-

Photo

SPHE Press Release: The Three Stooges: Stooges on the Run

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,707 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 07:21 AM

The Three Stooges - Larry, Moe and Curly - Are Back at Their Bungling Best,
Digitally Restored and Better Than Ever

STOOGES ON THE RUN

Pop Goes the Easel, Disorder in the Court, Dizzy Doctors, and Calling All Curs
All Available On DVD October 3

Collection Arrives in “Color and B&W” with “ChromaChoice” Technology Allowing Viewers to Toggle Seamlessly Between the Original Black & White and Colorized Versions of the Films

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (July 24, 2006) – On October 3, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases Stooges on the Run, a slaphappy collection featuring The Three Stooges in comedy classics that have been restored from the original negative for the very best picture and audio quality. The immortal masters of mayhem – Larry, Moe and Curly – star in four short subjects -- Pop Goes the Easel, Disorder in the Court, Dizzy Doctors and Calling All Curs -- all from the ‘30s when the team was at their slapstick peak. The collection will be available as a single disc and priced at $24.95 SRP.

Larry Fine, along with brothers Moe and Curly Howard, signed a long-term contact with Columbia Pictures in 1934 and went on to star in 190 film short subjects over the next twenty three years, the longest series in film history. Their phenomenal popularity continues to this day.

These shorts have the added feature of the “Color+B&W” production process designed to increase the appeal of classic black & white films to a new generation of viewers. Each film was extensively researched in advance and exhaustive efforts were made to utilize as many original source elements as possible. The original black & white masters have been faithfully restored, then subsequently remastered in full 1080i hi-definition video for the highest picture quality. Finally, with the color design help of West Wing Studios, who referenced Columbia Pictures archives’ production items (props, cloth swatches, etc.), artists were able to achieve the highest level of historical accuracy in the images.

Stooges on the Loose also features “ChromaChoice,” which allows viewers to toggle between the original black & white and colorized version of the films in a seamless manner using the DVD remote.

Pop Goes the Easel (1935)
On the lam from the law, the Stooges flee to an artist’s studio where they are mistaken for students. While the police conduct their frantic search, the Stooges employ a variety of disguises and tactics to elude them, culminating in a wild clay-throwing fight.

Disorder in the Court (1936)
The Stooges are witnesses at the murder trial of their friend, a dancer at a nightclub where they are musicians. While the Stooges manage to disrupt the proceedings with their customary hilarity, they manage to save the day when they discover the real murderer's identity with the help of a talkative parrot.

Dizzy Doctors (1937)
The Stooges get a job selling “Brighto,” which they think is a cleaning fluid. After ruining a cop's uniform and a new car, they discover “Brighto” is actually medicine, so they take their sales pitch to a nearby hospital. Trouble and mayhem results when the owner of the car they ruined turns out to be the head of the hospital.

Calling All Curs (1938)
The Stooges run a pet hospital and get an important patient, Garcon, a wealthy woman’s poodle. When dognappers steal the animal, the boys find themselves in a tough spot. First they try to fool their client by disguising a mutt as the poodle. When that doesn't work, they use the mutt as a bloodhound to track down the crooks. Curly defeats the bad guys in a fight and the Stooges recover Garcon, only to discover that "he" has given birth to a litter of puppies.

DVD Special Features Include:
•Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
•Full Screen Presentations
•Color+B&W production process
•ChromaChoice
•Audio: English (stereo)
•Bonus Previews
•Closed Captioned

Stooges on the Run has a run time of approximately 70 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 16245
UPC Code: 0-43396-16245-7
Order Date: 8/31/06
SLP: $24.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 07 2006 - 07:31 AM

Finally, with the color design help of West Wing Studios, who referenced Columbia Pictures archives’ production items (props, cloth swatches, etc.), artists were able to achieve the highest level of historical accuracy in the images.

Not that I'm a fan of colorization, but it's interesting to note that they actually made an effort to reproduce the actual colors of the props and costumes.

I'll try to review this one.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 34 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 07:47 AM

Not that I'm a fan of colorization, but it's interesting to note that they actually made an effort to reproduce the actual colors of the props and costumes.

Unfortunately, as has been stated in other threads. These articles of clothing & props were colored and painted so that they looked good in B&W. There was no basis in reality, so all of the effort is really pointless.

I thought Sony was going to start releasing proper Stooge releases next year. Are they just going to continue to milk the cow with these piss-poor comps until the reisssues start?

It is interesting to see "Disorder in the Court" on this collection though. This is one of the episodes that has slipped in to the public domain. At least they're showing some effort of restoring these shorts too. I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time that this short has been released on a studio licensed video.

#4 of 34 Daniel Bakken

Daniel Bakken

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 08:08 PM

I thought the color ones were pretty well done for what they were. I'll pick this one up.

#5 of 34 Heathen

Heathen

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
I thought Sony was going to start releasing proper Stooge releases next year. Are they just going to continue to milk the cow with these piss-poor comps until the reisssues start?

I must have missed that... please tell me that you aren't pulling our legs... I would LOVE to have these released "properly". Do you have any link for more info?

TIA....

#6 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 08 2006 - 04:37 AM

I was told directly by my Sony contacts that they have big Stooges plans for the near future. There's a thread about it here on the Forum somewhere.

It is interesting to see "Disorder in the Court" on this collection though. This is one of the episodes that has slipped in to the public domain. At least they're showing some effort of restoring these shorts too. I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time that this short has been released on a studio licensed video.

That's a good point. I'm glad they've chosen to produce a good-quality edition of that title -- with all the PD editions out there, that speaks more of a desire to treat the material properly than to maximize sales.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 34 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,017 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
I was told directly by my Sony contacts that they have big Stooges plans for the near future. There's a thread about it here on the Forum somewhere.

I can't find that thread, but I can tell Heathen this much (which I found out on the newsgroup devoted to the Three Stooges):

Barrie Maxwell, in his "Classic Coming Attractions" column for The Digital Bits website, casually mentioned something which is very important and exciting for fans of the Three Stooges. Last June, he buried it in the middle of his announcement of "Hazel: The Complete First Season:"

"Sony will release Hazel: The Complete First Season on August 1st. From 1961, this is the first of five seasons of the popular sitcom starring Shirley Booth. This first offering contains all 35 episodes of the series' inaugural season on four discs. There are no supplements. Much further down the line but welcome news finally is Sony's plans to release a series of Three Stooges sets of sequential B&W shorts encompassing two-year periods. The first set would potentially appear in the summer or fall of 2007 and would include supplementary material. Could it be that there's finally someone in charge at Sony who knows what they're doing when it comes to classic material?"

Here's a link to the page containing that paragraph: http://www.thedigita....ll061206b.html

His latest column has this info:

"On October 3rd, Sony returns to the Three Stooges with Stooges on the Run. There's no details on content and I'm not sure why we're getting this if Sony indeed has plans to release Stooges material chronologically starting in 2007. But there you are."

If Sony is reading this, I'd like to say I've avoided all of their overpriced Stooges releases so far, hoping they'd do it right some day (and by "right," I mean release ALL of them, in chronological sets.) If they really start doing that next year, I'll get every release the day it goes on sale (unless they're screwed up in some other way, such as being colorized.)

#8 of 34 Heathen

Heathen

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone for the information....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
If Sony is reading this, I'd like to say I've avoided all of their overpriced Stooges releases so far, hoping they'd do it right some day (and by "right," I mean release ALL of them, in chronological sets.) If they really start doing that next year, I'll get every release the day it goes on sale...

My sentiments EXACTLY!

#9 of 34 Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 06:47 AM

To be fair I watched the colorized versions on the previous DVDs and they actually look halfway decent. I think they're better in the black and white though.

Also, count me in for the chronological sets. Hey Sony, you know what would really help sell blu-ray? Put ALL the shorts, remastered, in a blu-ray boxset. That would be incredible and surely would be a hot seller.

#10 of 34 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,198 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 08 2006 - 02:19 PM

All the shorts, remastered, and not compressed in MPEG-2.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#11 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 09 2006 - 04:57 AM

Much further down the line but welcome news finally is Sony's plans to release a series of Three Stooges sets of sequential B&W shorts encompassing two-year periods. The first set would potentially appear in the summer or fall of 2007 and would include supplementary material.

If memory serves, that's what I was told.

#12 of 34 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,000 posts

Posted August 09 2006 - 06:04 AM

I'm surprised there's so much support for these colorized shorts; I think it stinks, and I won't be buying them, just like I didn't buy the last batch. And of course, the shorts always being utilized are the same Curly ones.

I hope other Three Stooges fans will join me again in expressing their wants for the ENTIRE STOOGES COLLECTION - not just the tried and true Curly classics, but the lesser-seen Curly's, all the Shemp's, and even the Joe Besser comedies. The whole collection, each and every one in black and white.

End of Rant.

#13 of 34 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,394 posts

Posted August 09 2006 - 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
I'm surprised there's so much support for these colorized shorts; I think it stinks, and I won't be buying them, just like I didn't buy the last batch. And of course, the shorts always being utilized are the same Curly ones.

I hope other Three Stooges fans will join me again in expressing their wants for the ENTIRE STOOGES COLLECTION - not just the tried and true Curly classics, but the lesser-seen Curly's, all the Shemp's, and even the Joe Besser comedies. The whole collection, each and every one in black and white.

End of Rant.

I'm with you Joe on the complete sets. Its something I have wanted since the Laserdisc days and I agree the Colorized shorts are an abomination. In every way the equal to Pan & Scan.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#14 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 10 2006 - 07:32 AM

Well, be sure to express your wants by buying those sets when they start arriving next year!

#15 of 34 Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Well, be sure to express your wants by buying those sets when they start arriving next year!

Whoa, I didn't know this was happening. I will support these sets.

#16 of 34 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 10 2006 - 07:48 AM

From an earlier post:

Much further down the line but welcome news finally is Sony's plans to release a series of Three Stooges sets of sequential B&W shorts encompassing two-year periods. The first set would potentially appear in the summer or fall of 2007 and would include supplementary material.

Thank you, Sony! Release them, and Stoogaholics will come. . .

#17 of 34 Todd_W_Zimmrman

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 08:19 AM

I'm still waiting for Columbia/Sony to get a clue on how to properly package and release the Stooges on DVD. This latest disc tells me that they haven't.

I still refuse to buy any of the skimpy, random, and overpriced Stooge DVDs, especially these colorized abominations. Until they release a comprehensive (and BLACK AND WHITE) sets of shorts, I'm sticking to my VHS tapes (I now have all 190 shorts on tape).
THE GREAT DVD WISH LIST
TELEVISION: Dave Allen At Large, Department S (R1), The Goodies (R1), It Takes a Thief, Name Of the Game, Waterfront

MOVIES: At Sword's Point, Belles of St. Trinian's (R1), Cavalcade, Dangerous Moonlight, W.C Fields Collection (with MILLION DOLLAR LEGS)

#18 of 34 LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 09:30 AM

Yes, DISORDER IN THE COURT has been issued on DVD by Columbia "officially". It's on the COPS AND ROBBERS compilation. All four of these shorts, in fact, are already on DVD. So the sole purpose of picking this up would be to get the colorized shorts. In other words, this release is aimed solely at "fans" who have no taste or appreciation of movies and their history.

#19 of 34 MikeGale

MikeGale

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 10:25 AM

I am writing on the possibility that someone from Sony Home Video might read this: I am a huge Stooges fan, and I too have boycotted all the overpriced Stooges releases -- $25 for 4 shorts that have been previously released is simply a crime. However, I would indeed buy a chronological set assuming that Sony prices it competitively -- no more than $2.50/short, which would put it in line with collections of TV shows. (But sorry, NOTHING will convince me to buy any of the Joe Besser shorts!)

#20 of 34 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,017 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGale
(But sorry, NOTHING will convince me to buy any of the Joe Besser shorts!)

If they do them chronologically, of course, those are a long way off. I suspect they won't even get all the way through Shemp, much less Joe Besser.

However, I don't mind those Besser shorts. He was funny in his own way. Ironically, the first Stooges I ever saw (in a theater, when it was new) was one of those two where their sister comes back as a horse. I thought those WERE the Three Stooges -- they hadn't come to television yet, and I'd never seen Curly or Shemp.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow