What's new

What's the deal with Rear Projection LCD? (1 Viewer)

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony 42A10 and I am very happy with it. DVD and HD look excellent and SD material looks really good on this set too.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I have last year's sony 50", and am really happy with it. The prices they go for now make it a great value.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Rear projection LCD is quite popular nowadays. The TV sets are much lighter than similar sets with CRT's down inside, and there is no need for convergence.

Admittedly some the same limitations that rear projection CRT sets had are still there. These include the quality of the electronics, the dimmer image as viewed by those sitting way off to the sides, and some compromising of resolution (only relevant for HDTV) because of the screen rib pitch which is vaguely analogous to dot pitch on direct view CRT's.

Compared with CRT sets, LCD sets don't deliver as deep blacks. You may find that leaving some room lights on makes the picture look better.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

With the contrast turned way down, any TV can be viewed in a dark room without resulting in eyestrain. It is more convenient if the TV has one button selection of (customizable presets for) night time and daytime viewing where the appropriate contrast settings are saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks