What's new

Most desired Criterion release (1 Viewer)

lscd

Grip
Real Name
Stan
Which titles would people here most like to see Criterion release? A lot of their old laserdisc titles have been released in great DVD versions by either Criterion or other companies, but which ones would you still like to see them put out?

My wishlist from their old laserdisc titles include:

- The Magician
- Bad Day at Black Rock
- 12 Angry Men
- High Noon
- Fellini Satyricon
- Swept Away

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
A DVD rerelease (2-Disc Set) of "Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) with a 16x9 enhanced transfer, a commentary track with Director Peter Weir and Anne-Louise Lambert (Miranda), the seven minutes of footage that was deleted from the 1998 rerelease, and the two hour documentary, Dream Within A Dream: The Making of Picnic at Hanging Rock, from 2004.

Why haven't we gotten this yet?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
A Matter of Life and Death (AKA, Stairway to Heaven)
The Boetticher/Scott Westerns
More Sam Fuller

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Keeping things realistic - i.e. what they may have rights to and what they could get rights to (Fox).............

Hitokiri (1969)
The Lodger (1944)
Hangover Square (1944)
The Gunfighter (1950)
The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936)
Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN : It is too important a film to have the minor treatment Universal gave it on DVD. Universal has already licensed a bunch of films to Criterion; so I would not be out of the question.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Another vote for the Boetticher/Scott westerns (exempting 'Seven Men
From Now', already released). Of course, at this point, I'd settle for
bare-bones versions from Columbia, too.

Also: more Jean Pierre Melville, such as 'Le Doulos', and 'Army of
Shadows'. 'Army of Shadows' seems realistic because the film
was recently re-released theatrically by Rialto.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hell yeah. And all of Tarkovsky's films in a nice fancy boxset ("Solaris" is done, and they've been working on "Ivan's Childhood" for years and years. I've heard rumors about a possible "Nostalghia", but rumors only...)

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ boxset (and this is a near certainty)

THE IDIOTS (completely uncut, of course, and w/a second disc including "The Humiliated" and tons of dogme-95 scholarship)

A BRIGHTER SUMMERS DAY (the lack of Edward Yang films on DVD is a travesty)

THE DEKALOG (terribly unlikely, I guess, but the Polish WB release is an astonishingly expensive import, and the Facets/Image releases are just a step up from crap)

And so many more that it's just silly...

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Young and Innocent
Sabotage
Secret Agent
The Fall of the Roman Empire
Odd Man Out
Brighton Rock
A Matter of Life and Death
(seconded)

And a little bit outside the box perhaps, but say Huston's Battle of San Pietro and Let There Be Light.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Some Satyajit Ray and Aki Kaurismaki (have all his R2 DVDs, but anything to spread the word) would be nice.

Eric Larsen

Agent
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and The Fisher King

Spike Lee's first feature She's Gotta Have It hasn't been released on DVD at all.
The Thief and the Cobbler, Sweatbox, and Heart of Darkness would be great.

Would love to see these Criterion Collection laserdisc commentaries released as podcasts on iTunes or on DVD: Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Graduate, It's a Wonderful Life, King Kong, se7en, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, Taxi Driver, This is Spinal Tap, Tootsie, The Wizard of Oz.
Don't know enough about the Raging Bull DVD or the upcoming Bram Stoker's Dracula DVD to say whether their Criterion commentaries were
used or not.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Definately "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Napoleon (1927, Abel Gance). The rights are tied up with so many parties (Zoetrope, Universal, BFI, Photoplay Prod., StudioCanal), so I think the best solution would to have a mediator like Criterion. They've delt with all them before, anyways.

The film would be quite expensive to remaster and there's a huge amount of supplemental material (ranging from multiple versions, alternate takes, behind-the-scenes footage). Criterion would be able to justify the cost with their reputation. The topper would be to include Kevin Brownlow's book on the film, which is currently out of print. It would have to be a three or four disc edition (the latest 5 1/2 hour cut has two intermissions, so splitting into three parts is fine). Universal would surely create an excellent disc in terms of presentation, but I'm certain they would not add a single supplement, not to mention only include the Zoetrope cut. Given that Criterion is putting FOUR scores on their Pandora's Box DVD, this would be a great opportunity to put both the Carmine Coppola and Carl Davis scores on the same disc. Maybe even have someone re-orchestrate Arthur Honneger's 1927 score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks