Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What have they done to you, Scooby Doo?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 03:53 PM

In this interview with Eric Radomski, he discusses the new Scooby Doo series that he is working on:
Quote:
The series name is Shaggy & Scooby-Doo: Get A Clue.
...[T]he premise is it Shaggy has an incredibly rich Uncle Albert. Said relation disappears, and names the unkempt meddling kid as his sole heir. So, to paraphrase the now Bill Gates-rich young Mr. Shaggleford, 'Zoinks! We're like gaziillionaires Scoob!'"

But all can't be well for our heroes after all. It seems Uncle Albert had a particularly nasty adversary, your classic evil genius out to take over the world named Dr. Phibes. It also appears the late Dr. Shaggleford was an inventive fool in his own right, and his clueless young heir is now in possession of some very interesting nanotech. These busy little microrobots somehow get mixed in with our fave mutt's Scooby snacks, and before you know it the massive mastiff develops some very interesting side effects. So our heroes have a new mission, armed with a massive new state-of-the-future Mystery Machine, a loyal robot servant named Robi, and (I repeat) occasional appearances from Fred, Velma and Daphne, to stop the insidious villain named after a pair of Vincent Price movies and save the world.
Posted Image

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'll stick with the old Scooby Doo. And am I wrong, or was Scooby a great dane and not a mastiff?

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 17 2006 - 04:46 PM

Casey Kasem's coming back to voice Shaggy, though, right?

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 05:49 PM

Shaggleford? WTF?!? Shaggy has always been his nickname based on his unkempt appearance. His real name is Norville Rogers.

This new series sounds like a train wreck of epic proportions.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 07:09 PM

Quote:
Casey Kasem's coming back to voice Shaggy, though, right?

According to this, yes:

http://en.wikipedia......._Get_a_Clue!

As for the glaring error which David noted in his post... It's really sad when the new creative team in charge of a decades-old franchise know less about the property than even the contributors to a collaborative online encyclopedia. All of the characters' full names are directly mentioned even there...never mind all the show-specific sites which the new "powers that be" would obviously have been well advised to consult.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Scooby_doo

Why don't we have a "shaking one's head in utter disgust" emoticon? I guess this one will have to suffice: Posted Image

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Rommel_L

Rommel_L

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA
I'll stick with the old Scooby Doo. And am I wrong, or was Scooby a great dane and not a mastiff?
yep. Scooby Doo is a great dane...

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,047 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 18 2006 - 12:51 AM

So, resuccitate which, Richie Rich or Scooby Doo? This sounds all bad. When the robotic maid appears, let me know.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 01:00 AM

We're so sorry, Uncle Albert . . .Posted Image

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 18 2006 - 04:31 AM

That promotional image looks terrible. It's not like the Hanna-Barbera style is hard to imitate. If Sealab 2021 can do it for a parody, so can these fools.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,474 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 09:42 AM

They are sinking lower and lower. The last few scooby series were bad enough but it looks like their out to top scrappy as the all time worst Scooby Episodes.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 03:11 PM

WTF? Are they on some kind of hallucinatory drug and looking at themselves in a mirror? Those images stink to high heaven!

Where's the kid sidekick for Shaggy going to come in to the picture? Or maybe a British accented robot cop? Posted Image

It's no wonder they don't want to get the ratings system into the 21st century. If they did, I bet half or more of the shows are cancelled by October Posted Image.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 01:26 AM

It's depressing that Eric Radomski, one of the greatest creative minds behind Batman: The Animated Series (and the creator of the show's "dark deco" imagery) is stuck doing crap like this. I guess that's the animation business for you.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,238 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR
So, resuccitate which, Richie Rich or Scooby Doo? This sounds all bad. When the robotic maid appears, let me know.
dont know if you were kidding but there will be a robot,

Quote:
So our heroes have a new mission, armed with a massive new state-of-the-future Mystery Machine, a loyal robot servant named Robi,

fred wont be the same without his ascot.
http://www.newsarama....angat73dpi.jpg
next thing you know someone will take the loony tunes and make the all new and futaristic and...... oh
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 07:04 PM

LOL. Even if they changed his name and gave them a robot made it's STILL a better revamp than casting Matthew Lillard and making the dog a CGI nightmare.

If they can somehow, even with the fantastical elements and the continuity busting (and who watches Scooby Doo for the CONTINUITY) changes to Shaggy's character, make the show semi-intelligent and funny for once (as Scooby Doo has always been one of the most mind-numbingly DUMB cartoons ever produced) then this change is for the better. Easily.

Radomski is responsible for so many great moments on Batman. I like the fact a singular creative mind is behind this show, and a mind that is PROVEN to be able to bust out really good work not just for kids but able to be appreciated by adults as well. He can change whatever he likes so long as it makes Scooby-Doo a cartoon actually worth watching for once.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,238 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 26 2007 - 11:53 AM

well, this is on now.
has anyone seen it.

scooby does indeed have nano tech powers.
this past week he ate a scooby snack and broke into 4 scoobys to capture the bad guy.

it isnt too bad until scooby and shaggy come onto the screen.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,563 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 27 2007 - 07:41 AM

I randomly stumbled across this. The gang and some guy with a laptop were sitting in a restaurant, and the guy said something about having just downloaded the new Scooby-Doo game.

That was as far as I got. Oy.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#17 of 17 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 10:20 AM

So... I take it this isn't the cartoon equivalent of Battlestar Galactica?

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow