What's new

Who has something to say - Emotiva LPA-1 (1 Viewer)

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
It's a great amp. It sounds very good; somewhat warm. It is also built like a tank, looks beautiful and is a powerhouse. I had one of these before upgrading to the MPS-1 and was really amazed at what ~$600 could get you.

Adam Stoltz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Stoltz
I hear good things from this unit, it looks like some owners use the amp with the outlaw pre-pro and well as the emotiva ul. I plan on picking up the combo here in a few months...looking forward to it.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I beta tested these units and absolutely love the sound quality they produced. The amp is a beast.

Nhan_H

Second Unit

It was/is my first foray into the world of separates. Sorry, I've not own another amp previously. I only had my Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver to compare them against (head-to-head, that is). Other beta testers compared it against higher-end receivers they have/had. And I've seen other owners comparing the amp against makes like Arcam and Outlaw.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I like it. . .on paper anyway. . . I've kinda ignored this company thinking of it as one more bottom feeder but I just read everything I could get my hands on concerning this amp and as hard as I try I only read good things. . .

At 70 pounds shipping weight she has substance alright. . . I think I will give it a try myself. . . Could be a life saver for my vintage Polk 4ohm speakers. . . I use Monitor 10/7/5 and 4s but all are rated 4ohm. . .So far it hasn't been an issue but it is in the back of my mind. . .

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
Well probably by the end of the month I will give it a try - if anyone else has gotten one please let us know - meanwhile the worst I will be out is the shipping back....

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went ahead and called a/v123 today and ordered a LPA-1 - now I have to explain it at home ! ...I will post after I get a chance to do some listening.

Adam Stoltz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Stoltz
Keep us posted Ron, I plan on picking up the set later this year. Have fun with the new toy :)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Man I am obsessed with this amp. . . .

I gotta try it. . . No magic here . . . I don't understand why someone hasn't done this a long time ago. . .I think there is a huge market for good cheap amps. . .Done right it could be a hell of a deal. . .

Good amps are out there for a grand or so. . .It is not such a stretch to think a decent multi channel with decent power and the ability to drive 4ohm speakers couldn't be had for half that. . .Take out the middle man. . .use decent componets, not state of the art but decent innards. . .at least a step or two up from a receiver amp. . . .

I'm comming honey . . .honest. . .

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm thinking some of the same things...and if it doesn't comply - I would be among the first to say so. But on the other hand, I will also sing its praises if need be.

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the amp. It sounds really good...not as bright as some of the other cheaper amps. The support AV123 provides on their products as well is better than I have ever received at a retail store as well. The amp is also beautiful compared to anything else in its class and a ways above.

I can tell you going from a Yamaha 2500's internal amps to a separate amp, there is a pretty good difference in what you will hear even with a cheaper amp like this.

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator

Wow Doug that Yamaha 2500 looks like a nice receiver too. If this amp can improve upon your sound, it should improve my situation also.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
My HT system is all vintage Polk Monitor 10 (front) Monitor 7 (rear), Monitor 5 (rear surround) and a single Monitor 7 for center all rated 4ohms. . . I have not had trouble yet however I run them all at small. . .SVS PB12ISD2 for sub. . .Heat is slightly more than using 8ohm speakers and at times I do run out of gas. . .

I love the energy from the Polks and would rather not switch them out. . . This amp could well be a lifesaver for me. . .I know it would be a bunch cheaper than replacing my speakers. . . .

Maybe in a few weeks. . .we'll see. . .

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
just rec'd my LPA-1 amp from AV123 last night - by the time I got it all hooked up I didn't get a chance to listen much - I am listening a bit this morning at low volumes so as not to disturb everyone but I can tell that it is going to be a keeper ! 5 yrs warranty ! I will give it a workout this week and let you know on this forum.

Adam Stoltz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Stoltz
so..........what do you think Ron, or can we get you away from your new toy :) Let us know the scoop on the new gem.

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
regarding the new Emotiva LPA-1 amp,

I have had only limited time (a few hours) to listen intently and I would say there is little or no difference at low volumes but distinct differences at moderate volumes. I note that the vocals seem to be clearer and the music more full range. I can't say that I've heard things that I never heard before but it is an enjoyable, rather neutral sound overall. Doesn't knock my socks off but I want to give it some more time....also need to try a movie or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks