What's new

Discussion for the DVD release of Hong Kong Phooey (1 Viewer)

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Hassel
Wanted to see if anyone wanted to discuss this release.
I've been pretty excited about this release for the few months that I've known it was coming. I picked it up yesterday and watched the first 4 episodes with my 2 year old son. It's still a fun cartoon. The dvd release is good enough and priced right. The episodes don't seem to have had any restoration but look good. The colors seem to be a little muted and don't come across too bright, although Hong Kong Phooey's orange robe seems very bright at times. I've read a few reviews commenting on the lack of background animation and at first I too was a little put off by it, but then I remembered that it's a product of its time. (early seventies) what about the pink panther cartoons. I believe it was intentional and comes across as more artsy and it's growing on me. What's funny though, as I watched the first episode as a child I don't remember the minimal artwork at all!
Anyway, would love to hear any other comments on this fun release which brought about some good childhood memories.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a copy yesterday at Target. I've only had a chance to watch one episode though. Definitely not restored, but not that bad looking, though. Scatman Crothers ruled!!! One thing immediately popped out at me: I had forgotten how great the theme song was. It's good that WB also decided to use it in the opening menu as well. (Is it just me or did H-B have a great track record for memorable theme songs—Yogi Bear, Flintstones, Jonny Quest, Top Cat, etc.) Can't wait to sit down and watch more episodes and the extras tonight. It was one of my absolute favorites as a kid.

However, I think this will be the last H-B set I try to purchase in a Brick-and-Mortar store. You've practically got to be like Colt Seavers and Walker Texas Ranger combined to track down a copy. I had to visit three Targets (I was out of town on a business trip and couldn't find a BB or CC) before I could find ONE copy. And I had trouble finding YOGI BEAR and HUCKLEBERRY HOUND until 1-2 weeks after they had been released (and again, only ONE copy in the store at that moment). And I haven't seen ANY MAGILLA GORILLAs (but after reading about its edits, I wasn't really looking that hard). I remember WB saying some of the previous H-B sets didn't sell as well, but it seems like they're not being stocked like they could—at least here in North Carolina.

Jeff Wooten

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to getting HKP, and should have it Monday. I ordered it online after finding that the b&m prices couldn't match a certain online retailer. I found HKP at WalMart, but they didn't have Magilla (maybe ran out of shelf stock that day), while Future Shop had lots of both. I did order Magilla online too, knowing that this edited-down release is unlikely to be improved on anytime soon.

I saw some HKP episodes again a few years ago, and was disappointed in the sparse artwork. To me, it looked more cheap than artistic. The writing was only so-so, but I agree it's a fun show that I've always had a soft spot for. And Crothers gave great line readings! I proudly display my HKP doll from the Hanna-Barbera attraction at Universal Studios Florida at my desk at home, and drink from a HKP mug at work, so I guess I'm a fan.

Somehow, despite being a big H-B buff, I've never, ever seen Magilla Gorilla, so despite the edits I'm looking forward to that DVD set probably a little more than Hong Kong Phooey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks