Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Who else hates bonus discs?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

    Screenwriter



  • 2,341 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 29 2004

Posted August 06 2006 - 08:41 AM

As a consumer, I've always disliked the practice of exclusives only available at a single retailer. It just seemed unfair since not everyone lives near that specific store or the store in question may not price competitively since they have something extra to offer. When it comes to bonus discs, don't get me wrong; I appreciate that the studio offers this content but I don't see why it can't be included on all copies...or even posted on an official website so that more people have access to it.

But I just read today about two shows (Prison Break and Laguna Beach) that have bonus discs at not one, but two different retailers...and each bonus disc is different. I'm not a fan of either of these shows, but I think it's ridiculous that fans will either have to buy two copies or turn to eBay to have all of the content. Especially considering that both discs will offer something that fans want and most likely could fit on the set without having an additional disc.

It's an extremely irritating practice that has gone too far with different chains offering different bonuses for the same content.

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

    Screenwriter



  • 1,746 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 04 2005

Posted August 06 2006 - 09:11 AM

I agree with that completely. I guess the best bet is if you're a hardcore Prison Break fan who MUST have both discs, buy them both (since they are on sale pretty cheap) and open the other one and sell it on ebay, even used you should be able to fetch a recoup for the most part

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

    Supporting Actor



  • 651 posts
  • Join Date: May 12 2003

Posted August 06 2006 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
As a consumer, I've always disliked the practice of exclusives only available at a single retailer. It just seemed unfair since not everyone lives near that specific store or the store in question may not price competitively since they have something extra to offer. When it comes to bonus discs, don't get me wrong; I appreciate that the studio offers this content but I don't see why it can't be included on all copies...or even posted on an official website so that more people have access to it.

But I just read today about two shows (Prison Break and Laguna Beach) that have bonus discs at not one, but two different retailers...and each bonus disc is different. I'm not a fan of either of these shows, but I think it's ridiculous that fans will either have to buy two copies or turn to eBay to have all of the content. Especially considering that both discs will offer something that fans want and most likely could fit on the set without having an additional disc.

It's an extremely irritating practice that has gone too far with different chains offering different bonuses for the same content.

I know how you feel. I'm going through this same kind of crap with Target and the "Beavis & Butt-head vol. 3 collection. Target was supposed to have a bonus disc but every Target I've been to since Tuesday has not had it and nobody seems to know what is on it or if was even available. If it has nothing to do with B&B I'd be alot happier than not knowing for sure.

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

    Supporting Actor



  • 654 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2004

Posted August 06 2006 - 09:59 AM

It's quite annoying for the Star Trek sets, especially since the bonus disc content is included with the regular set in Region 2.

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul



  • 22,316 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 06 2006 - 10:44 AM

A bonus disc at one store isn't bad*. Different discs at different stores, that's lame.

While I get the completist attitude (and suffer from it to some degree), I wouldn't die if I didn't get two bonus discs and neither will anyone else. In other words, it's best to let some things slide and not worry about it.

*Assuming you have at least a reasonable chance of getting one (unlike Beavis And Butt-Head Volume 3)

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

    Screenwriter



  • 1,435 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 30 2004

Posted August 06 2006 - 04:35 PM

bonus disc exclusives don't make me happy either. Some bonus disc exclusives are really lame.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Josh_LaF

Josh_LaF

    Agent



  • 32 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 13 2006

Posted August 06 2006 - 05:50 PM

I used to not mind bonus discs when it seemed that there was only one for each set. Like there was only one Bonus Disc for Lost Season 1 available at Best Buy. But now it seems there are more than one for each set. Im torn on which Prison Break Bonus disc to get, the one from Best Buy or the one from Target. What bothers me the most is if studios think this material is important enough to produce, why isn't it important enough to be on all sets?

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

    Producer



  • 4,330 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2002
  • Real Name:Yee Ming Lim

Posted August 06 2006 - 08:35 PM

Pisses me off too, since I'm not in the US and have no chance of getting any of these bonus discs anyway. One incident that also pissed me off was the original Alien Legacy boxset, the extra disc was by mail-order only, which of course also rules out us foreign customers.

The alternative is... (verboten, so say it softly... bitt......)

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

    Supporting Actor



  • 621 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 13 2005

Posted August 06 2006 - 08:59 PM

I'm not terribly fond of them.

Haven't really seen one I "Must have", but I've had experience in the past with Wallmart and it's "Exclusives" tendency. I will not set foot in a Wallmart for any reason, so I find it highly annoying.

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

    Screenwriter



  • 1,942 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 29 2005

Posted August 06 2006 - 10:07 PM

I've gotten some great DVDeals at Walmart, so no complaints here. Posted Image Also, I don't understand this particular topic's premise about bonus discs missing. No matter what store I buy TV series sets that have bonus discs, it makes no difference. If the set itself offers extras on an extra disc, then the disc itself is always a part of that set. Posted Image

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

    Supporting Actor



  • 649 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 05 2002

Posted August 06 2006 - 11:07 PM

The "store exclusive" bonus discs are a marketing tool to get you to buy at a particular store.

Is it really fair for Best Buy (as an example) to be able to offer an "exclusive," but not let Target offer an exclusive of their own?

I got the "Lost" set last year at Best Buy that had the store-exclusive disc that had the clip episode. I suppose that was nice to have, but really, how often am I going to watch it?

I remember the days when the only way you could collect shows was to try and tape them all on your VCR. Or, buy them one episode at a time at a cost of about $15 for a tape with one episode on it.

Back then, the original "Star Trek" series would have cost about $300 to collect one season.

I am a completionist like all of you. However, we need to be realistic.

In general, most consumers don't have loyalty to a particular chain. They just go wherever they have the best price.

So, on these sets that are going to be popular, they throw in these bonus discs that are specific to different stores.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

    Producer



  • 4,944 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 03 2004
  • Real Name:Sam Favate

Posted August 06 2006 - 11:47 PM

I despise the practice of exclusive bonus discs and refuse to buy them. It seems the vast majority of them are not worth the extra effort anyway. Besides, how much more bonus material does one need? Don't we all have enough discs pushing for space on our shelves?

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

    Producer



  • 4,841 posts
  • Join Date: May 07 2001
  • Real Name:Jason
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
Also, I don't understand this particular topic's premise about bonus discs missing. No matter what store I buy TV series sets that have bonus discs, it makes no difference.

I think the rub, Jeff, is that the B/B sets at Target last week were supposed to have bonus discs and no one found one that did.

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

    Supporting Actor



  • 651 posts
  • Join Date: May 12 2003

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
I think the rub, Jeff, is that the B/B sets at Target last week were supposed to have bonus discs and no one found one that did.
Man, I tried 7 different Target stores and did not find a single one. I know it was available because I saw a set listed on ebay (where else) but missed out on it. Someone screwed up on this one.

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

    Producer



  • 3,394 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 12 2005

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:22 AM

I do remember getting an "exclusive" disc from BestBuy: it was Season Two of South Park and BB offered a special disc with the original, unedited pilot (Cartman had a father!) I watched it once and shoved it in a shelf somewhere. Later, I realized that I'm one of the fortunate few who actually have that disc. Everybody seems to want it from me. I think it's very unfair that that disc wasn't available to one and all. It's not "exclusive," it's "elusive...!"

Ah, the hell with them. This "bonus" junk always winds up being posted online anyway.
 

 


#16 of 41 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

    Second Unit



  • 436 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 08 2000

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob clamer
Man, I tried 7 different Target stores and did not find a single one. I know it was available because I saw a set listed on ebay (where else) but missed out on it. Someone screwed up on this one.

If it makes you feel better, I'd be shocked if that Ebay auction was an actual set with the bonus disc. It wasn't pictured - the seller could've just assumed it was in there because he bought it at Target without knowing the set had to be marked. Target did have signage right under the sets saying it was an exclusive - he just carried that over to the auction. It wasn't opened, so he doesn't even know..

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

    Supporting Actor



  • 651 posts
  • Join Date: May 12 2003

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF
If it makes you feel better, I'd be shocked if that Ebay auction was an actual set with the bonus disc. It wasn't pictured - the seller could've just assumed it was in there because he bought it at Target without knowing the set had to be marked. Target did have signage right under the sets saying it was an exclusive - he just carried that over to the auction. It wasn't opened, so he doesn't even know..
Of course now I cannot find the auction because it was sold and cannot find it in the completed items section but they did say it included the Target bonus disc.

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

    Supporting Actor



  • 651 posts
  • Join Date: May 12 2003

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:55 AM

This person had 3 of them but will be curious to see if they actually had the bonus content since the 3 auction just stated:
"Brand new, unopened! "BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD VOL. 3" Target exclusive!!"

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve Meil

Steve Meil

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 95 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 30 2004
  • Real Name:Steve
  • LocationAurora, CO

Posted August 07 2006 - 11:08 AM

Due to price considerations I usually buy all my TV on DVD at Amazon and sometimes at DDD.Most of the extra bonus material is not that good but it does seem unfair that this or that store should have a exclusive disc.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

    Screenwriter



  • 1,942 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 29 2005

Posted August 07 2006 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny P
The "store exclusive" bonus discs are a marketing tool to get you to buy at a particular store.

Is it really fair for Best Buy (as an example) to be able to offer an "exclusive," but not let Target offer an exclusive of their own?
I've bought a lot of DVDs from Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Circuit City, Walmart, and one or two at Target and in none of those stores have I ever seen them offer their own special bonus disc advertising the TV series sets. Either this is a new marketing method, or I've been buying shows in which no preview clip discs have been produced.


Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow