Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Riptide Season 1 - Canadian or US?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 12:03 AM

With the release of the Canadian Riptide season 1 set being imminent, I still can't make up my mind on which version to get. The big factors for me are: PQ, unedited versions, unaltered music. I know Sony's track record in these departments, but how's VEI's?

Which set is everyone else getting and why? Any decision making help would be greatly appreciated. Posted Image

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,332 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 10 2006 - 02:07 AM

I am torn, but I am leaning toward Canada using Hardcastle & McCormick as an example of a high quality product. I do not know of any special features on these except Canada will have a bonus episode of Street Justice. The first Hardcastle had a nice booklet with episode descriptions. If anyone can do a comparison between these or the Gimmie a Break's I would like to know.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,690 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 02:50 PM

I'll probably wait until somebody does a detailed comparison of both versions before I purchase this series. I have to admit though that Sony tends to do a crappy job in the PQ department for their less popular titles. VEI currently has the edge right now based on how Hardcastle & McCormick turned out.
Recently watched- Star Trek: Season 2, Zardoz, Royal Flash, Man Of Tai Chi, Inkheart, Ladyhawke, 47 Ronin: 3D, The Killer Elite, 3 Days To Kill, Pitch Black, The Amazing Spider-man 2: 3D, Khartoum, The Babadook, Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb, The Blue Max, Blade, Guardians Of The Galaxy 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 4, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz."

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted August 12 2006 - 05:48 PM

Can't wait for Riptide to come out in the US. tHAT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 01:40 AM

So, has anybody bought the Canadian set and can comment on the quality?

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 04:06 AM

I couldn't find it ANYWHERE Posted Image

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,332 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 29 2006 - 07:49 AM

I went ahead and imported the Canadian version of Riptide with Hardcastle & McCormick Season 2. I have only watched the double length pilot and the Street Justice bonus episode. Even though I have a really good TV memory, I have no recollection of this series but found it very fun to watch. I am no expert at these things but as for image it seems to be in as great of quality as one would expect from other 80's action series found on DVD such as Magnum, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard and Hardcastle & MCCormick, if not better. The only thing I found fuzzy were some long distance shots of flying vehicles over an ocean. This happened only for a few seconds and I believe that it was not with the main vehicles. I can not recall the running time of the pilot but I did check out an episode on disc 3 just to see the opening credit montage, the pilot was presented as a film in a ways without the opening, and this episode clocked in around abouts 49 minutes. I believe the Street Justice episode was about 45 minutes in length and looked well too. The set included a thick booklet with episode descriptions and character bios On the back of the booklet it said coming soon Hardcastle and McCormick Season 3, Street Justice Seasons 1 and 2, Cobra, and Stingray.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted August 31 2006 - 06:09 PM

Stingray? Hooray, can't wait for that one!

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,017 posts

Posted September 01 2006 - 05:47 AM

Cobra!! Sweet. I had transferred all of my slp vhs copies to dvd. Also, Vengeance Unlimited (Great show) had the same premise as Stingray Stingray info:

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Will_C

Will_C

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 03:38 AM

I'm really looking forward to Street Justice. Can't find any release info yet, but I'm thinking about going ahead and getting Riptide from Canada rather than the US to get the bonus SJ ep, it was one of my favorites back in '91-'92. Good to hear that there are plans for Stingray to be released.
Rick Hunter
USMC Force Recon Scout Sniper
"If you run, you'll only die tired."

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   coryE

coryE

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted September 18 2006 - 01:07 PM

Have any canadians seen this for sale? No store here has had this in stock, WM, FS or zellers. Would love to buy it locally but it's looking like I'll have to resort to Amazon. Cory

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,690 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 01:34 AM

The new Best Buy location at Dundas & Bay in Toronto has them. When I was there yesterday they had three sets of them on the racks in the TV on DVD section. The sticker price on them is $32.99 .
Recently watched- Star Trek: Season 2, Zardoz, Royal Flash, Man Of Tai Chi, Inkheart, Ladyhawke, 47 Ronin: 3D, The Killer Elite, 3 Days To Kill, Pitch Black, The Amazing Spider-man 2: 3D, Khartoum, The Babadook, Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb, The Blue Max, Blade, Guardians Of The Galaxy 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 4, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 10:01 PM

DVD Town has a review of the US set here.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,690 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 02:35 PM

According to the review, Sony's version has no extras.....no surprises there. Glad I picked up the VEI version. Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 02:46 PM

Are you sure the VEI version had any riptide extras itself ? i think it just had the bonus episode for the carl weathers series.

I have my order in for the SONY release... I have a feeling though that VEI will get season 2 and 3 out years before sony if ever releases Season 2. So i definately will be going the VEI route for the other seasons. I just preferred the box art on the sony release. You gotta have the "screaming mimi" on there!!! Posted Image

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,690 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 03:25 PM

There are no extras related to Riptide on the VEI set....Just the 'Street Justice' bonus episode. It's certainly better than nothing which is exactly what Sony is giving with their release......I do like their cover better though -The VEI one looks rather plain to me.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 03:29 PM

Ahh okay thanks, that is what i figured. Looking forward to seeing this again for the first time since it originally aired.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 03:43 PM

I haven't found Riptide in any stores yet here in the US.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 08:06 AM

I picked up this set a few weeks ago, and really loved it. I vaguely remembered enjoying it from my youth, so I picked it up and then devoured it. All three actors really blended well together with a true sense of friendship. Boz was a great character, plus the Roboz was hilarious. I didn't check the Amazon.com sales at the time it first came out, but right now the sales are poor. Anyone monitor how the sales went from Amazon? I know that isn't the only way to judge sales, but at least it is one indicator. I definitely will buy the next two seasons if they come out. Thanks JeffO
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 09:10 AM

I bought the US release of Riptide for S1 knowing sony probably would not continue releasing them, heck i am still waiting for more TJ Hooker from them. But no doubt in my mind VEI in canada will release the final two seasons. So no worry in being able to complete your Riptide collection!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users