronenberg)
EL TOPO
MONA LISA
remastered, enhanced
STALKER (Tarkovsky-both the released version, with correct soundtrack, and the "ruined" one, which I recall reading is fully intact, but the whole film is tinted green(?) due to a screw up at Mosfilm Labs, which was shot on a bigger budget and was a little more ambitious in scope.
Tarkovsky was tired and short of funds when he re-shot most of the film.
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#56 of 83 OFFLINE   David (C)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 12:38 PM

About the new alternate version of BSD; do you know if FFC is using the infamous bootlegged workprint?

#57 of 83 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 01:08 PM

THE SICILLIAN CLAN, DeSica's THE LAST JUDGMENT, THE POWER AND THE GLORY (Preston Sturges script), GONE TO EARTH/THE WILD HEART, THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE, THE GREEN MAN, THE ELUSIVE PIMPERNAL, LA RONDE, LE PLASIR, THREE CASES OF MURDER, BORSOLINO, UNDER CAPRICORN (Remastered).
Charles Hoyt

#58 of 83 OFFLINE   AlexNoir

AlexNoir

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 04:07 PM

I'll second 12 Angry Men...on the very short list of my favorite movies, the current DVD is a disappointment. Fortunately, the picture and audio are both good, which is most important, but no subtitles or extras is frustrating.
"Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Tell me, would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money...or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to...

#59 of 83 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted August 26 2006 - 05:37 PM

I'll also cast my vote for Polanski's REPULSION. Not only is it in desperate need of a proper anamorphic remastered release, but it would benefit greatly from Criterion's care. This would actually be my number one choice film for Criterion to license. Also -- Corbucci's THE GREAT SILENCE. It would mark a first forray into new genre territory for Criterion and also fit the Collection quite nicely as it's easily among top choice of the more obscure Italian/Euro B-Grade Spaghetti Westerns, making it an ideal addition to Criterion's picks in terms of both context and content. Not to mention the current Fontana release is soft and grainy with poor contrast and the colors are completely washed and dull, and the non-16x9 enhanced transfer riddled with dirt. Worst of all, it doesn't even offer the original Italian language track.. so you're forced to listen (and cringe through) this terrible, horrible, awful, embarassing English dubtrack! Criterion would make me so happy if they obtained distribution rights to this film. Plus Klaus Kinski is kind of an eccentric cult figure in 'international' cinema which would play into Criterion's "outline" nicely. I think this along with Repulsion would be the ultimate choices for new additions to Criterion's library of ecclectic and acclaimed film.

#60 of 83 OFFLINE   Karunafan

Karunafan

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 26 2006 - 08:15 PM

1. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
2. The Fisher King
3. A long shot but: Henry and June (To go along with The Unbearable Lightness of Being even though it is out of print it is stil part of the Criterion Family)Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users