Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mary Tyler Moore S:4


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

    Supporting Actor

  • 586 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 04 2004

Posted August 14 2006 - 05:35 PM

I just watched "Ted Baxter Meets Walter Cronkite". Correct me if I'm wrong but when Ted goes up to receive his Teddy Award, he hugs the waiter who happens to be the same guy that was a regular background character on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

#2 of 15 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

    Producer

  • 5,736 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2002

Posted August 14 2006 - 06:12 PM

Yep. That's Frank Adamo.

He popped up in several MTM episodes.

#3 of 15 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

    Executive Producer

  • 10,627 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2006
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 15 2006 - 09:24 AM

Frank Adamo was Dick Van Dyke's stand-in, so that's why he's usually somewhere in crowds of the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (and occasionally with a speaking part).

#4 of 15 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

    Producer

  • 5,736 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2002

Posted August 15 2006 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
Frank Adamo was Dick Van Dyke's stand-in, so that's why he's usually somewhere in crowds of the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (and occasionally with a speaking part).
Frank's most famous (and funniest) bit part being......

Robert Petrie wrote a show...
Supposed to be funny, ho-ho-ho...
Look how far this man has gotten...
Writing shows that are really rotten!


Posted Image

#5 of 15 Ollie

Ollie

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 148 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 21 2006

Posted August 25 2006 - 08:30 AM

I'm looking ahead to the Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 5. I've purchased and thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 seasons.

I know that Rhoda left to begin her own show after season 4. But I don't remember any details of the original broadcast of season 5.

Can those of you who DO remember comment on whether or not the series maintained the humor and writing quality in it's last three seasons...5, 6, 7. Or was there a decline in quality/humor with the MTM show, post Rhoda as there was with the Andy Griffith Show, post Barney Fife? I stopped collecting the Andy Griffith Show after the 5th season because the show wasn't the same for me without Barney. It was likeable, but not anything that I'd want to own so that I could rewatch it over and over.

I'm hoping that isn't the case with the later seasons of MTM, and welcome all perspectives on the final seasons.

#6 of 15 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

    Lead Actor

  • 6,546 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 18 2002

Posted August 25 2006 - 10:26 AM

From what I remember, the show held up very well in general right to the end, with some signature episodes still to come.
Looking forward to seeing Marys new apartment (isn't that season 5?).

anyone have a date on the next season?

#7 of 15 JohnMor

JohnMor

    Producer

  • 3,068 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2004
  • Real Name:John Moreland
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 25 2006 - 11:28 AM

The MTM Show definitely did NOT have a decrease in quality during the final years. If anything, I always felt it got better each year. There are some terrific episodes in each year ahead,and the writing of the character relationships just got deeper and funnier.

As for Season 5, that has among other things, Mary going to jail in order to protect her source in a great episode. I believe she does not change apartments until the 6th Season (I think...)

Rest assured, imho, the best is yet to come...

#8 of 15 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

    Second Unit

  • 260 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 20 2005

Posted August 25 2006 - 12:47 PM

Agreed, MTM performed that miraculous feat of staying great right up to the end. (To me, the first couple of seasons are the shakiest. There are great episodes, and the pilot is amazingly great, but it's still rooted in shtickiness, and the episodes are more hit-and-miss.) There are the occasional signs that it was time to finish the show (I recall a dream sequence where Mary tells Ted it's her dream and she'll do as she pleases in it -- a silly, fourth-wall breaking conceit of the sort I hate), but that was rare. The final episode remains the best comedy series finale I've seen to this day, and a model of economy. Comedy finales have gotten longer (much longer!) and more elaborate, but nothing beats "It's a Long Way to Tipperary!"

#9 of 15 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

    Screenwriter

  • 2,001 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005
  • Real Name:Joe

Posted August 25 2006 - 05:42 PM

This is a rare series that never jumped the shark. With Rhoda and later Phyllis gone, Sue Ann Nivens was given more to do. I do want to say, though, that I never cared for the character of Georgette. I always had the feeling they thought we were all sitting there saying, "Oh, isn't she adorable?" I was just sitting there saying, "Oh, isn't she dumb?"

#10 of 15 Marty M

Marty M

    Screenwriter

  • 2,906 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 06 1998

Posted August 26 2006 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
This is a rare series that never jumped the shark. With Rhoda and later Phyllis gone, Sue Ann Nivens was given more to do. I do want to say, though, that I never cared for the character of Georgette. I always had the feeling they thought we were all sitting there saying, "Oh, isn't she adorable?" I was just sitting there saying, "Oh, isn't she dumb?"
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. This has always been my favorite sitcom, and will be purchasing every season on DVD. I was definitely getting nervous waiting for a decision on releasing Season 2.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#11 of 15 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

    Second Unit

  • 260 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 20 2005

Posted August 26 2006 - 07:17 AM

I agree, Georgette never charmed me. But I did like that she brought out new dimensions in the character of Ted, and for that, she was worth it. And frankly, the writers were in a bit of a bind -- would we have really believed that anybody brighter than Georgette would see what she saw in Ted?

#12 of 15 3rdStageNavigator

3rdStageNavigator

    Auditioning

  • 9 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 07 2006

Posted August 26 2006 - 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
I'm looking ahead to the Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 5. I've purchased and thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 seasons.

I know that Rhoda left to begin her own show after season 4. But I don't remember any details of the original broadcast of season 5.

Can those of you who DO remember comment on whether or not the series maintained the humor and writing quality in it's last three seasons...5, 6, 7. Or was there a decline in quality/humor with the MTM show, post Rhoda as there was with the Andy Griffith Show, post Barney Fife? I stopped collecting the Andy Griffith Show after the 5th season because the show wasn't the same for me without Barney. It was likeable, but not anything that I'd want to own so that I could rewatch it over and over.

I'm hoping that isn't the case with the later seasons of MTM, and welcome all perspectives on the final seasons.


I rushed out and bought the first season as soon as it came out, and although I love the show, I realized it was the later seasons I remembered so fondly, and at this point am deciding is it late enough to resume purchasing the rest of the series. Can't pinpoint any episodes in particular, just that Sue Ann more than made up for Rhoda & Phyllis' absence, and the show got better and better with time.

#13 of 15 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

    Second Unit

  • 260 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 20 2005

Posted August 26 2006 - 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdStageNavigator
I realized it was the later seasons I remembered so fondly, and at this point am deciding is it late enough to resume purchasing the rest of the series.

I had the same reaction to season one, but I've bought all four seasons released so far. To me, the show starts hitting its stride in the middle of season three. I'm now enjoying season four immensely. Since you may be of like mind, I wouldn't miss season four, but I'd suggest you get season three, too, because half of them are gems. (I wouldn't part with season two, either, but that's because I enjoy seeing the show's growth. I will admit season two is more hit and miss than I'd remembered.)

#14 of 15 pitchman

pitchman

    Screenwriter

  • 1,829 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 11 1998
  • Real Name:Gary
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted August 27 2006 - 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*SC
I had the same reaction to season one, but I've bought all four seasons released so far. To me, the show starts hitting its stride in the middle of season three. I'm now enjoying season four immensely. Since you may be of like mind, I wouldn't miss season four, but I'd suggest you get season three, too, because half of them are gems. (I wouldn't part with season two, either, but that's because I enjoy seeing the show's growth. I will admit season two is more hit and miss than I'd remembered.)
I agree. There is a turning point somewhere in season three where this show really takes off and transcends from a standard sitcom to a televison classic. And, although Phyllis and Rhoda are gone by season five, there is no noticeable downturn in quality. Expanding the role of the Sue Ann Nivens character was a brilliant idea by the creators and Betty White turns in some of her most inspired work in these episodes. There is much to look forward to in the later seasons including Sue Ann's bedroom, more lousy parties at Mary's house, etc., etc.
Gary

#15 of 15 JohnMor

JohnMor

    Producer

  • 3,068 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2004
  • Real Name:John Moreland
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 27 2006 - 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman
Expanding the role of the Sue Ann Nivens character was a brilliant idea by the creators and Betty White turns in some of her most inspired work in these episodes.

One of my fave exchanges:

MARY: Sue Ann, did you crash the men's room??!

SUE ANN: Of course not!! (Pause.) I went as somebody's guest!


Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow