ADDAMS FAMILY: Volume I

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 05:44 AM

According to DVD Empire, THE ADDAMS FAMILY (Volume 1) is coming to DVD on 11/24.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 73 LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 04:42 PM

Yay! It's about time!

#3 of 73 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 02:19 AM

I'm definately picking up this one ... been waiting for this release for a very long time.

#4 of 73 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 04:16 AM

Excellent! With THE ADDAMS FAMILY and THE WILD WILD WEST making their legit R1 DVD debuts this year, that's 2 of my top 3 most-wanted MIA TV series on DVD, leaving only THE FUGITIVE (Paramount) yet to be tackled from that group.

Of course, this news now bumps Boris Karloff's THRILLER (Universal) and M SQUAD (Universal) into the new #2 and #3 most-wanted slots, respectively. Posted Image

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#5 of 73 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
According to DVD Empire, THE ADDAMS FAMILY (Volume 1) is coming to DVD on 11/24.
..Still wish we could've got a complete 1st season. Paramount sells a 39 half hour season of Have gun Will Travel for a $49.99 retail. I Dream of Jeannie runs 31 episodes for $39.99, Leave it to Beaver 39 shows for $49.99 retail. So They could'nt squeeze in 14 more shows?
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#6 of 73 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H

It's actually 10/24, not 11/24.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#7 of 73 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 10:25 PM

Good! This is a show that deserves a release on DVD. As much as I loved the movies with Raul Julia (RIP Posted Image ) as Gomez, my favorite remains John Astin with his wild eyed, "Tish, that's FRENCH!" kissing frenzies.
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#8 of 73 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 16 2006 - 03:55 AM

I never saw the movie releases. I'm ready for this set big-time.

My fav line from the series is

"The mail's in. Why, Thank You, 'Thing'" Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#9 of 73 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 05:02 AM

Sorry for the rant but I HATE when they split seasons up into "Volumes...
They make more $$ this way and it's a hassle.

#10 of 73 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 05:37 AM

And I don't think they need to do it here, Bewitched had 38 episodes and Leave it to Beaver had 39 and those sets were released as a full season for a reasonable price.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#11 of 73 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
And I don't think they need to do it here, Bewitched had 38 episodes and Leave it to Beaver had 39 and those sets were released as a full season for a reasonable price.

But neither of those were done by Fox.

Look at the package and you can see Fox is unsure of the product. They're using DVD-10s to save money (something they do when they're unsure of a set), and they broke it into volumes to keep the SRP down, and make retailers happy (retailers prefer lower price points).

Gord

#12 of 73 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 07:26 AM

well why is Fox the only studio that does this when they are unsure. Was Sony Sure they would sell more seasons of I Dream of Jeannie? Was Fox itself Unsure when thy released Season 1 30 hours of The Big Valley? The Did'nt split that up into 2 sets. I definately think there are motivations behind these decisions, I'm not sure those motivations are uncertaintly of sales.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#13 of 73 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 01:59 PM

There are times when Volumes make sense. In my opinion, this isn't one of them. Even at 39 episodes, half hour sitcoms can, and have, been released in complete season formats.

Fox is well aware that this is a "cult" show that will sell reasonably well. It is only 2 seasons long so they simply stretched out the releases from 2 sets to 3 to get an extra "season's" worth of sales.

Were this an hour show, I can see going the split season route due to the high episode count, but in my view this is simply milking the property for all its worth. Fox has to be reasonably sure of this product or they wouldn't be releasing it. They aren't dummies. They've undoubtedly done some market research to test the viability of this product.

Having said that, from a business perspective, I can't really fault Fox for wanting maximize their profits on this.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#14 of 73 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
There are times when Volumes make sense. In my opinion, this isn't one of them. Even at 39 episodes, half hour sitcoms can, and have, been released in complete season formats.

Fox is well aware that this is a "cult" show that will sell reasonably well. It is only 2 seasons long so they simply stretched out the releases from 2 sets to 3 to get an extra "season's" worth of sales.

Were this an hour show, I can see going the split season route due to the high episode count, but in my view this is simply milking the property for all its worth. Fox has to be reasonably sure of this product or they wouldn't be releasing it. They aren't dummies. They've undoubtedly done some market research to test the viability of this product.

Having said that, from a business perspective, I can't really fault Fox for wanting maximize their profits on this.

Keep in mind this project wasn't started at Fox. The majority of the work was done at Sony when they controlled the MGM library. Who knows....maybe Fox isn't even responsible for making it into volumes.

Gord

#15 of 73 Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:51 AM

This is a no-brainer... you talk about classic TV. This series will look really good right next to The Munsters on my shelf of TV Shows On DVD.

I'm just glad they're finally releasing it.... whew!

#16 of 73 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 20 2006 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tees
This is a no-brainer... you talk about classic TV. I'm just glad they're finally releasing it.... whew!

You said it. As "Thing" would say, Posted Image

Cousin "IT" chiming in.... yueioughhhhhhhh Posted Image

They’re creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They’re all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum.
When people come to see 'em
They really are a screa-um.
The Addams Family.

So get a witch's shawl on.
A broomstick you can crawl on.
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#17 of 73 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 11:37 AM

It's about time that The Addams Family finally comes to DVD. This is one of my most favorite classic shows ever created.

#18 of 73 David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 05:52 AM

TSoD just posted the big artwork for Vol. 1

Posted Image

I think it's spooktacular though I think the font could be better...they should've just used what was used on the TV series...

#19 of 73 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,390 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 09:23 AM

Very dissapointing about the split season. looks like Fox is really milking this release. It made sense to split Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel because those were 32 hour long episodes but doing the same thing with 39 half hour episodes does not make sense and smells of corporate greed.
I'll Pass.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#20 of 73 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted August 25 2006 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
Very dissapointing about the split season. looks like Fox is really milking this release. It made sense to split Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel because those were 32 hour long episodes but doing the same thing with 39 half hour episodes does not make sense and smells of corporate greed.
I'll Pass.
It's still not as bad as HBO that spreads 12 hour-long episodes across 6 discs and charges $100 for the set.

BBC Home Video is also a huge offender in this area.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow