Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MASH The Complete Series Boxed Set

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:38 AM

Looks like I'll be dumping my MASH DVD sets on eBay to pay for this upcoming collection. Don't know about you guys but I'd pay an extra $100 if they would include a MASH Leather Jacket. HEHEHE ...

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=6194

#2 of 59 OFFLINE   Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 09:09 AM

Sweet. Thanks the edge of all those seasons going for cheap occasionally. Might as well just buy them all in one go when the mood hits.

#3 of 59 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 01:49 AM

I'm also thinking about alternatively maybe giving the sets to my dad and buying him a DVD player and giving him the sets as a sort of christmas present. My dad originally got me addicted to MASH way back in the 70's when me and my brother had to watch the shows that he liked to watch. Now, I'm a huge devoted fan of this series.

#4 of 59 OFFLINE   Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 03:19 AM

Interesting, though - no notation on the TVSODVD blurb about episode commentaries - to me that would be the one extra which would cause all who bought the original season sets to have buy the new master set. Without commentaries, the master set might not be a must buy

#5 of 59 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Bee
Interesting, though - no notation on the TVSODVD blurb about episode commentaries - to me that would be the one extra which would cause all who bought the original season sets to have buy the new master set. Without commentaries, the master set might not be a must buy

Because that would involve them changing the existing discs. If you look at all the "complete series" sets you'll notice that they all include a bonus disc (or two, or three), but the previously released seasons stay the same. That's because they can use the same masters to produce the new discs, then just change the disc art. If they added commentaries then they'll have to go and change the menus, and create new masters, which drives up their costs. They're more interested in selling something which has 90% of the costs already paid for through the other season sets.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 59 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 06:34 AM

I almost wish I was a MASH fan, that set sounds sweet, and 11 seasons for under $200 (and don't forget DDD sale coming up) is a bargain

#7 of 59 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 05 2006 - 07:29 AM

This is totally awesome!! I'm glad I never got around to starting on MASH. Goody goody!!
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 59 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 07:49 AM

Best Buy and Target will have the sets for around $150-175, most likely. Posted Image I'm looking forward to this set. I'm expecting that Best Buy will have the set price between $100-150, though.

#9 of 59 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 10:03 AM

As happy I'm to hear that they've decided to package all related MASH shows/movies in one set - it was inevitable, what I'd love the studio to do for us people that purchased each season as they became available is to provide us with those extras mentioned for the series set in Season 11. Does anyone think they would?

Joe

#10 of 59 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
Looks like I'll be dumping my MASH DVD sets on eBay to pay for this upcoming collection. Don't know about you guys but I'd pay an extra $100 if they would include a MASH Leather Jacket. HEHEHE ...

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=6194
One of the reason why I never bought the individual sets. Knew sometime there would be a complete set.

#11 of 59 OFFLINE   Roger_S

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 03:24 PM

I dislike how people say "I'm glad I never bought the season sets" because I'm one who did. To me, doing this now is a slap in the face to everyone (like myself) who has loyally bought each season as it came out. I'll buy the 11th set but am not going to buy the entire series a second time.

#12 of 59 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_S
I dislike how people say "I'm glad I never bought the season sets" because I'm one who did. To me, doing this now is a slap in the face to everyone (like myself) who has loyally bought each season as it came out. I'll buy the 11th set but am not going to buy the entire series a second time.
No disrespect was intended. Just come to realize that these shows will eventually come in a complete set sometime down the line. MASH was/is one of my all-time favorite TV shows and I still watch the reruns when they are one. I do buy season sets from time to time but not as much as some people and loyalty has nothing to do with it.

#13 of 59 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 08:32 PM

I only got the first 3 seasons, then "lost steam" as I got sidetracked with all sorts of other TV releases. I suppose it might make sense to offload those 3 and get this now instead of the remaining 8...

#14 of 59 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 02:05 AM

I bought the first 8 seasons, but I plan on giving them to my sister and her family, then I'll grab this set. I'm curious to see what the "extras" are, exactly.

Glad to see tvshowondvd posted my news submission!

Posted Image

#15 of 59 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepepe
As happy I'm to hear that they've decided to package all related MASH shows/movies in one set - it was inevitable, what I'd love the studio to do for us people that purchased each season as they became available is to provide us with those extras mentioned for the series set in Season 11. Does anyone think they would?

Joe

Nope. They're putting the extras in the big set, and they want you to rebuy the seasons to get it.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 59 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 03:39 AM

I bet they'll also recycle the same old lame photoshop cover art for this set.

#17 of 59 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 07 2006 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_S
Yep. I know how you feel. I bought a bunch of the individual Star Trek TOS 2 eps DVDs. Then they come out with those nice full season sets. Grrr... In their defense, season sets came popular a bit after Paramount started releasing those.

Releasing all extras for those who bought the older versions would seem the right thing to do.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#18 of 59 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 08 2006 - 01:53 AM

well i only bought the first 4, for cheap during b1 g1 free sales, so here they go to ebay.
i think i only opened the first one too.

seems a shame that an offer for those that already bought all of them isnt available.

"if you already own all the mash sets, send us the upc's to recieve the new materials."
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 59 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 12:14 PM

I also find it odd that they are including Altman's film with this set, considering that it has just been reissued again with other Altman films.

#20 of 59 OFFLINE   Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 12:33 PM

I agree that this is a big FU to those of us who have bought the sets as they've been released over the past 5 years. The least they could do is include the bonus discs with the final season--then those who don't have any of the sets will get a nice deal on all of them, and those of us who bought them separately won't get the shaft.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow