What's new

ADDAMS FAMILY: Volume I (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Excellent! With THE ADDAMS FAMILY and THE WILD WILD WEST making their legit R1 DVD debuts this year, that's 2 of my top 3 most-wanted MIA TV series on DVD, leaving only THE FUGITIVE (Paramount) yet to be tackled from that group.
Of course, this news now bumps Boris Karloff's THRILLER (Universal) and M SQUAD (Universal) into the new #2 and #3 most-wanted slots, respectively. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Charles H said:
According to DVD Empire, THE ADDAMS FAMILY (Volume 1) is coming to DVD on 11/24.
..Still wish we could've got a complete 1st season. Paramount sells a 39 half hour season of Have gun Will Travel for a $49.99 retail. I Dream of Jeannie runs 31 episodes for $39.99, Leave it to Beaver 39 shows for $49.99 retail. So They could'nt squeeze in 14 more shows?

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Good! This is a show that deserves a release on DVD. As much as I loved the movies with Raul Julia (RIP :frowning: ) as Gomez, my favorite remains John Astin with his wild eyed, "Tish, that's FRENCH!" kissing frenzies.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I never saw the movie releases. I'm ready for this set big-time.
My fav line from the series is
"The mail's in. Why, Thank You, 'Thing'" :eek:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the rant but I HATE when they split seasons up into "Volumes...

They make more $$ this way and it's a hassle.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
And I don't think they need to do it here, Bewitched had 38 episodes and Leave it to Beaver had 39 and those sets were released as a full season for a reasonable price.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Dave Scarpa said:
And I don't think they need to do it here, Bewitched had 38 episodes and Leave it to Beaver had 39 and those sets were released as a full season for a reasonable price.
But neither of those were done by Fox.
Look at the package and you can see Fox is unsure of the product. They're using DVD-10s to save money (something they do when they're unsure of a set), and they broke it into volumes to keep the SRP down, and make retailers happy (retailers prefer lower price points).
Gord

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
well why is Fox the only studio that does this when they are unsure. Was Sony Sure they would sell more seasons of I Dream of Jeannie? Was Fox itself Unsure when thy released Season 1 30 hours of The Big Valley? The Did'nt split that up into 2 sets. I definately think there are motivations behind these decisions, I'm not sure those motivations are uncertaintly of sales.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There are times when Volumes make sense. In my opinion, this isn't one of them. Even at 39 episodes, half hour sitcoms can, and have, been released in complete season formats.
Fox is well aware that this is a "cult" show that will sell reasonably well. It is only 2 seasons long so they simply stretched out the releases from 2 sets to 3 to get an extra "season's" worth of sales.
Were this an hour show, I can see going the split season route due to the high episode count, but in my view this is simply milking the property for all its worth. Fox has to be reasonably sure of this product or they wouldn't be releasing it. They aren't dummies. They've undoubtedly done some market research to test the viability of this product.
Having said that, from a business perspective, I can't really fault Fox for wanting maximize their profits on this.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O said:
There are times when Volumes make sense. In my opinion, this isn't one of them. Even at 39 episodes, half hour sitcoms can, and have, been released in complete season formats.
Fox is well aware that this is a "cult" show that will sell reasonably well. It is only 2 seasons long so they simply stretched out the releases from 2 sets to 3 to get an extra "season's" worth of sales.
Were this an hour show, I can see going the split season route due to the high episode count, but in my view this is simply milking the property for all its worth. Fox has to be reasonably sure of this product or they wouldn't be releasing it. They aren't dummies. They've undoubtedly done some market research to test the viability of this product.
Having said that, from a business perspective, I can't really fault Fox for wanting maximize their profits on this.
Keep in mind this project wasn't started at Fox. The majority of the work was done at Sony when they controlled the MGM library. Who knows....maybe Fox isn't even responsible for making it into volumes.
Gord

Mick Tees

Second Unit
This is a no-brainer... you talk about classic TV. This series will look really good right next to The Munsters on my shelf of TV Shows On DVD.

I'm just glad they're finally releasing it.... whew!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Mick Tees said:
This is a no-brainer... you talk about classic TV. I'm just glad they're finally releasing it.... whew!
You said it. As "Thing" would say, :emoji_thumbsup:
Cousin "IT" chiming in.... yueioughhhhhhhh :eek:
They’re creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They’re all together ooky,
The Addams Family.
Their house is a museum.
When people come to see 'em
They really are a screa-um.
The Addams Family.
So get a witch's shawl on.
A broomstick you can crawl on.
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
It's about time that The Addams Family finally comes to DVD. This is one of my most favorite classic shows ever created.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
TSoD just posted the big artwork for Vol. 1
htf_imgcache_644.jpeg

I think it's spooktacular though I think the font could be better...they should've just used what was used on the TV series...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Very dissapointing about the split season. looks like Fox is really milking this release. It made sense to split Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel because those were 32 hour long episodes but doing the same thing with 39 half hour episodes does not make sense and smells of corporate greed.

I'll Pass.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Randy Korstick said:
Very dissapointing about the split season. looks like Fox is really milking this release. It made sense to split Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel because those were 32 hour long episodes but doing the same thing with 39 half hour episodes does not make sense and smells of corporate greed.
I'll Pass.
It's still not as bad as HBO that spreads 12 hour-long episodes across 6 discs and charges $100 for the set.
BBC Home Video is also a huge offender in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks