-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Dolby True HD and DTS HD receivers, when?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

    Screenwriter

  • 1,313 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2006

Posted August 05 2006 - 07:09 AM

I been looking around on the net for a sign of receivers that can decode the new HD formats via HDMI 1.3. I can't find anything, not on the manufacteres websites or well anywhere. Is there some underlying issue with HDMI 1.3 that is preventing it from being used in receivers or processors? I noticed the Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A1 has only a six channel out. I was under the impression the HD-DVD movies would soon be encoded with 7.1. This makes the on board decoders of the Toshiba not ready for the future, is there a reason why they did this?

Seth=L

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

    Screenwriter

  • 1,131 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 10 2006

Posted August 05 2006 - 08:55 AM

http://www.hdmi.org/...dmi_1_3_faq.asp

"According to announcements by manufacturers, new high-definition DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) and game machines (including the Sony PLAYSTATION® 3) will make use of capabilities added in HDMI 1.3. Digital televisions will be able to present images that are closer to real life than previously has been possible. These will include LCD TVs, plasma displays and rear projection microdisplays. The PS3 which is scheduled to ship in November 2006, will be the first source product to provide such high quality imagery to these displays. It is expected that hi-def DVD players will follow early in 2007 with HDMI 1.3 support. A/V Receivers that can decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD will start to show up early in 2007 as well. Please check with the manufacturers for details."

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

    Screenwriter

  • 1,313 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2006

Posted August 05 2006 - 09:04 AM

cool!

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney

    Second Unit

  • 281 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 25 2002

Posted August 05 2006 - 01:05 PM

Do you think that the HD-DVD players themselves will have capabilties to decode DolbyTrue HD/DTS HD 5.1? I seriously cant hold of buying a receiver, so if I can use analogue outputs via the HD-player, then im only missing out on HDMI 1.3 right?

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

    Screenwriter

  • 2,819 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 01 2000
  • Real Name:Phil
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 05 2006 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettisMckinney
Do you think that the HD-DVD players themselves will have capabilties to decode DolbyTrue HD/DTS HD 5.1? I seriously cant hold of buying a receiver, so if I can use analogue outputs via the HD-player, then im only missing out on HDMI 1.3 right?

No - you're stuck with the bass management in the player or what can be done with the analog inputs of your receiver. If these are OK for you then you are fine. Some receivers don't have bass management thru the analog inputs.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney

    Second Unit

  • 281 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 25 2002

Posted August 05 2006 - 03:55 PM

Ah ok. I've actually never used my analoge inputs, only used Optical and Coax. So if i can set crossover etc through analog it will be ok?..is that what you mean?

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

    Screenwriter

  • 2,819 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 01 2000
  • Real Name:Phil
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 06 2006 - 03:44 AM

Yes - the player probably with have some basic bass management. Some rec'rs have bass management over the analog inputs. As long as those suit your needs it will work. The other advantage of going HDMI 1.3 is that by going analog you're probably going thru an extra analog to digital conversion. Not sure what, if any, impact it will have on sound quality and if you're getting that set-up w/o the ability to do HDMI you won't have that comparison opportunity.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z

    Agent

  • 38 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 26 2006

Posted August 06 2006 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Goldberg
http://www.hdmi.org/...dmi_1_3_faq.asp

"According to announcements by manufacturers, new high-definition DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) and game machines (including the Sony PLAYSTATION® 3) will make use of capabilities added in HDMI 1.3. Digital televisions will be able to present images that are closer to real life than previously has been possible. These will include LCD TVs, plasma displays and rear projection microdisplays. The PS3 which is scheduled to ship in November 2006, will be the first source product to provide such high quality imagery to these displays. It is expected that hi-def DVD players will follow early in 2007 with HDMI 1.3 support. A/V Receivers that can decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD will start to show up early in 2007 as well. Please check with the manufacturers for details."

So there's no chance of having any before Christmas? I really wanted to have my home theater setup by then. What exactly does early 2007 mean? I've been waiting since early this year to get it. Once this new format or whatever is out, will that be the last thing I'll have to wait for for a long time?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

    Screenwriter

  • 2,174 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 14 1999
  • Real Name:Chad Rouch

Posted August 07 2006 - 05:12 AM

Does anyone know if the new Dolby formats will ever be available on over the air HD broadcasts? I know I'd need a new box, but Bright House is pretty good with keeping up with the latest technologies.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,193 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted August 07 2006 - 02:28 PM

I would not hold my breath for Dolby True HD to be avaiable on over the air broadcast, cable or dish. And I believe its a matter of bandwith that they will not be offering something like Dolby True HD. Plus I believe that would mean the cable companies and dish companies would have to make compatible set top boxes for the newer formats.

I am hearing that new recievers could be out as early as the end of the year and as late as the end of next year. From emails that I have recieved so far it sounds like companies like Adcom and Marantz might be putting out product with those new formats in mind. Denon looks like they are taking a wait and see approach to offering the new surround formats in there product. If Denon is smart they will offer these decoding options before other companies cash in way before they think about doing it.

I am planning on recievers to be available by the end of the year and I hope there is a good selection of brands to choose from. I will be upgrading and replacing my current Yamaha RX-V995 that is being used in my HT system. I am considering companies like Adcom, Rotel, Pioneer Elite and Denon if they get of there rears and make a reciever with the new formats included.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 


#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

    Screenwriter

  • 1,131 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 10 2006

Posted August 07 2006 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
I am hearing that new recievers could be out as early as the end of the year and as late as the end of next year. From emails that I have recieved so far it sounds like companies like Adcom and Marantz might be putting out product with those new formats in mind. Denon looks like they are taking a wait and see approach to offering the new surround formats in there product. If Denon is smart they will offer these decoding options before other companies cash in way before they think about doing it.
FYI - Denon and Marantz are both owned by D&M Holdings, and share many technologies. It's very likely that they will both release receivers with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD around the same time..

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,193 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted August 08 2006 - 02:46 AM

I hope you are right about that as I really do like the product that Denon puts out. I remember that at one time both Denon and Yamaha had the same company stamped on the back of there hardware (Nipon Electric).

This is Denon's response to me asking if they would be offering any of the new surround formats in there products.

Denon
"We are still looking into it maybe sometime down the road."

Marantz
" We are in the process of launching an entirely new line of products in
Sept. None of those will include DTS HD or DD HD as the chipsets are
not available. Those surround formats would happen in the new HD/Blu
Ray DVD players and then hook up to the Marantz via 7.1 channel analog
input."

Adcom
" Cirrus has just released engineering samples of the next generation
DSP's for use in surround processors and AV receivers that will auto
detect and decode the new formats you mention. Typical development on a
new DSP platform can vary greatly due to resources to write the code and
do the hardware engineering. Large tier 1 companies will likely have
the products before premium brands like ADCOM. The exception would be
"premium" brands that source their products from Asian OEM/ODM's. ADCOM
does it's engineering in-house and does not re-brand any receivers or
surround processors. To venture a guess I might say tier 1 will have
goods available mid-2007 and other folks somewhere around 14-months to
24-months out. But that's a very much speculation. There are too many
variables."

I have not gotten a response from Yamaha yet and I am hoping to hear from them soon. And Sony for get them its painfull trying to get information from them at all. And here is something that makes me wonder if Adcom uses Cirrus chips has just released engineering samples of the next generation DSP's. I am wondering why Marantz did not mention this in there response as they to use Cirrus chips?
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 


#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

    Screenwriter

  • 1,313 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2006

Posted August 09 2006 - 04:05 AM

What about firmware upgrades for current high end receivers and processors? Are the processor chip sets in the newer receivers and processors capable of decoding these formats with just a firmware uprade or do they need hardware?

Seth=L





Forum Nav Content I Follow