What's new

HDA1 Upconversion via HDMI-DVI-RGB (1 Viewer)

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
I want to purchase a Toshiba HDA1 HDDVD player. However, I know that in order to view an upconverted standard DVD image to near HD quality, the HDMI output must be used. Unfortunately my projector does not have an HDMI, DVI, or component input. I've been using a component/RGB cable with my HD receiver and XBOX and it works just fine. I've found a DVI/RGB adapter online and, since HDMI and DVI are compatible, I'd purchase an HDMI/DVI cable as well. Voila! Problemsolved...or is it? To my non-technical mind this should work, but my brain has failed me many times in the past. Does anyone know if this would work? Or if there is a better/different solution? My thanks to anyone who can help.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I doubt the RGB adapter will work, because it's not HDCP compatible. From what I'm hearing, though, the new Toshiba will upconvert some DVDs over component cables -- not all, but some.

Oh, you don't have component? Hmm, high-def?

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
I can get high-def just fine using a breakout cable with RGB/VGA on one end and component on the other. The picture is great on both my XBOX and my HD receiver. That's why my mind says it should work. I'm not very familiar with HDCP compatibility, but how would these two sources differ from the HD-DVD player? Thanks for the help and the education.

BTW: When are the new Toshibas coming out? I hadn't heard about it.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I'm confused as to why you would want to display HD DVD on a 480p projector? It's unlikely that you will get any improvement in display over normal DVD. I would just connect a composite cable.

You may want to consider purchasing a projector that is capable of outputting 720p/1080i, and has component or DVI/HDMI inputs.

It will upconvert anything that is not copy protected. I am watching it via component since my 6-year-old Pioneer has only component inputs. If I insert a copy protected SC disc, I get a warning message followed by an automatic switchover to 480p.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Jimjum - the NEC LT240K has two component inputs that are capable of displaying full 720p/1080i You just need to purchase a Component Video to 15-Pin RGB Converter, and use one of the two RGB inputs.

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
Thanks Alon. I've been using a breakout cable for just that purpose. My main question is will I get the upconversion using a combination of an HDMI/DVI cable and a DVI/RGB adapter plug.

Toshiba says I can't, but if the DVD player is processing the upconvert, then sending it out the HDMI port and transmitting it through the HDMI/DVI cable, what would stop the signal from appearing in all its almost HD glory? Would something be lost within the DVI/RGB adaptor? An RGB port is capable of handling standard HD data, what would be different about the converted data?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Jimjum - I don't see any need to use a DVI/HDMI adapter - just use a RGB to Component cable and you will be able to take advantage of upconversion to 720p/1080i. This connection is far simpler if you are going analog -> analog, instead of digital -> analog.

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
Everything I've read said you can only get an upconverted image through the HDMI output and not the component.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Oy. On my other thread, I'm told I *will* get upconverted images through the component inputs, if the disk isn't copy-protected.

Doesn't anyone know the actual truth?

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba will output up to 1080i via component for HD DVD's. It will output up to 1080i via component for no-copy protected SD DVD's. It will only output 480p via component for copy protected SD DVD's

TedD

Supporting Actor
The truth is simple. If the DVD HAS Macrovision encoding, upscaling over analog outputs will NOT occur.

If the DVD does NOT have Macrovision encoding, upscaling over analog outputs WILL occur.

Ted

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
So the moral to the story here is---if one is comtemplating a purchase of a monitor it should have at least a DVI port if one is to enjoy the upconversion of this HD-A1? It's the safest way to go??? :)

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
My Yamaha LPX-500 front pj has DVI input, but it is not HDCP enabled. So will I get upconversion on macrovision-protected SD-DVDs using HDMI to DVI, or does my lack of HDCP kill the deal? This may be difficult to predict, so I'm wondering if anyone who has actually tried it can answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks