Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's the deal with Rear Projection LCD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 06:28 AM

What is the deal with these? I saw a sony at Costco and it looked pretty good. Worth investing in?
Jake J.
Chief?
McCloud!
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
My Sweet Cuppin' Cake of a DVD Collectionwww.thedigitalbits.com

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   glenm

glenm

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 07:50 AM

whats the model no.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Dan DRC

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 08:35 AM

I have a Sony 42A10 and I am very happy with it. DVD and HD look excellent and SD material looks really good on this set too.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JeffLab

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 12:52 AM

I have last year's sony 50", and am really happy with it. The prices they go for now make it a great value.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 01:52 AM

No TV is worth investing in. They're like cars, terrible investments generally.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 02:05 AM

Rear projection LCD is quite popular nowadays. The TV sets are much lighter than similar sets with CRT's down inside, and there is no need for convergence.

Admittedly some the same limitations that rear projection CRT sets had are still there. These include the quality of the electronics, the dimmer image as viewed by those sitting way off to the sides, and some compromising of resolution (only relevant for HDTV) because of the screen rib pitch which is vaguely analogous to dot pitch on direct view CRT's.

Compared with CRT sets, LCD sets don't deliver as deep blacks. You may find that leaving some room lights on makes the picture look better.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

With the contrast turned way down, any TV can be viewed in a dark room without resulting in eyestrain. It is more convenient if the TV has one button selection of (customizable presets for) night time and daytime viewing where the appropriate contrast settings are saved.