What's new

COOPER, BRANDO, AND NEWMAN BOXSETS IN NOVEMBER (2 Viewers)

Charles H

Screenwriter
On Video is listing the following boxset titles and details: BRANDO (TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON, JULIUS CAESAR, REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE, 2-disc MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, THE FORMULA) on November 7; GARY COOPER (2-disc SERGEANT YORK, DALLAS, THE FOUNTAINHEAD, WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE, SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, THE HANGING TREE) on November 7); NEWMAN (THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS, HARPER, THE DROWNING POOL, POCKET MONEY, THE LEFT HANDED GUN, THE MACKINTOSH MAN, and SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME) on 11/14. Newman fans will be pleased with the commentaries on THE LEFT-HANDED GUN and SOMEBODY...but they are not using a Robert Wise commentary which was recorded many years ago.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Here's the link.

The Paul Newman Collection Seven-disc set with new-to-DVD "Harper," "The Drowning Pool," "The Left Handed Gun," "Mackintosh Man," "Pocket Money," "Somebody Up There Likes Me" and "The Young Philadelphians"; $59.92. "Harper" will be available separately for $19.97. (Warner).

* Harper(1966)
Commentary by screenwriter William Goldman, introduction by TCM host Robert Osborne.

* Drowning Pool (1975)
Vintage featurette "Harper Days Are Here Again."

* The Left Handed Gun (1958)
Commentary by Penn.

* The Mackintosh Man (1973)
Vintage featurette "John Huston: The Man, the Myth, the Moviemaker."

* Pocket Money (1972)

* Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)
Commentary by Newman, Robert Loggia, Wise, Martin Scorsese and film historian Richard Schickel.

* The Young Philadelphians (1959)
Commentary by Sherman and film historian Drew Casper.

The Marlon Brando Collection Six-disc set with "Mutiny on the Bounty" (two-disc set) and four Brando films new-to-DVD: "Julius Caesar," "The Formula," "Reflections in a Golden Eye" and "Teahouse of the August Moon"; $59.92. "Bounty" is available separately for $26.99; "Julius Caesar" is available for $19.97. (Warner).

* Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
New digital transfer from restored Ultra-Panavision 65mm elements with the soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Alternate prologue and epilogue sequences not seen theatrically; two vintage featurettes: "1964 New York World's Fair Promo" and "Story of the HMS Bounty"; Marlon Brando movies trailer gallery; new featurette "After the Cameras Stopped Rolling: The Journey of the Bounty"; two vintage featurettes: "Voyage of the Bounty to St. Petersburg" and "Tour of the Bounty."

* Julius Caesar(1953)
Introduction by TCM host Robert Osborne, new featurette "The Rise of Two Legends."

* The Formulas (1980)
Commentary by director John G. Avildsen and screenwriter Steve Shagan.

* Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
Vintage behind-the-scenes featurette.

* The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)
Vintage featurette "Operation Teahouse."

Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection Six-disc set with new-to-DVD "Sergeant York" (two-disc Special Edition), "The Fountainhead," "Springfield Rifle," "The Wreck of Mary Deare" and "Dallas"; $49.92. "Sergeant York" is available separately for $26.99; "The Fountainhead" for $19.97. (Warner).

* Sergeant York (1941)
Commentary by Jeannine Basinger, classic cartoon "Porky's Preview," vintage short "Lions for Sale," Cooper trailer gallery, new making-of featurette "Sergeant York: Of God and Country," vintage biographical profile "Gary Cooper: American Life, American Legend."

* The Fountainhead (1949)
New featurette "The Making of The Fountainhead."

* Springfield Rifle (1952)

* The Wreck of Mary Deare (1959)

* Dallas (1950)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Wow!!!!

An unbelievable trio of boxsets!!!

All will be mine!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Warner!!!!!!!!!!!

...I'll add a few more exclamation points:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All of these are mine! Warner keep them coming. Also, don't forget "Cool Hand Luke" next year for it's 40th Anniversary.

Crawdaddy

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Great News about the boxsets. Sad News for me: No "PRIZE" or "HELEN MORGAN STORY" in the Newman set.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'll get the Newman box and will get SERGEANT YORK, MUTINTY ON THE BOUNTY and REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYES seprately. And yes! Where is Natalie Wood's box set? INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, GYPSY, PENELOPE, a SE: or SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS, SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL and THE GREAT RACE.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
aside of the Newman set, which has a couple I'm familiar with, SERGEANT YORK and MUTINTY ON THE BOUNTY are the only ones I'm interested in in the others, unless someone can convince me other wise. ;)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

According to the information posted earlier, of the titles in the Brando box, only 'Mutiny On The Bounty' will be available separately, not 'Reflections In A Golden Eye'. Like you, I would prefer to buy Reflections separately (as well as Mutiny) and pass on the others, but it looks like I'll have to buy the box.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
It's really great that these are coming out on DVD, just too much at the moment for me.

The Marlon Brando set is my fav

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Great news about the Penn commentary on LEFT HANDED GUN. I imagine he's also doing one for the BONNIE AND CLYDE SE due next year (40th anniversary). Wonder if he'll do any more.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
I think I have died and gone to Heaven!!!

The Newman boxset I have been hanging out for!

Pocket Money is one out of out left field. It wasn't very well received. I really like it. Co-incidently I was watching it last night and it is quite funny. Newman plays a nice (if extremely dopey, but endearing) comic part and Lee Marvin as his sidekick is hysterical. An unfairly maligned movie.

A Newman commentary for Somebody Up There Likes Me!!! Awesome! In fact I am stunned at the number of commentaries available.

Gary Cooper's boxset is mine as well.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

Is touted for 2007 - I can't wait for this set either!!!

BTW - Natalie Wood refused the role of Joan Dickenson in The Young Philadelphians with Paul Newman. She was placed on studio suspension as a result.

Corey

Screenwriter
i'll be getting all 3 of these sets. where's the spencer tracy set though???
hope it includes:
-the actress
-northwest passage
-tortilla flat
-edward, my son
-test pilot

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
This is a little annoying. I want REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (being an Elizabeth Taylor fan) but don't really want to buy the entire set. I don't really see why they're doing this, other than to make the customer shell out money for films they may not want.

Andy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's simple to maximize unit sales! Warner probably feels some of those titles won't sell enough individually to make a profit. Also, it makes the retailers happy by using less shelf space and fewer UPCs.

Anyhow, at least Warner is releasing classic titles which is more than you can say about many of the other studios.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks