Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

talk persists about a xm/sirius merger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 ralph_barr

ralph_barr

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 12:34 PM

http://today.reuters....src=rss&rpc=22

#2 of 2 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 01:52 PM

I tihnk this is farther off then the "rumor mill" wants. Hell; at this point, I think it's more likely either one would buy up Six Flags then the other.

The thing is, SIRI, while lower in subs, has a board that has "higher faith" within Wall Street. In a merger, SIRI's board would be the one that would walk away with the seats because Wall Street generally believes in Mel, as compared to their opinion of XMSR's board.

But the bigger issue is that both companies woul dfeel stress to do this merger now, when a Republican Senate/Executive are in office, as compared to the uncertainty after an election (no political talk, just a market evlauation). Companies love a known quantity, elections promise potential change, and that's to be avoided.

Could they get their act together by November? I just don't see it happening. And I thinkt here are two many investors entrenched who would make this merger difficult.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07