Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mission: Impossible III on HD DVD and Blu-ray on October 30th


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 of 100 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,507 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted August 11 2006 - 04:56 AM

I found this on HTF's front page

http://www.homemedia....rticle_ID=9516
(Sorry about the annoying Ice Age add)

So the DVD, HD DVD, and BD will all be released on the same day (10/30).

I didn't see this in the theater, so I'm looking forward to catching it on HD DVD. I liked ALIAS and enjoyed the first two MI's to various degrees. So this is cool news.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#2 of 100 Cory S.

Cory S.

    Supporting Actor

  • 983 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 07 2004

Posted August 11 2006 - 05:07 AM

Best Mission film, eventhough I love Mission I to death.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#3 of 100 TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul

  • 21,488 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 11 2006 - 05:09 AM

Mission: Impossible III is pretty much a massive episode of Alias (and I mean that in a positive way) so if you dig Alias, you'll probably be into M:I III.

#4 of 100 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,507 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted August 11 2006 - 05:34 AM

It looks like the two releases will be pretty identical for both formats (at least based on this info). The biggest exception being that the HD DVD will have the in-movie-experience and the BD will not.

I'd be willing to bet that they will both feature the same video transfer in VC-1.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#5 of 100 Matt Thompson

Matt Thompson

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 183 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 23 2004

Posted August 11 2006 - 05:59 AM

http://www.highdefdi....Format_Bow/170

It looks like both hi-def discs will feature the same core features, whereas the enhanced video commentary is exclusive to HD DVD.

#6 of 100 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

    Second Unit

  • 284 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 10 2006

Posted August 11 2006 - 09:31 AM

I wish Paramount would hold back on the Blu-Ray release and help expedite the consumer move to HD DVD

#7 of 100 Harminder

Harminder

    Second Unit

  • 462 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2003

Posted August 11 2006 - 10:28 AM

Is the "in movie experience" exclusive to HD-DVD period, or does Blu-Ray have something similar lined up as well using BD-J?

#8 of 100 Yumbo

Yumbo

    Screenwriter

  • 2,243 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 13 1999

Posted August 11 2006 - 11:46 AM

The most exciting news is the PRICE!

$29.99 HD/BD
$24.99 DVD SE
$19.99 DVD

Exactly what I proposed earlier to make the new formats fly.
This will also solve the "should I buy the DVD now or wait for HD" question.

Someone in Paramount should be promoted!

All other studios should follow suit.
Enough with the combo discs, which look like pirate DVD-Rs!

No region coding either! Importing is a premium in any case.

#9 of 100 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,507 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted August 11 2006 - 01:13 PM

Quote:
Is the "in movie experience" exclusive to HD-DVD period, or does Blu-Ray have something similar lined up as well using BD-J?

As I understand it, the Samsung BD player can only handle the "lowest level" of BD-J which can't do PiP (picture in picture). I'm not sure if this limitation will be there on the upcoming Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic players or if they are supposed to have the next BD-J level which can handle PiP. I wouldn't think that these would be limited in such a way because that would be nuts considering the price (and importance for BD to show that it can offer what HD DVD can offer). But I'm really not sure.

Anyway, I believe that this kind of feature can and will eventually be used for BD as well. But I don't think it is likely to be used very soon. Also, since most BDs are expected to be single layer (25GB) for a while, it would be a tighter fit. But BD should eventually have this kind of stuff as well (and if/when they get dual layer discs with VC-1 or AVC to be standard, this kind of stuff [plus other interactive stuff] should be the norm for new releases).
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#10 of 100 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

    Producer

  • 5,561 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 20 2000

Posted August 11 2006 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH
I wish Paramount would hold back on the Blu-Ray release and help expedite the consumer move to HD DVD

What consumer movement? A few enthusiasts on a couple of internet boards does not constitute a movement towards one format or another. Right now, judging by the complete lack of promotion of either format, there seems to be very little movement towards any hi-def format by the mass consumer market. Paramount withholding titles from BD release would have no appreciable effect on the adoption of one format over the other, because average consumers do not seem to be buying anything.....HD-DVD or BD.

Edit:
Right after posting the comments I decided that most of it was the wrong venue since this is a thread about M.I:III being released on both formats. Please excuse me. I have deleted the bulk of the post.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#11 of 100 Harminder

Harminder

    Second Unit

  • 462 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2003

Posted August 11 2006 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan
As I understand it, the Samsung BD player can only handle the "lowest level" of BD-J which can't do PiP (picture in picture). I'm not sure if this limitation will be there on the upcoming Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic players or if they are supposed to have the next BD-J level which can handle PiP. I wouldn't think that these would be limited in such a way because that would be nuts considering the price (and importance for BD to show that it can offer what HD DVD can offer). But I'm really not sure.

Anyway, I believe that this kind of feature can and will eventually be used for BD as well. But I don't think it is likely to be used very soon. Also, since most BDs are expected to be single layer (25GB) for a while, it would be a tighter fit. But BD should eventually have this kind of stuff as well (and if/when they get dual layer discs with VC-1 or AVC to be standard, this kind of stuff [plus other interactive stuff] should be the norm for new releases).

Thanks for the answer Sean. Posted Image

The reason I asked is because I just think that the PiP special feature might have been left out of the BD version M:i 3 because of lack of disc space due to the use of MPEG2. Had VC1 been used, the PiP feature might have been included as well. However, I could be totally wrong, maybe it is the BD player issue. I'm just thinking out loud.

#12 of 100 RobertDW

RobertDW

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 156 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 09 2006

Posted August 11 2006 - 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harminder
Thanks for the answer Sean. Posted Image


The reason I asked is because I just think that the PiP special feature might have been left out of the BD version M:i 3 because of lack of disc space due to the use of MPEG2. Had VC1 been used, the PiP feature might have been included as well. However, I could be totally wrong, maybe it is the BD player issue. I'm just thinking out loud.

http://www.avsforum.....&

"BD added things like Picture in Picture too late to their spec for it to be incorporated into their players. Without Picture in Picture, one says goodbye to IME. Anyone who buys a Samsung and ever wants to watch such features, would by definition have to buy another player, and waste $1,000. Same may also be true of the rest of the BD 1G players.

There is also the space issue in BD-25 depending on how much data the main feature takes but per above, this is secondary right now."

#13 of 100 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,175 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 11 2006 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDW
http://www.avsforum.....&

"BD added things like Picture in Picture too late to their spec for it to be incorporated into their players. Without Picture in Picture, one says goodbye to IME. Anyone who buys a Samsung and ever wants to watch such features, would by definition have to buy another player, and waste $1,000. Same may also be true of the rest of the BD 1G players.

There is also the space issue in BD-25 depending on how much data the main feature takes but per above, this is secondary right now."
The HD 1G players have their shortcomings too. Luckily, though I have both formats I'm expecting to upgrade these 1G players within a couple of years anyway.

Also, is that MI3 release date wrong, since, October 30th is a Monday? I updated our listing release schedule, but used the October 31 date for MI3 until I find out exactly what is the correct release date.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#14 of 100 Harminder

Harminder

    Second Unit

  • 462 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2003

Posted August 11 2006 - 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Also, is that MI3 release date wrong, since, October 30th is a Monday? I updated our listing release schedule, but used the October 31 date for MI3 until I find out exactly what is the correct release date.

It's not a misprint, the date is correct. It's being called a "Mission: Monday" release. Go figure LOL. Posted Image

#15 of 100 Ron-P

Ron-P

    Producer

  • 6,283 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 25 2000
  • Real Name:Ron

Posted August 11 2006 - 08:06 PM

Quote:
The most exciting news is the PRICE!

$29.99 HD/BD
$24.99 DVD SE
$19.99 DVD
How is this exciting? It's standard dvd pricing.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!


#16 of 100 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,175 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 11 2006 - 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harminder
It's not a misprint, the date is correct. It's being called a "Mission: Monday" release. Go figure LOL. Posted Image
Well, IMO that sounds silly, but what do I know, I'm just a consumer?




Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#17 of 100 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,507 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted August 12 2006 - 01:20 PM

Do you think they are releasing it on Monday because Tuesday is Halloween?

Odd if so, because I can't see how it being Halloween would be relevant to most people who would be buying the disc that day anyway.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#18 of 100 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,507 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted August 12 2006 - 01:37 PM

Another interesting thing:

This IS a two disc set.
http://dvd.themanroo...er.php?did=3268

Amir confirmed at AVS that it is two discs for HD DVD and BD.
http://www.avsforum.....&

He also stated that it was purely a marketing decision by Paramount and that it all could have gone on one disc if that was what Paramount chose to do.

Basically they went with a "Two discs sell better than one (even if it all fits on one)" strategy.

This type of marketing strategy is something that many of us have been aware of for a long time with SD DVD. However, I guess no one was sure if this would carry over to the High Def formats. Now it seems that at least Paramount is doing so.

If that is the case, then the space difference between the formats becomes even less relevant (whether you're looking at HD DVD 30 vs. BD 25 or HD DVD 30 vs BD 50)

Interesting.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#19 of 100 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,507 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted August 12 2006 - 01:53 PM

I suppose the next question is:

Are the extras on the second disc all in High Definition? If they are in standard definition, then the HD DVD second disc would probably be the single layer 15GB or even the "9GB version". Same with the BD. They probably wouldn't have any reason to use more than the BD9 if the extras for this second disc are Standard Def.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#20 of 100 Harminder

Harminder

    Second Unit

  • 462 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2003

Posted August 12 2006 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
This IS a two disc set.
Just wonderful. One big selling point for me when it came to hi-def DVD was for everything to be a on a single disc. I don't like this one bit.


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow