What's new

Projector ownership survey (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
hi everyone,

I was wondering, what type of projector people on the HTF owned and why they decided to go with the model and brand that they have?
My second question is, what projector are you looking to get in the future (whether you are upgrading from a current model, owning your first or have it on your wish list)?

I am opening a B&M Audio and Video retail store in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and am in the process of ordering my merchandise, but I am having trouble deciding what projectors I should have in my store. Your help will be greatly appriciated!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I own the Infocus X1, which is also my first projector. I bought it because of the price and the popularity of it. I'm going to upgrade probably in the next 6 months to a 720p projector, probably the Infocus IN76.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I have had the Sanyo Z1 for over 3.5 years. Will upgrade to a an lcd 1080 projector whenever they are at the right price point.

Still love my Z1 BTW.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My current projector is the DLP-based Infocus SP4805. This projector replaced my Infocus X1 about 18 months ago. Although a 480p native resolution projector, the black level on this thing is so good that it makes the reduction in resolution from HD sources seem tolerable. The included 4x speed, 6 segment, color wheel provides for better color saturation while simultaneously vastly reducing the "rainbow effect" that some people could detect on the older X1. Overall, the projector provides a very balanced picture that IMO is superior to many 720p LCD projectors.

Infocus has already replaced this projector with the "Play Big" IN72 which is housed in a sexier looking case and provides for even better contrast ratio and color wheel specifications. Initial reviews of the IN72 indicate that while it does a great job with DVD, HD-DVD and HD cable don't seem to look much better on it. That's surprising to me since my 4805 does seem to make HD-DVD and HD cable look better than standard DVD.

In any event, my next projector (which I intend to purchase around July 2007) will probably be the DLP-based Infocus "Play Big" IN76, which is a 720p native resolution projector. I just really like the picture I get with DLP technology.

I'm also thinking about some day acquiring one of those new 1080p 3 LED-powered DLP RPTV sets. With that kind of set you get the benefits of DLP without the color wheel or even a lamp! (Now if we could just get it in the 96" screen size that I've grown accustomed to ...)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have the Pansonic PT-L500U and Sanyo PLV-Z3 720p LCD projectors. No intention of upgrading until broken or I can't get replacement bulbs, I am happy with both. I now am finally completing the home theater in my girl friend's house and boy do I hope she likes what used to be her formal living room, but now has lamp oil (dark brown) walls and is cluttered with a bunch of junk to her eyes. Ambient light is the enemy of my modest projectors but I have no other problem with 720p LCD. One screen is 77" and one is 90".

Chris

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, this won't help your decision at all likely, but I use two CRT projectors, one a Barco G808 (Runco 992Ultra), and the other a Marquee 8500 (aka Madrigal mp8/Vidikron vision2).

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
These have been all very helpful. I noticed that alot of people on the HTF own an InFocus or Sanyo projector. I will definitely try to get them in my store. Please continue posting your projectors and/or future purchases! :)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I upgraded from the Infocus X1 to the IN76 a few months ago and would have to say it is a stunning difference. I loved my X1 and wondered how something could look better with HD until I fired up my IN76. Colors absolutely pop off the screen with multiple shades of black that give the picture an almost 3 dimensional look. Also, if you are sensitive, rainbow effect has been all but eliminated with the IN76. I will upgrade when DLP comes out with 1080p or SED is available, which will probably take some time. Good luck with your search and other popular brands are panasonic, benq, epson, toshiba, etc.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Thank you :). All those popular brands are available to me, but I noticed one thing, "bigger is not better". Sometimes it's the brands you don't always hear about, that come out with excellent performing products.

Stevecatch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Catch
The Panasonic AE900U is wildly popular, but there are rumors of it being replaced after CEDIA next month, and that projector will be even more wildly popular. BenQ's PE7700 is also highly adored now that they fixed the bulb issue that it had at it's initial launch.

With CEDIA being next month, you might want to wait and stock what's hot and new, rather than what was hot yesterday, though. This is one of the most highly anticipated CEDIAs because of the promise of low-cost 1080p front projectors which will of course be complemented by HD-DVD and Blu-Ray this year.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I have the Panasonic AE300, bought in 2003 because of its low noise and (then) good picture; it replaced a Sony X600. I plan to upgrade in 2007 or 2008, depending on when the first good 1080p Projector is available for under 3000 Euro. I am looking forward to the upcoming Sony VW50 (Pearl) and Mitsubishi HC5000 1080p-Projectors which may come already close to my goal.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've a Panasonic PT-LC75U at home, back when the AE100 was brand new. (3-LCD, XGA.)

Back then, those were pretty much the only affordable projectors on the market - the explosion happened right after that.

Right now, today, if I were to upgrade (with my own money) I'd get the AE900 - I can't afford 3-chip DLP, and the good D-ILA projectors are expensive (JVC's 1080p units.)

Leo

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
1- Sony 11HT
2- because of the resolution and the success of the 10HT at the time
3- Nothing less than a true HD 1920x1080 projector

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I owned for a couple of years, the Panasonic PTL-300u. A fine projector indeed. Like many here, I am waiting for CEDIA to see what's down the pike....:)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I've got a Sanyo Z2.

So when is your store opening and where is it? I'm in Toronto and I'd love to stop by and check it out. Besides projector brands, what other brands are you planning to carry in terms of receivers and speakers?

Chris

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Harminder, if you are planning to open and a/v store, you should be attending CEDIA and seeing for yourself whats coming and what will make the biggest splashes- Not to mention, the ability to network with other dealers and pros and get their thoughts as well.

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought an Optoma HD72 this week.
This is my first projector ever, replacing a 36" Toshiba CRT HDTV from 5 years ago. My father has a Infoucs 4850, which got me interested in the idea of a projector. I was going to go with a 40-46" Samsung 1080p LCD, but for half the price I decided I could go with a 92" screen and be happy until 1080p prices go down and more 1080p video sources are available.

Reasons for choosing this model:
720p DLP
Brightest in my price range
$300 rebate and a free bulb
2 digital inputs (HDMI and DVI)
Good contrast ratio, great colors and blacks

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Congrats Jason! I'm jealous
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks