Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Alot": Something the Internet informed me about.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#1 of 136 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 08:13 AM

Until the World Wide Web arrived I thought most people spelled most of the words they knew correctly. Not so, apparently.

One misspelling that I have seen on Internet message boards (starting with this one) is actually not a misspelling but an attempt at a conjoined word: "Alot" -- as in "a lot."

Really. I see it all over the place. Which leads me to conclude that the spelling of English words here in the U.S. (or the joining of two separate words when such is not called for) is a hit-or-miss deal.

But how did people ever come to think that the words "a" and "lot" are combined into "alot"?

#2 of 136 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 08:29 AM

I'm still puzzled that people can't seem to spell the relatively simple word 'losing'... I can't tell you how many 'loosing's I've seen.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#3 of 136 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,973 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 08:35 AM

I've always spelled it "a lot" because it was drilled into me at a very early age.

"Loose" for "lose" drives me crazy. So do the many misspellings of "their," "there," and "they're."

eta: At least in this thread I should know how to spell "misspelled."

#4 of 136 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 09:19 AM

When I was looking for condos (quite a few years ago), I did a search for "condiminiums" and saw several great leads....

Later on I searched for "condominiums" and couldn't find ANY of the previous links!!! I was stunned until I realized what I had done. It's amazing how many misspellings there were out there!

#5 of 136 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,737 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 09:38 AM

I don't want to be a spelling/grammar nazi, but the one thing I absolutely cannot stand is the use of "of" rather than "have". More specifically, the contraction of have -- 've -- is misunderstood as "of" because they sound phonetically similar.

As in:

could've = could of
should've = should of

They should of known better. I would of if I could of.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#6 of 136 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,121 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 17 2006 - 09:55 AM

All I no is I'm loosing my ability to spell alot of words from to much reading on the internet. I could've saved myself alot of trouble if I stuck with good books, but its to hard. Some people here prolly dont agree. But that's they're problem and I could care less.

Quote:
But how did people ever come to think that the words "a" and "lot" are combined into "alot"?
It's spoken word and understand essentially as one word, so it's a simple assumption that it's spelled as one word.

#7 of 136 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 10:17 AM

It's spoken word and understand essentially as one word, so it's a simple assumption that it's spelled as one word.

Perhaps. But what, exactly, did these people do when they were taught how to spell in grade school? They certainly were not paying attention.

#8 of 136 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 17 2006 - 10:26 AM

I started a little thread here two months ago or so about how this forum (and a couple of others, but mostly this one) has really helped me improve my spelling and sentence structure. Spell Check is like an automatic dictionary. BTW, it's "allot", with two l's. What can I say. I'm a Spell Check junkie!
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#9 of 136 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted August 17 2006 - 10:31 AM

The Internet will ruin you if you're not careful. When I see words misspelled so many time I start to doubt my own spelling abilities. I've had to look up some very simple words just to make sure that I am spelling them right.

I've noticed the "alot" thing, too but the thing that really amazes me is the number of ways the word definitely can be spelled. (I hope I got it right)

#10 of 136 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 10:40 AM

I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know the difference between "then" and "than". It's not something I ever saw until the Internet, and now I see it everywhere.
Quote:
It should of been alot loser then that.
It boggles the mind.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#11 of 136 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 12:33 PM

I know people in college that still have problems with "your" and "you're." You're in college, damn it!

#12 of 136 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Briggs

Perhaps. But what, exactly, did these people do when they were taught how to spell in grade school? They certainly were not paying attention.

In highschool I was taught that the correct spelling was "alot". So paying attention to teachers isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

To this day I frequently forget to spell it "a lot".

#13 of 136 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 01:38 PM

Quote:
BTW, it's "allot", with two l's.

Huh? That's an entirely different word altogether.

Quote:
In highschool I was taught that the correct spelling was "alot".

High school is two words. Posted Image

I hate it when people mix up 'to' and 'too'.

Also, does it bug anyone else that when you post to a thread like this, it takes too damn long because you are paranoid about making a spelling or grammatical error? Posted Image

#14 of 136 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,864 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 17 2006 - 01:57 PM

Quote:

Grade school? How about high school and college?

Jack: There is a person I see on a daily basis. That person can NOT figure out when to use "I" vs. "Me" as either the subject or object in a sentence.

She'll say a sentence as part of a conversation. She'll then stop and ask me if she used the pronoun correctly. Invariably, she didn't. She graduated a four-year private college....in an arts program!

Spelling and grammar are always going to be "hot button" pet peeves for people to whom they are important. I'll bet this thread continues to "pile on" as more people weigh in with the particular gripe which eats at them.

I believe Jack is right when he says:

Quote:
But what, exactly, did these people do when they were taught how to spell in grade school? They certainly were not paying attention.

It is not necessarily a condemnation of the educational system that these people with spelling and grammar deficiencies exist. I believe most of these people just don't care. They weren't taught that they should care...that grammar and spelling are important communication tools which will pay major dividends in their lives. The person I referenced above certainly is educated and smart enough to learn, after our many conversations, when to use "I" and when to use "me". But, I guess it just isn't really important enough to her to commit that understanding to memory.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#15 of 136 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
BTW, it's "allot", with two l's. What can I say. I'm a Spell Check junkie!

Sorry, but "allot" does not equal "a lot". Allot means to portion out or distribute: as in, "they were alloted a limited amount of time to complete the project". Spell checking may give the correct spelling, but does not prevent incorrect use of a word.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#16 of 136 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
It is not necessarily a condemnation of the educational system that these people with spelling and grammar deficiencies exist. I believe most of these people just don't care. They weren't taught that they should care.
The other thing too is, the English language is such a hodge podge of crap, that anything goes. What's the point in learning proper spelling and grammar when people say things like "Hey, yo...you's want me and them to get ya some things?" Posted Image

#17 of 136 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 17 2006 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Sorry, but "allot" does not equal "a lot". Allot means to portion out or distribute: as in, "they were alloted a limited amount of time to complete the project". Spell checking may give the correct spelling, but does not prevent incorrect use of a word.
Man, I always thought it had one "l" but I just assumed Spell Check knew what I was thinking. Oh well, thanks for setting me straight.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#18 of 136 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,121 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 17 2006 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
But what, exactly, did these people do when they were taught how to spell in grade school?
I agree with Mike; many people don't care that much, or forgot it along the way.

It's also a matter of priority. I did well with spelling, and it remains important to me. But I retained nothing from K-12 history classes, and only took on history course in college.

Now, the battle that rages at work among a cabal of engineers is whether civilized people use one space or two after a period, in typed manuscipts. Posted Image

#19 of 136 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
High school is two words. Posted Image

You're trying to make me cry, aren't you?

#20 of 136 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
The other thing too is, the English language is such a hodge podge of crap, that anything goes.

Just bringing in the perspective of an English major here...

Mark's quote here actually is grounded in truth. English is strange because it's such a linguistic mutt. In fact, it's considered one of the more difficult languages because it's never really had a systemic reform. It's just kind of evolved. Some people refer to it as a "living langauge" (I think that's the term anyway), which means it's constantly evolving. For example, what's presented here: "a lot" vs. "alot." There may have been a time when the latter was not accepted, but the more it's used, the more accepted it will become, despite the resistance of purists. You'd be surprised by how much this happens and has happened. For example, ever looked up what "epitome" really means vs. what a lot of people think it means. To say something is the "epitome" of something doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. In fact, it just means it's the average, or standard.

Some things I consider more flexible in this manner than others. Like misunderstanding simple grammar and spelling (like there, their, and they're) is not acceptable to me. One thing that I've seen that's been changing over the years is the apostrophe s. Most people leave off the "s" if it's a name ending in "s," which they shouldn't. For example, "Barry Bonds' attourney" isn't right. There should still be an "s" there. I distinctly remember this lesson from FIRST grade, honestly.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow