-

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Zone - The COMPLETE Definitive Collection (28-Disc Set)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#41 of 108 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,776 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 04 2006 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzo
Do you think this set will be available at amazon.com? I tried emailing them and got a standard 'we can't answer that' reply. It's up at amazon.ca and most other major online stores, but amazon.com is preferred for me.
For some reason Amazon doesn't stock the Combat! series set (also released by Image) so it kinda looks like they aren't going to carry the TZ one.

#42 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted September 10 2006 - 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
For some reason Amazon doesn't stock the Combat! series set (also released by Image) so it kinda looks like they aren't going to carry the TZ one.

Looks like they are .....
http://www.amazon.co....?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

#43 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 07:51 AM

Just received my shipping confirmation from Overstock.com today. Really stoked. Haven't seen most of these since I was a kid. Only time I was ever able to catch a few episodes was when they would run the Marathons, and usually didn't have time even then.

#44 of 108 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 05:31 PM

My copy is scheduled to arrive on Monday.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#45 of 108 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 11:36 PM

South Park and Family Guy are both crap. And why are they being discussed in a true television classic (TWILIGHT ZONE) topic?

#46 of 108 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 01:59 AM

You've been a member how long? You can't tell that it is his signature? It's going to show up whenever he posts in a thread.

#47 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
South Park and Family Guy are both crap. And why are they being discussed in a true television classic (TWILIGHT ZONE) topic?

a classic Twilight Zone episode just sprang to mind. Crap is in the "Eye of the Beholder"

#48 of 108 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 05:23 PM

Got mine today. Just in case anyone was wondering how it's packaged:

Posted Image

It's just the 5 earlier releases in a larger box. Nothing too exciting (though I am excited to watch the entire series)
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#49 of 108 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 05:40 PM

No, those aren't the same slipcases from the individual season sets... the spines are different (not to mention way cooler looking... damn it!).

#50 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
No, those aren't the same slipcases from the individual season sets... the spines are different (not to mention way cooler looking... damn it!).

Craig, they may look cooler, but in another forum the guys are trashing the packaging. They aren't in slipcases. Apparently, each season comes in one of those book-style - jewel trays where they're attached to the spine by tape. One person says his are falling apart already.

How did you make out with yours Bill? As Craig said, they LOOK cool. What's your experience?

#51 of 108 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 06:22 AM

Quote:
How did you make out with yours Bill? As Craig said, they LOOK cool. What's your experience?

Mine is fine except one of the trays wasn't glued to the packaging.

It looks like an easy fix, the glue is there on the plastic tray and you can see the line "guide" where it was supposed to attach but they never connected.

I don't know where my hot glue gun is offhand but when I find it it looks to be something that will pose absolutely no problem. If the glue had attached and torn the package the obsessed/anal part of me would have freaked but the package itself is intact, it just wasn't properly assembled.

I also thought I might even be able to warm the existing glue on the plastic tray with a hair dryer and attach it to the cardboard that way.

#52 of 108 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 05:30 PM

When you say "jewel trays", is the packaging of this new Twilight Zone re-release similar to the NOWHERE MAN disc case? That's my favorite kind of DVD packaging.

Well, it doesn't matter to me because the 2005 Definitive Collections I purchased are all this Twilight Zone fan needs. There's no reason to buy it again. Posted Image

#53 of 108 JerryK

JerryK

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 11:59 AM

I received my TZ-Complete Definitive Collection today from Amazon. I also had a few seasons that each had one loose or unglued plastic tray. They're going to send a replacement set but if it I have the same problems I'm just going get a little super glue and affix it back to the paper case. I personally liked the slimline cases I had when I originally purchased the 5 Collections a few years ago but I felt the need to double-dip considering these are remastered, in chronological order and it's way cheaper than if I had bought the Definitive Seasons separately. I'm guessing the individual Defnitive Seasons also came with slimline cases like the original Collections, so I'm assuming the different cases were either done to save money or just to be different but it doesn't seem like quality glue was used, lol.

#54 of 108 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 12:28 PM

Can someone post a picture of the packaging opened up, perhaps with a light turned on in the room. Posted Image

I'm assuming these "fold" open book style, as someone mentioned... and there are plastic trays attached to each cardboard flap?

Do the discs overlap?

Is the packaging cheaper than the slim cases?

I think I'd rather buy the seasons individually if these sets are going to fall apart...

Also, I take it the companion book was not included, right?

#55 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 01:08 PM

My set's in the mail at the moment and from what I've read so far, it's going to need repackaging. So I'm putting them all into 15 double slimline cases, 3 per season. Yeah, I know 2 seasons are 5 disc sets. I'm doing this for uniformity. I've used Ric Easton's Cover designs and just did a custom spine for a slimline size case. Each season has a different cover design, below is just one example. It's a shame Image didn't give this the packaging a classic deserves.

Modified Ric Easton Cover
Posted Image

#56 of 108 John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 04:07 AM

Hmmmm dodgy packaging, eh? I knew there'd be a price to pay for being able to get these so cheap :-(

I'm actually tempted to stick it out with the separate season sets now (I already have season 1 but figured it was still cheaper to buy that again in the uber-set than to buy the remaining 4 sets)

Any more problems with these?

John

#57 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Ross
Hmmmm dodgy packaging, eh? I knew there'd be a price to pay for being able to get these so cheap :-(

I'm actually tempted to stick it out with the separate season sets now (I already have season 1 but figured it was still cheaper to buy that again in the uber-set than to buy the remaining 4 sets)

Any more problems with these?

John

John, my set was waiting for me when I got home from CompUSA picking up some extra double-slimline cases for this set. Glad I did. As others have experienced, 2 of the seasons had trays that just fell out when opened. DVD's all look good though. Tried re-attaching them with Super Glue Gel which works on most things. Not this, after opening twice, tray just fell out again. I'd be really pissed if I ever planned on trying to resell these, but I don't. I'm sure Image is going to get a lot of emails on this and they should offer alternate packaging.

#58 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
Can someone post a picture of the packaging opened up, perhaps with a light turned on in the room. Posted Image

I'm assuming these "fold" open book style, as someone mentioned... and there are plastic trays attached to each cardboard flap?

Do the discs overlap?

Is the packaging cheaper than the slim cases?

I think I'd rather buy the seasons individually if these sets are going to fall apart...

Also, I take it the companion book was not included, right?

Your exactly right, they open book-style with 4-5 trays glued to the cardboard spine which is the problem. You open the book and the spine starts to crack like a book.

The discs do not overlap.

Packaging must be cheaper considering what's going on. I would actually like the packaging if it stayed together.

If you got the bucks, I'd go for the individual releases. I don't, so i repackaged mine as I've said in other posts.

#59 of 108 honestjohn

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryK
I received my TZ-Complete Definitive Collection today from Amazon. I also had a few seasons that each had one loose or unglued plastic tray. They're going to send a replacement set but if it I have the same problems I'm just going get a little super glue and affix it back to the paper case. I personally liked the slimline cases I had when I originally purchased the 5 Collections a few years ago but I felt the need to double-dip considering these are remastered, in chronological order and it's way cheaper than if I had bought the Definitive Seasons separately. I'm guessing the individual Defnitive Seasons also came with slimline cases like the original Collections, so I'm assuming the different cases were either done to save money or just to be different but it doesn't seem like quality glue was used, lol.

Tried using a super Super Glue Gel that's works on all the kids toys. Didn't work on my toy. After cracking the spine a few times, it fell out again. Part of the card casing was also ripped from the tray coming out.

#60 of 108 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,776 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 05 2006 - 09:15 AM

Use a hot glue gun and it'll probably stay together.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow