What's new

Aliens and Ghosts.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I tend to beleive there's more concrete evidence of ghosts than there is of aliens, considernig all the weird footage and video we have.

But as I'm watching the Travel Channels docu about the Arizona Pheonix lights... it just seems o bvious (to me at any rate, judging by their stiff necked reaction), that the government knows something conclusive.

It may very well be secret military stealth technology or flight vehicles. But with all the various critters still yet to be discovered on Earth, and the various people around the globe... are we still so un able to accept the fact that aliens exist if they just told us?

Sure, it would take a long while to get used to if they where all super freaky looking... but how much different could they be than your average sci fi movie?

Some government official might be reading this now and saying, 'If you only knew...'

Opinoins? anyone in arizona that night? Or had their own ghost, ufo experience?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then............... :)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I believe in ghosts (spirits, angels, whatever you want to call them), although I think most hauntings are either people's imagination or outright hoaxes. As far as aliens, I don't believe we've ever been visited and I tend to believe we are alone.

Think about all of these so-called alien ship sightings-- bright lights in the sky. These aliens are so damn smart and so technologically advanced they can travel light years to visit us, yet they need to fly around with their lights on in the dark. If aliens could travel interstellar space, I would think when they got here they wouldn't need to turn on their lights to travel at night. Makes no sense.

I think intelligent life is much more unique than many think. Of the billions of species and types of life that have inhabited the earth, only ONE has developed the ability to travel into space. And this is on a planet that has very favorable conditions for life.

This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...lance&n=283155 is a good book on the subject.

The Rare Earth hypothesis

Microbial life is common in planetary systems.
Advanced life (animals) is rare in the Universe.

We did not quantify what "rare" means in the book but the main intent was to convince readers that advanced life is much rarer than implied by movies, TV and many science fiction books. The abundance of advanced life in the Universe is not known but it is much more likely to be extraordinarily rare than as common as usually portrayed in the media.

The hypothesis is based on what is known or is predictable about the physical environments that exist in the Universe and what is known about the history of the Earth and its life. From an astronomical perspective, the Earth is a very special place that differs drastically from the other planets in the solar system. Its surface temperature, atmosphere, oceans and long term stability cannot be expected to be common in the Universe. Our planet as-we-know-it is even rare for Earth if the full history of the planet is considered. Only in the last 10% of its lifetime has Earth had plants and animals on its surface, an unusual state that many consider to be "normal". It is a sobering reality that on Earth, a magical planet that provides a seemingly ideal habitat for life, it took 4 billion years of planetary and biological evolution just to develop animals. Microbial life was easy and it occurred early in Earth history but animals only recently arrived and they have already been nearly wiped out several times during mass extinction events.

The main conclusion of Rare Earth is that Earth is a very special place. Many circumstances and events had to happen just right for Earth to remain a healthy habitat for advanced life. It appears the our planet won the comic lottery and we should cherish our very special place and time in the Universe.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
If someone that's in a position to know were to show me absolute proof that aliens exist and that they have visited us before my reaction would be this; I'm not surprised. In fact I fully expect there to be "intelligent" life beyond our tiny planet. THey may be millions of years more advanced than us or could be thousands of years behind us. If they're able to here from their planet (especially if millions of light years away from us) I would think they're probably at least 500 years ahead of us if not more.

One thing I've always wondered about is how we've been sending radio signals of different types out into space, deliberate and non-deliberate, for many years. Are we basically saying "come and see us" or "come and rape us?"

Ghosts are something I've never thought that much about or cared about. I figure it's very possible that ghosts exist but don't really care if they do.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Now if they were a race of blue Twi'ileks that wouldn't be so bad.... ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I did not see that TV program, so I can’t comment on its content, but if you think that there is a government conspiracy to cover up the truth, that has been an idea since the 40s (Roswell, etc.). Now this is 60 years to keep a secret. Considering that the government is not able to keep their secret programs on how they spy on terrorists for five years, why would you think that they would be able to keep everything hushed up about aliens for even longer?

This does not mean that I do not believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere, just that the conspiracy theory has no credibility.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It is a BIG universe out there. I am sure that there is life on other planets. :alien: I do not think that they could visit Earth with out us knowing it. Think about USA air space:
  1. Over 2,000 planes in the air at any given time.
  2. All the airport radars including major airports and local.
  3. Military surveillance satellites
  4. NORAD early warning system
  5. Private communication satellites
  6. Radio telescopes scanning the stars.
  7. Many other star gazers with smaller telescopes.
I think it would be one heck of a cloaking system to get through all that. Also if you traveled 100s of light years to get to another planet, would you say "Hi" or sit back and just watch? With how violent the human race is, I think I would sit back & watch.
Dave

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

It's just like those who think the moon landing was faked by the government and it's all just a big coverup. Those who think this fail to consider that we were in a race to the Moon with the Soviets. They were closely watching, listening, and spying on our program. They were undoubtedly monitoring our space transmissions. If they had any shred of evidence that we were faking it, they would have been all over that.

One thing about UFO sightings that I always though pointed to terrestrial explanations or outright hoaxes was the fact that the shape of the ship always seems to mirror the times. As our technology changed and advanced, the shape of the reported UFO did too. We went from early cigar-shaped sightings to saucer-shaped, to today, which is mostly triangular. Why? If aliens are so advanced that they are traveling interstellar space, then you wouldn't think their technology would look so radically different over the course of a short 50 years. But strangely, when we mostly had airships and zeplins, the UFOs were cigar-shaped. Today withour angular stealthy fighters, the sightings are almost always triangular. I'd be much more impressed if someone reported a UFO which was shaped differently than anything anyone had ever thought of.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

You know there's no moon. It's just a holographic projection placed by scientists. Before that, they introduced a drug that made us there there where planets and stars....

:)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I did not see that program, yet if you are referring to the 'chain of lights' that appeared, after which the sighting of was talked about for days in the media; mainly over one state (I believe that was AZ).

I saw it. It happened. (What created it. YMMV?)
Standing in my front yard in Texas.
With 2 pilots
One retired from American Airlines who started his long career on DC-6's and has seen many strange phenomena.
Unusual sights like balled lightning traversing between a terrified flight attendant's legs; as it tracked down the center aisle of the aircraft nose to tail.

He was facing North, we had our backs to it, he said what’s that (?) pointed and we turned and looked.
From our trajectory it looked like a slightly curved track (parallel to ground) of lights on a chain.

Talking about it several times, none of us have come up with an explanation of known possibilites which could have created it.
So
Pulling out the 23% of my personality traits which match Data (over in the Star Trek thread)
We conjointly assume the military was 'up' to something. It had no similarity to displays of meteorite showers or shooting stars with such symmetry in its chain-like construction.

The weirdest part for us was that a couple of days later when the news stories from AZ started making national feeds, that we had seen it in the sky in Texas the same night (we’re assume it was the same night.)

We all intended to research the altitude (elevation) required for us to have see in Tx what was reported in AZ, allowing for curvature etc, but we never got round to the footwork.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd imagine that some of the sightings, like the one in AZ, probably have to do with government projects and technology development. No sense in having people or other countries know about all the little and big things that are in the works.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Aliens? I'm sure there's life out there somewhere besides our own. Do they visit us regularly? Doubtful. With the sheer number of photo and video cameras out there, you'd think someone would have snapped pictures of something more than a round, blurry object.

As for ghosts, they're right up there with unicorns and leprechans to me. Sure we'd all love for them to exist since it would give us some proof of life after death. But once again there's never been any credible evidence of their existence.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's arrogance to feel there is no life outside our planet and it's arrogance to think they've "visited" us. After all, if you are a superior being who has conquered the vastness of space, would you schedule one of your trips to a planet where Paris Hilton is worshipped like a god?:D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, didn't a bunch of aliens come to earth to select John Edwards as the earth represnetative for an intergalactic contest on South Park? Besides, people go to zoos. ;)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I'll tell you what, coming from someone who lived in AZ most her life, there are most certainly aliens out there..... but we refer to them as illegals!

Honestly, I've never met an alien ( that I know of) and if they do exsist, I'm sure they aren't hanging out on our boring uncivilized planet. heck maybe they are but they are all in Mexico partying withe the tequila!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Not to veer too far off course but the government admitting to UFOs/Aliens that happened to land here would have the following effects at this point in time:

1.) Total loss of trust in a government that already experiences various degress of mistrust.

2.) Collapse of most major religious systems which are predicated on the belief that humans were created superior or have a place of special standing due to divine intervention, etc.

J

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Re: 2)

They would come with their own Book of Garp.
Theistic philosophers and Wittgensteinian fideist's would get busy (right away) melding allowances for our dual world histories.

Provided they didn’t try to eat us - the world’s religions would be just fine.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Again I have to disagree. They would find a way to rationalize it away and adapt. Quite a few momentous scientifc discoveries have challenged some of the foundations of the major religions (Evolution of course comes to mind), yet they haven't gone anywhere, have they? The need to believe in a higher power is fundamental to human nature, and nothing is ever going to stop that.

People will believe whatever they want to believe regardless of reason, and this applies to both points.

--
H

Kevin T

Screenwriter
for those interested, i will be taking orders shortly for the official home theater forum tin foil hats so that ghosts, aliens, gremlins, leprechauns, and zombies can not steal your thoughts. only $19.95!!!!!!

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks