-

Photo
- - - - -

secrets of benchmark tests with dvd players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan Magnin

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 09:57 AM

A few years ago I made purchase of the Panasonic RP-82 dvd/dvd audio player based on findings of multiple tests that a plethora of players were subjected to. The panny cost me about $240.00 on ebay. It was rated higher in performance than a very, very expensive Denon player at the time. Question comes to mind about the abilities of the PS3 coming out. How will it perform as compared to others?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:04 PM

benchmark it, and find out.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 03:54 AM

Keep in mind the Benchmark tests are only one piece of it all when evaluating video quality. I have seen players which didn't do real well on the Benchmark produce some very nice images in terms of color rendition, blacks, sharpness, clarity, and detail.

On the other hand, I've seen some players do very well on the tests which really didn't impress me much.

Also, some of it depends on what you watch. Some of the deinterlacing tests are less important if you watch film-based DVDs vs PAL or video sources.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 07:31 AM

The point of benchmarking is to provide an objective (though hardly all encompassing) standard for review. Sometimes a manufacturer gets lucky. Sometimes it releases a real turkey.

I believe you can buy the DVD benchmarks from secrets and conduct your own tests. They don't test audio, which could explain why some multi-thousand dollar universals score rather poorly on the tests.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 16 2006 - 02:36 PM

Quote:
How will it perform as compared to others?

I'll check my tarot cards and get back to you.

Let's see, the Tower reversed, The Magician, and DEATH.

Outlook not so good.

Oh wait, that's the Magic 8 Ball. Posted Image

- Steve